AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List of problems with MY (and several other owners) Philips DVDQ50 via progressive output:

1) Vertical Position Error: Image is shifted upward by about 4 inches or so. Result: Uneven black bars in 2.35:1 material and cropped foreheads on 1.81:1 material.

2) Audio dropouts: I've experienced this on numerous DVD's. Especially the Bonus Godfather Material Video Flagged DVD.

3) Stairstepping, aliasing, chroma bug: On highly saturated colors (reds, oranges, yellows, blues, greens) there seems to be a pixelation or stairstepping effect happening around the edges of objects. For example, the WARNING label (red lettering) displayed on boot-up of a DVD movie. I could walk down those steps on the "W" I also noticed on one scene of Video Essentials where there were opposing black and white lines, there appeared to be a rainbow effect where they met. So something is going wrong with luminance and chroma. I also noticed some video artifacting on the Godfather Bonus DVD (Video Flagged) which shouldn't be happening with the Sage chip. It doesn't happen on m $189.00 Panasonic RP56.

Some may think I'm being too irate but for $500 I don't expect ANY problems.

Let's band together people and kick Philips in the butt for doing this to us. Call 1-800-531-0039 and report the problems. Add your complaints to my CASE NUMBER which is US-2-562959 and maybe we can get some action going. Don't even attempt to request a firmware upgrade, they won't know what you're talking about. These are obviously minimum wage individuals sitting at a terminal that has answers to "simple" questions like "Where's the power button located??"

I feel sorry for the people who aren't experienced enough to look for or know about these problems. I was in Circuit City last night and they now have the Q50 and I reported the problems to one of the workers and it was like I was speaking a different language. But, then again, it was Jerk-it City...so much can't be expected.

Mad in Connecticut

Anthony Parenti

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think it's quite clear that Philips in not interested or organizationally capable of customer service, at least in regards to their DVD players. However, the average person on this board is considerably more attuned to such problems/issues, compared to the average joe who buys a dvd player.

The answer...go buy a Panasonic RP-91 or 56, and make sure the distributors you purchase from know the issues and why you are returning your Q50. Hopefully a sufficient number of returns should alert Philips to some sort of problem.

RV

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Why don't people just NOT buy one and avoid this mess altogether?
I can tell you that the reason I purchased the player (and why I think others have purchased it) is due to its excellent deinterlacing capabilities. I did have all of the above-mentioned problems with the player, but when it worked, the picture quality was amazing.

I have since returned the player to OneCall, and am back to using my Toshiba SD5109, which doesn't look nearly as good. Does anyone know of another player using the same chipset (Sage?), other than the Skyworth, that procduces as good of a progressive image as the Philips Q50? If there is one, I would love to get it.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I'm using the Panasonic RP56 and I am very satisfied with its performance.

-Shawn

·
Registered
2 Posts
My problem is that I want a progressive, preferably SAGE, DVD player that supports SVCD and DVD-R.

RP56 doesn't support SVCD or DVD-R

RP91 doesn't support SVCD

Does anyone know of a good progressive scan that supports SVCD?

TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
My problem is that I want a progressive, preferably SAGE, DVD player that supports SVCD and DVD-R.

TIA

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christensen

TIA
Skyworth claims to support SVCD, although I haven't personally verified this. Given the market into which this machine is aimed, I expect that it will work correctly, however.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm waiting for two things:

1. The 2nd part of SHOOTOUT II to come out so I can see in detail how the Q50 does,

AND

2. The very first poster in this forum to say they have a Q50 that they bought from a US dealer and it has no - freezes, chroma bug, or stair-stepping along the eges of colors.

Is this too much to ask? (haha)

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is currently a Denon available with the DCDi chip.

It is the model DVD1600, but it is a little bit expensive.

Here is the information and specs from Denon's website

DVD-1600

DVD-Audio/Video Progressive Scan Player • Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja decoding engine • 3:2 Pulldown Detection • DVD-Audio with Digital Low-Pass Bass Management, 100Hz crossover point • Plays CD/VCD/CD-R/CD-RW Discs, *DVD-R Conditionally • MP3 Decoder for encoded CD-R/RW Discs • 10-bit, 54-MHz Video DAC • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs • 3MB Memory Buffer to decrease layer change pauses or pickup dropouts • Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability • Built-in Dolby Digital, dts and DVD-Audio decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • PCM, DD, dts compatible Optical Digital Output • Component, S-Video and Composite(2) video outputs • Passes Below Black(Pluge) for proper Monitor Calibration • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 3.2"h x 9.9" d • SRP $549 • Available NOW!

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is currently a Denon available with the DCDi chip.

It is the model DVD1600 i Think, but it is a little bit expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.