AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...not buy another Sony receiver. His old 6.1 (matrix) Sony receiver just bit the bullet. He says he'd like to spend no more than $500, but I think I can get him to $750 (I'm a fantastic son!). He has 5.1 speakers (3 Klipsch front/center, not free standing, but wall mounted. Maybe 2' tall?), 2 tiny JBL rears, and a 10" JBL powered sub (I asked him for models on the speakers, but he has yet to get back to me). He has an old CRT Sony Wega 32" TV with component inputs. Here are the list of requirements:

3D TV ready (for when he upgrades his TV)

discrete inputs (for easier programming of remote)

Latest HD audio codecs (I think that's standard anymore)

Output to component video (to make programming remote easier)

pre-outs (would be nice, not necessary)

RS-232 (or control of receiver through LAN port for his Android phone)

Pandora (Would be nice)

Auto Room Setup (again, would be nice)

Dual Zones (again, a would be nice)

I'm not well versed on the newer receivers out there anymore. I've heard that Onkyo has had less than stellar products out lately. By that I mean, they've been known to have hardware problems. I'd like to get him a Denon, but that might just be a pipe dream. Any help would be appreciated!

Jim

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal /forum/post/20873735

...not buy another Sony receiver. His old 6.1 (matrix) Sony receiver just bit the bullet. He says he'd like to spend no more than $500, but I think I can get him to $750 (I'm a fantastic son!). He has 5.1 speakers (3 Klipsch front/center, not free standing, but wall mounted. Maybe 2' tall?), 2 tiny JBL rears, and a 10" JBL powered sub (I asked him for models on the speakers, but he has yet to get back to me). He has an old CRT Sony Wega 32" TV with component inputs. Here are the list of requirements:

3D TV ready (for when he upgrades his TV)

discrete inputs (for easier programming of remote)

Latest HD audio codecs (I think that's standard anymore)
Output to component video (to make programming remote easier)

pre-outs (would be nice, not necessary)

RS-232 (or control of receiver through LAN port for his Android phone)

Pandora (Would be nice)

Auto Room Setup (again, would be nice)

Dual Zones (again, a would be nice)

I'm not well versed on the newer receivers out there anymore. I've heard that Onkyo has had less than stellar products out lately. By that I mean, they've been known to have hardware problems. I'd like to get him a Denon, but that might just be a pipe dream. Any help would be appreciated!

Jim

No receiver will do hdmi video in to component video out. Most here agree with your reliability assumptions. Sony is low end and onkyo has been best on paper, but too many failures/bugs the last 3 years. Last years yamaha line from newegg etc. is very popular right now. And Denon is always up there but usually a little pricey.

·
Registered
17,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 /forum/post/20873944

Most here agree with your reliability assumptions. Sony is low end and onkyo has been best on paper, but too many failures/bugs the last 3 years.

Completely false .. neither has any more reliability issues than any other similar product .. and I'm sure Sony would take exception with products like the STR-DA5600ES ...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically, my father lives in an SD world. I feel very bad for him :) It's not by choice, but by necessity (due to where he wants to place an LCD TV requires moving a door). So basically, he has an HD DirecTV receiver, but uses the S-Vid out. DVD player that uses components and that's really it. I want this receiver to future proof him. I know he'll jump on the 3D bandwagon. He's wanted me to take him to 3D movies (FFFFUUUU). So after some looking, I'm hoping I can convince him to get a Denon. Hopefully, a AVR-2312CI. If only for the multiple component inputs. I'd like to keep his TV on VIDEO 4(component) and then have the receiver do all the video switching for him. I just hope I can find a decent price on the receiver. Any one else have a better suggestion? Thanks much!!!

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's actually a reference to an old Soviet spy during the Cold War. But I get that a lot.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
No matter what AVR your dad buys he may not be able to take advantage of the latest sound formats until he gets a new tv. Can that Denon switch component video sources and utilize HDMI audio input? Does it allow you to assign HDMI audio input to an analog video input? This sounds backwards to me - I haven't seen anyone using an AVR in such a manner. I don't think my Integra DHC 40.1 can do that. He'll likely be stuck with coax or optical audio input - not that it's a big loss since the differences are not large between HD-Audio and optical/coax digital audio. The Denon may be able to assign HDMI audio input to component video input - read the manual and see.

As for any manufacturers reliability problems you need to look at market share. Sony sells the most receivers (AVR & stereo) - and why we see so many problems here related to Sony. Harman Kardon and Onkyo probably run a close second. Obviously the more units a manufacturer has out there the more you are going to hear about it. And human nature dictates that the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' - which in this case means the exposure to complaints. You don't hear much about brands like Krell since they are so expensive - but trust me - they have their share of problems. If Sony or HK or Onkyo were to have the same problems as Krell in the same percentages they'd be in big trouble.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After doing some looking, I'm going to attempt a sell on the Denon AVR2312CI or the 3311CI. I'm not worried about the HD audio codecs with a component SD video output. He doesn't even have a BluRay player yet. When he gets a new HD TV, then we'll get him a BD player for Christmas or something.

I'm in the middle of reading threads about the 3311CI. I am not sure if it supports upconverting SVid/Composite to Component. That's the big thing here. I'm also trying to see if it can overly it's GUI on the component out and the HDMI 3D out too. That seems like a feature only this year's model has. Are there any other gotcha's I'm not thinking about? Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whelp, the Denon AVR-3311CI was the winner. And now I'm insanely jealous. I might even have to get one for myself... The 3D passthrough, multizone audio, and the single input on his current TV sold him. Pandora and having an Android app was just icing on the cake. Thanks for your input all!

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. Talk about pressure to have the latest and greatest. I found out (after reading more) that I could get an amazing deal if I called into a dealer. I called an authorized dealer, and picked up two AVR3112CIs for $30 less than last years model (but then you add shipping at $80/receiver, but that's still only $50 more than last years model). One for my dad........and one for me. OH MAN. I put the pressure on myself. I couldn't let my dad have something nicer than I had. haha. But it's this years upgraded model and I now have to figure a way to tell my girlfriend. These are the times that try a relationship...Wish me luck!

Jim

PS: I'm replacing an older Pioneer VSX-D608. The rest of my theater is already HD ready. I just need this beauty to round it out! HD AUDIO CODECS HERE I COME! Oh man, now I'm thinking I need to upgrade my speakers...I've been bitten by the "upgrayedd" bug!!

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
It is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must be the luckiest guy in the world. She said she was fine with it. It's my money etc. I guess we'll see. Either way, I think not upgrading my main HT receiver for ~12 years is pretty good!

·
Banned
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal /forum/post/20875423

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. She said she was fine with it. It's my money etc. I guess we'll see. Either way, I think not upgrading my main HT receiver for ~12 years is pretty good!

Why do you need to check with a girlfriend on how you spend your own money ? This is one of the joys of not ever getting married. You will never need to ask permission to do anything with your money. If you need to ask for permission now, you should put a stop to that dynamic right away. Does she check with you when she wants to buy expensive clothing ? I would bet not. Anyways, enjoy the new receiver, dude. It is a great piece of gear.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 /forum/post/0

Why do you need to check with a girlfriend on how you spend your own money ? This is one of the joys of not ever getting married. You will never need to ask permission to do anything with your money. If you need to ask for permission now, you should put a stop to that dynamic right away. Does she check with you when she wants to buy expensive clothing ? I would bet not. Anyways, enjoy the new receiver, dude. It is a great piece of gear.

Called respect ...

·
Banned
308 Posts
Perhaps it is just me, but I don't tolerate my girl trying to control my finances. I do not control her finances either. She can buy whatever she wants with her own money she earns. I buy whatever I want with my money I earn. Many friends of mine have money problems with women. Having to ask permission to buy anything is all part of the problem. When you are not married, you should have 100 percent control over your own cash, IMO.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal /forum/post/20875423

DANGER, DANGER!! Usually when a woman says she's "fine", there's trouble ahead...just not right away. I'm betting she'll revisit this issue some (inopportune for you) time in the future...and it may not be pretty. Just sayin'

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 /forum/post/20875928

What he said ^^^^

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 /forum/post/20876115

Called respect ...

Umm, I think you have that mixed up with "kitty" whipped.

Reactions: blackssr

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not so much. I respect her, and I want her to know what I'm spending money on. It's just practice for later when we get married. I don't see anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal /forum/post/21020923

Not so much. I respect her, and I want her to know what I'm spending money on. It's just practice for later when we get married. I don't see anything wrong with it.

+10 Nothing wrong with working together Just celebrated my 30th Anniversary and proud of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.