AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1287 Posts

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's set this all straight and start to re-educate people. I am probably the loudest critic of the whole "24p" bug.

Intel continues to get slammed by most of you yet actually can do 24p as well as any of the others.

As tested by AVS users (and others) the big three companies output the following when trying to do correct 23.976...

ATI: 23.978 (+0.002)

There are numerous reports of ATI being inconsistent at best with correct 24p playback.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ati%2023.978&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=593&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=XsL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&biw=1366&bih=593&source=hp&q=site:avsforum.com+ati+23.978&aq=f&aqi=&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=44b3839bd44fe786

NVidia: 23.972 (-0.004)

One example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=480

UPDATE: NVidia with recent drivers and custom resolution seems to be more consistently getting 23.976 +/-0.002 which is about as good as you can get out of the box.

Intel with UAC off: 23.973 (-0.003)

Intel with UAC on: 24.000 (+0.024)

So for those of you with the opinion that Intel is the only one that can't get this correct I would think again.

I would also question what those of you who bought an ATI or NVidia card to "fix" the Intel problem are really seeing/experiencing in regards to the "24p bug".

Looking forward to your comments/backlash/criticism/anger/confusion/arguments.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well I have an ATI card, but I didn't buy it because of the 24p playback bug. I bought it because the integrated graphics of the intel i3 was not cooperating with my system at the time. I have considered trying it again since all the updates have come out. (SP1, driver updates, etc.)

However, I would really like to know the REAL WORLD effects of these frame rates. In other words, it seems like being off by 2 or 3 or 4 one thousanths of a second would not really affet the picture much. For myself, although I do not look for skipped frames or slight pauses, I never see them when playing back video at either 59.9~ (59hz) or 23.9~ (23hz).

So I am just trying to figure out what everyone else sees . . .

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw /forum/post/20400982

Well I have an ATI card, but I didn't buy it because of the 24p playback bug. I bought it because the integrated graphics of the intel i3 was not cooperating with my system at the time. I have considered trying it again since all the updates have come out. (SP1, driver updates, etc.)

However, I would really like to know the REAL WORLD effects of these frame rates. In other words, it seems like being off by 2 or 3 or 4 one thousanths of a second would not really affet the picture much. For myself, although I do not look for skipped frames or slight pauses, I never see them when playing back video at either 59.9~ (59hz) or 23.9~ (23hz).

I'd be interested to see what differences you notice, if any, if you tried the intel graphics again.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Is that "with UAC off" only for Sandy Bridge or does it work with Clarkdale too?

And how does the coordinate with having to have it on to use Shark007 to get HD Audio?

At any rate, I don't even notice a problem with it.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/20401385

Is that "with UAC off" only for Sandy Bridge or does it work with Clarkdale too?

And how does the coordinate with having to have it on to use Shark007 to get HD Audio?

At any rate, I don't even notice a problem with it.

Edit: Corrected. This seems to only apply to SB.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/20401415

You sure about this? From what I recall, the UAC off fix only works for Sandy Bridge...

Actually I misread that while researching the information for this thread.

You are correct in that Sandy Bridge appears to be the only platform capable of this.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw /forum/post/20400982

Me too. I've had an ATI card for a while now, tried the whole 59/60 vs 24p thing and never noticed a difference. So I just set it to 60hz and never looked back. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/20401491

Me too. I've had an ATI card for a while now, tried the whole 59/60 vs 24p thing and never noticed a difference. So I just set it to 60hz and never looked back. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

That is not ignorance. This is having enough knowledge to be able to just enjoy what you have.

My eyes are my judge. When I like what I see, I am also content to watch the video/movie in its entirety.

In all my years of PC video playback, I have never once concerned myself with fps data.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 /forum/post/20401927

That is not ignorance. This is having enough knowledge to be able to just enjoy what you have.

My eyes are my judge. When I like what I see, I am also content to watch the video/movie in its entirety.

In all my years of PC video playback, I have never once concerned myself with fps data.

Sage advice from Shark007. I just see so many people on here worried about the 24p problem or waiting until Llano/IvyBridge/etc to jump into a HTPC.

And this whole thing is really not an issue.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
And would only be an issue if your TV was actually outputting at 24p *and* you have sensitive enough eyes to notice it. Pretty rare combination. Not to say it doesn't drive some people mad, but the vast majority will never see it, even if they do have a true 24p HDTV.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Having once been a diehard audiophile I have since learned that if you aren't aware that a problem exists, don't go looking for it. I don't know what to look for in detecting the "24p bug" and I have no desire to find out what it is I should be seeing. I'm perfectly content watching Blu-Ray rips on my HTPC the way things are. If I knew what the 24p bug looks like it would ruin whatever enjoyment I get out of the media.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 /forum/post/20403018

What does turning UAC off do? and how do I do it?

Start

Control Panel

Action Center

Change User Account Control Settings

Move the slider to the bottom most setting Never Notify

Accept the change

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
UAC prevents somebody (your wife, children etc.)/something (virus) from changing the system accidentally/intentionally. If I were a system integrator, I would never recommend my customers to turn it off (as I can't take responsibility for results). Personally I never turn it off for the same reason.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
UAC prevents somebody (your wife, children etc.)/something (virus) from changing the system accidentally/intentionally. If I were a system integrator, I would never recommend my customers to turn it off (as I can't take responsibility for results). Personally I never turn it off for the same reason.
Eh. There are a lot of people on here that find it an annoyance and turn it off with no ill effect.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
You seriously leave that thing on on your own pc? I can see for someone you built or whatever, but that annoying thing is the first thing I kill after a reformat.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Is that so annoying? (Vista's UAC is surely annoying.) I tested virus and UAC was pretty effective to protect OS (perhaps those who mention disabling UAC casually have never experienced this). It has been also very good to stop my wife/kids changing the system. Anyway I would always add a comment on possible consequences when mentioning disabling UAC to somebody.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok so how does it benefit us to disable it? I haven't disabled it and so far everything seems to work, even movies in mb and live tv and I don't know what everyone is talking about stuff "breaking"?

1 - 20 of 1287 Posts