AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an NEC 260K and am considering purchasing a panamorph. Is anybody using a panamorph with this projector or the 240k? How do you like it? What differences do you see? Would you recommend it? For those who use the panamorph with other projectors, the same questions.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I own the p752 lens. i use it for the sharp dt 200. it improves resolution and reduces pixel structure for 16:9. i bought it used (less than $200) and i don't think it is worth it to buy new for more than $750

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's a potential Power Buy being made by AVS at the $3,500 and over Forum for the Panamorph Lens. Head on over there and post a message if you're interested in getting one. I think if this lens can be had for a couple of hundred less than its current AVS special price, it's be a great bargain and upgrade for all 4:3 PJs (mine's a 240K). But as jcebedo1 pointed out, at its current retail price, it's probably not entirely cost-justified; the additional money can be used to upgrade a whole new PJ....

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The current special buy is a pretty good deal though already, it's worth pointing out :). Saves you $200 over retail.

-MP

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Jason,

I have LT260K mated with Panamorph PSO-U100 (pro-model)

First of all, the offset : the offset of PJ itself is ~18" then the lense add another 6-8" . For ceiling mount, you must have atleast 10ft ceiling

Second: The aspect ration is NOT perfect 16:9, I would say 16:9.5 as I must use PJ blanking to cut off spilling image.

Yes, you gain resolution/brightness with the lense - but unless ALL your source are anamorphic, you must remove the lense for non-anamorphic material which I found inconvenience (I keep 4ft wooden stick in the corner of my HT room for reach to the lense and slide it off/on - my PJ is ceiling mounted)

Bottom line: I don't think it worth $$ for the lense, I would spend little extra $$ for 720p PJ if I can do it over

Regards

Thuan

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I use a ISCO II on my M20X. It works well for what I need it to do (shortens my throw and gives me 16:9). I have a Panamorph as well. I prefer the ISCO.

I'd say an anamorphic lens is worth around $300-$400 these days at most in terms of performance price ratio. Dunno what the retail prices are these days (heck I have 2, one I don't even use).

Anything over $500 puts you withing spitting distance of the next projector category and I'd just follow Thuan's advice. It is unlikely that we'll see a 1280x960 or higher rez presentation projector to use an anamorphic lens on. I dunno how many more iterations of the XGA projectors will be all that competitive in comparison to 16:9 projectors.

You're better off just banking the money for your next projector purchase. Between that and the cost of a new bulb you might be able to get a whole new machine when your current bulb needs replacing.

So get it used if you can or just skip it.

Nigel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.