AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bulbs are selling for $300-500,but their real cost in 10 times less. Lamps from which manufacturers are used in popular projectors sanyo z1, infocus x1, sony hs10? How marked these lamps? Where it is possible to see pictures of these lamps? Who makes 100-120 W lamps with term of life 6000-8000 hours ?

Excuse me for many questions.

Thank You in advance,

vsv

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok,on my last question i can answer :)

these UHP lamps made by Philips and widely used in RPTV like newest Samsung HLM617W/507W/437W(has HD-2 DLP chip 1280x720)!

180W lamp for HS10 looks like manufactured by OSRAM VIP R 180/16 170W 1X1 (if so, real price $38 or less;)

Guys, please, share your info about lamps!

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Don't know who makes the bulbs for which projectors. All I know is they're a damn rip-off and a nice way to milk pj users out of a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
What they call replacement lamp is really a whole assembly around it as well. Replacing the bulb itself is somewhat harder as you can't touch it and must install it at precisely the right depth (how many twists) and angle.

Read up on the D-ILA people experimenting with different lamps to see how it goes. It is true thought that you are paying a high cost. It is a (expensive!) razors and razorblades type of marketing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
What they call replacement lamp is really a whole assembly around it as well. Replacing the bulb itself is somewhat harder as you can't touch it and must install it at precisely the right depth (how many twists) and angle.

Read up on the D-ILA people experimenting with different lamps to see how it goes. It is true thought that you are paying a high cost. It is a (expensive!) razors and razorblades type of marketing.
Namlemez ,allow me not agree with You.

I nothing can't say about bulb for D-ILA projectors, but Phillips bulbs can replace each user. I don't think that this operation is more complicated than insert PC card in slot of the motherboard.

regards,

vsv

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
"The bulbs are selling for $300-500,but their real cost in 10 times less."

On what basis do you make this statement? They're not just "light bulbs", they're high pressure arc lamps (but I'm not saying they're not overpriced, just not a smuch as you say they are).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've actually wondered whether it would work to replace one of these expensive lamps with a "normal" 200 - 250W halogyn lamp (the kind that they use in the old 16mm projectors that can be had for around $30). If the voltages are different (probably) then one can always install another PSU just for the new lamp. Anybody think this might work?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz
"The bulbs are selling for $300-500,but their real cost in 10 times less."

On what basis do you make this statement? They're not just "light bulbs", they're high pressure arc lamps (but I'm not saying they're not overpriced, just not a smuch as you say they are).
My friend has bought UHP lamp (65 euro on ebay.de) for its old Philips4600 and price specified
here several bowl out...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
I've actually wondered whether it would work to replace one of these expensive lamps with a "normal" 200 - 250W halogyn lamp (the kind that they use in the old 16mm projectors that can be had for around $30). If the voltages are different (probably) then one can always install another PSU just for the new lamp. Anybody think this might work?

yup, try it and let us know.:D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have a great idea ... how about if we all just bought the AE300 and dumped everything else! (yes, I am trying to be funny while proving my point)

If Philips only had to make 1 lamp ... they could mass produce it, thus, it would sell for cheaper. But they can't ... we need 200 different models of projectors to make us happy ... so they need to make 150 different types of lamp, usually at a very low volume.

So (again, attempt at humor), we should blame ourselves for the cost of lamps. Simple business practice we all learned our Freshman year ... :D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
So (again, attempt at humor), we should blame ourselves for the cost of lamps. Simple business practice we all learned our Freshman year ...
Not really. Even if there were just one projector, lamp prices would still be much overpriced.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Not to worry. At the rate the prices are dropping on projectors it will soon be cheaper to just toss out the old PJ and buy a new one! :rolleyes:

It is a little odd that the PJ as a whole is dropping in price but the bulp is holding steady.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Great post Artur.

Although I am never pleased to dip into my wallet to purchase a replacement lamp, looking at the process .. the R&D needed .. environment maintained during production .. and the 2 hands of mark-up it passes through to get to us ...

I can understand the cost.

It's not like they are producing the 60 watt bulb for your bathroom vanity.

(listen to me defending the lamp prices ... I sound like an old post by AJ) :D

That said, a TRUE solution to the problem could be for the patent on some of these to be released to the general public. I can guarantee you if these could be made in Mexico, Japan, China, Tiawan, Indonesia, etc. under a "no name" manufacturer REGARDLESS of the high-tech environment needed ... we could EASILY shave off $150 per lamp.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Enjoy, people!:)

The 1,425 watt LightDrive 1000 produces 135,000 lumens of sunlight-quality light and has a design lifetime of 60,000 hours with no light depreciation.
read more

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CV63
Not to worry. At the rate the prices are dropping on projectors it will soon be cheaper to just toss out the old PJ and buy a new one! :rolleyes:

It is a little odd that the PJ as a whole is dropping in price but the bulp is holding steady.
Well given the new Z1 and X1 it seems like a better deal to buy a $1500 projector today and replace it with another $1500 projector in 2000 hours than buying a $2500 projector and buying a $500 replacement bulb in 2000 hours.

:)

Nigel

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In this tread
Samsung HLM507W lamp price is $435

PhilB wrote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
Bulb price update.

I called SamsungParts last week to double check openloop's findings. The person that answered gave me another number - for another Samsung distributor. That was odd. It was the same company than JahBool found - Harman Panson. They also quoted me $220.

I then called back SamsungParts and asked why I had been given another distributor. I got no explanation, but did get a quote for $200, just like openloop.

Then this morning I came into work and there was a messag on my voice mail from Joe at Samsung returning my call about the HLM507W bulb. He quoted $150 with a 20000 hour life!!!. I don't recall calling Samsung about this but it must have been several weeks ago. Pretty amazing turn around time.

I don't know what to make of all of the different quotes, it doesn't seem that anyone know what the hell is going on. If the OEM really specs the bulb at 20000 hours, that would explain why Samsung is stating such a high lifetime (8000 hours). Talk about a fudge factor.

-phil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.