AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this quest but haven't gotten a straight answer yet. I have a 1270 nice little unit . Thinking of upgrading but also read about the lens flapping mod, does this make that much of a difference in sharpness? Would it be compatible with lets say electromagnetic focus? If so would this be the mod to do? Which would keep me from upgrading . Then if the mod is so good why then change units? would like to hear from someone thats done the mod, and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Doing the lens flapping mod makes a significant difference. Did it on my 1252 and was really pleased with the result. However, soon thereafter I upgraded to an XG75 which blew the 1252 away. It's all a matter of references. The picture with a modded 12xx will be good but not as good a one of the higher end PJ's.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I recently completed the flapping mod on my 1272q.

If you can already achieve a good focus over 90% or more of your screen then the flapping mod will likely not gain you enough to be worth the considerable time. "Good focus" means you can see dots in the vertical parts of the H's in the PJ's internal focus pattern.

For me tweaking astig made a bigger difference than the lens flapping, my focus was already quite good using the spacers.

My newly running HTPC is what really is making the 1272 satisfy me for a while longer :)

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.