AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about grounding my setup?

I'm going off of this video and article here: hxxp:// reviews.cnet.com/4520-11249_7-6264597-6.html?tag=rb_mtx;wp_body (replace the xx's in with tt's for the http part)

If the pole that my antenna is attached to runs all the way down to the concrete/earth of the first floor, do I need to install any sort of ground? Or instead of attaching an end of the grounding wire to a cold water pipe, could I just attach it back to the pole that the antenna is on?

Never did I think I'd need to use an outdoor antenna... I already subscribe to cable, have an HDTV, and have an HD receiver box from my cable company... but it seems like my cable company doesn't offer these certain digital channels, so I need to get them OTA.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You still need to ground it normally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/15523889

You still need to ground it normally.

I see. So, I connect one end of the grounding wire to the grounding block, and the other end to a cold water pipe? I can't connect that end to the pole (that runs right into the ground) that the antenna itself is on?

And is there anything special about the grounding wire? Can I just use wire that I originally bought for use as speaker wire?

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2 Rampage /forum/post/15522952

How would I go about grounding my setup?

If the pole that my antenna is attached to runs all the way down to the concrete/earth of the first floor, do I need to install any sort of ground? Or instead of attaching an end of the grounding wire to a cold water pipe, could I just attach it back to the pole that the antenna is on?

Never did I think I'd need to use an outdoor antenna... I already subscribe to cable, have an HDTV, and have an HD receiver box from my cable company... but it seems like my cable company doesn't offer these certain digital channels, so I need to get them OTA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2 Rampage /forum/post/15543541

I see. So, I connect one end of the grounding wire to the grounding block, and the other end to a cold water pipe? I can't connect that end to the pole (that runs right into the ground) that the antenna itself is on?

And is there anything special about the grounding wire? Can I just use wire that I originally bought for use as speaker wire?

the antenna mast ground (to electrical code in USA and best practice) has to be taken to an electrical ground rod (8 ft in ground) as close to mast as can.

the coax shield has to be grounded to a grounding block before and close to where the coax comes into your house. this grounding block is connected to the antenna mast grounding rod. the antenna mast grounding rod is connected to your house electrical grounding system also using 6 AWG wire, it should be connected in the same area that house grounding system connects to its grounding electrode (water service main or grounding rod).

it may seem like a lot, though the purpose for such is to keep a high voltage charge to your antenna or mast (could be from a lightning bolt partial strike nearby) from entering your house and setting it on fire. it also may keep a high voltage charge caused by a lightning strike up to a mile or two away from entering your electronics and destroying them.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You don't need to use 6 gauge wire between the ground block and ground point, 10 gauge copper will work (I don't think you could even get 6 into the bond point on a ground block), 6 gauge is only needed between the ground rod and the building ground point to bond the electrical system together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts