AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Upgrading my home theater setup. I'm running Legacy Audio speakers (2 for now, 5.1 eventually), Sony HAP-S1 and Marantz SR-6006.

I'm set on purchasing a Parasound A-51 for the amp, but now I'm stuck on the pre-amp side of things. Luckily, I've narrowed my search down to the following -

• NAD M17
  • Classe Sigma SSP
  • Parasound P7 (Best bet, but I'm sure I'll eventually want some digital decoding :()
So, which route would you go? I'm absolutely fascinated by the simplicity of the Classe, but my dealer won't stop raving about the sound quality of the NAD M17.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
If you plan on using the Marantz SR60006, then why do you need the NAD or Classe?
As for the P7, its a very good analogue pre-amp. Especially if you have a TT.
I use a HK AVR for movies/ BD dts concerts. And the P7 for everything else...TT, DVD-A, SACD, 96/24 downloads from my MacBook Pro thru a DAC.
When it comes to simplicity, not much beats the P7.
No deep menus to go into to be able to change a setting...
Change, on the fly, balance L/R; F/B, sub output level, sub XO, main L/R XO.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Have you considered using a AVR with pre-outs as a pre-amp? You'll get the best bang for the buck.
SQ with a good pre-amp is usually better than an AVR...even Marantz, HK AVR.
And as I stated, the simplicity of the P7 is much preferred over having to go into AVR menus.
For the sake of argument, lets say the Marantz & HK AVR SQ is the same as the P7....for my preferences, the simple operation of the P7 wins the contest.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you considered using a AVR with pre-outs as a pre-amp? You'll get the best bang for the buck.

Sometimes its not about bang for the buck but SQ, and if our Fuzzy friend is already looking into Classe, NAD M17 etc. I am pretty sure he is not willing to take compromises :)

Anyway, if you get around to audit the Classe let me know, its on my "watch list" as well after deciding against the latest Pre/Pros from Marantz.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yeah, the Marantz receiver is 'temporary' until I'm able to splurge on a 'good' pre-amp. The Marantz served its purpose when I owned my Golden Ear SuperCinema 5.1 system, but after upgrading the speakers to Legacy Audio Signature SE's, I think it's time for a system overhaul. As much as I would love the Parasound P7, I think I would want the decoders and optic some time down the line. Just looking for a simple, two component system (i.e. pre-amp & amp) ;)

·
Registered
30,660 Posts
Upgrading my home theater setup. I'm running Legacy Audio speakers (2 for now, 5.1 eventually), Sony HAP-S1 and Marantz SR-6006.

I'm set on purchasing a Parasound A-51 for the amp, but now I'm stuck on the pre-amp side of things. Luckily, I've narrowed my search down to the following -

• NAD M17
  • Classe Sigma SSP
  • Parasound P7 (Best bet, but I'm sure I'll eventually want some digital decoding :()
So, which route would you go? I'm absolutely fascinated by the simplicity of the Classe, but my dealer won't stop raving about the sound quality of the NAD M17.
Of these, the only one that is a preamp is the Parasound. All the others are preamp-processors. Note that the Classe Sigma and the NAD M17 both lack multichannel analog inputs and cannot accept multichannel analog sources.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Of these, the only one that is a preamp is the Parasound. All the others are preamp-processors. Note that the Classe Sigma and the NAD M17 both lack multichannel analog inputs and cannot accept multichannel analog sources.

Yeah Kal,
I noticed that as well, but from the OP's last reply, he only wants a pre/pro and a power amp. Unlike myself, I use an AVR as a pre/pro along with a P7 for everything else.

So if he only wants one, he either gives up digital connections, or gives up analogue connections.

·
Registered
30,660 Posts
Yeah Kal,
I noticed that as well, but from the OP's last reply, he only wants a pre/pro and a power amp. Unlike myself, I use an AVR as a pre/pro along with a P7 for everything else.

So if he only wants one, he either gives up digital connections, or gives up analogue connections.
Depends on how you see it. I think few people really need both. There are pre-pros with stereo and mch analog pass-through circuitry along with full HT processing. The lowest priced ones I know are the Marantz AV7702 and the Emotiva XMC-1. I have reviewed both the NAD and the Classe and they will handle stereo inputs with analog bypass; if that suits the OP's needs, both can be recommended.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hiho,

can I please resurrect this thread? I have a similar issue as OP: I would soon like to upgrade my current setup (Denon DBT-3313UD, AVR-X5200, Pro-Ject Turntable) as I'd like to have 4k compliant hardware. From a home-theatre perspective this is easy as: just wait for the two Denon components to both become 4K compliant, that's it. But: I also have a couple of recently restored eighties Class A power amps and an active subwoofer, which sound amazing, so I'd really prefer a pre/pro so I can use these grunty powerhouses. Is there something that's 4k compatible, handles the latest hollywood codecs (dolby dts, etc), my SACDs and completely vanishes between source and speakers but still delivers hollywood goodness?

Any suggestions?

Happy to learn from your experiences.

FB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts