AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was watching a couple of rented DVDs on my set when I noticed a definite ringing effect on both the upper and lower letterbox bars (a light shadow line under the top and over the bottom bars from side to side). I have had my current DVD player and plasma screen for just a few weeks, so I had a short panic attack, thinking 'has this been here on all of my movies and I just have not noticed it?

So I put in few of my own DVDs & a third rental and did not notice this effect, making me feel much better. I've seen mention of the ringing effect posted around here, but not in relation to the letterbox bars. Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?

By the way, the two movies I noticed this on were a really bad transfer (I could not watch more than about 10 minutes of it) of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' and - there is no accounting for taste here - the semi-recent re-issue of 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes'.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have also seen this at the movie theater. Last example was the new James Bond film, Die Another Day. I have always wondered whether this stripe was a byproduct of the process of making a theatrical print. They projected this on a 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 screen, but I could see the telltale lines.

There is also edge enhancement in the movie. A halo surrounds the General's uniform when he questions Bond. I guess they even fake prison cells, digitally, nowadays.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Ollie, there is no such thing on film. :) There are no letterbox bars on a 2.40:1 film, either. :) There are frame lines, but on a 2.40:1 print they are abou .0020" high and should not be visible on the screen. Are you sure you didn't see it in a "digital" theater?

Vern Dias

·
Registered
976 Posts
I must have very good eyes, because the shadow lines on the top and bottom of the picture were very visible, and look very similar to what we see on dvds. I don't think the theater was using a dlp projector. It was a normal UA movie house. Perhaps if anyone else is about to see the film, they can report back on what they see.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Ollie - so the movie theater wasn't running a constant height screen like most others? (which they're _supposed_ to do if they want to follow SMPTE standards).

Normally the top and bottom edges would be (should be) flush with the screen edge or with a bit of overspill. Most are slightly curved as well... (at least in my crappy google-plex huge theaters in these parts!)

Kal

·
Registered
826 Posts
As others said, it's a very noticeable effect on discs with too much Edge Enhancement (EE). Check out Forrest Gump for example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.