Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I know this has been talked about, but is anyone watching letterboxed movies in full mode? I really hate watching a distorted movie. I am wondering if this is going to cause burn in (or uneven burn). As far as all other viewing, it is pretty much full screen HD or justified SD. I figured that as long as you're not watching movies back to back, you're probably going to be O.K. Any comments from experience. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Only if you watch a lot of letterboxed movies or any aspect that leaves bars straight for several hours/ days.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I watch a lot of letterboxed DVD titles and have the same concern. What I do is for every letterboxed movie I shift the picture vertically up or down, choosing position pretty much randomly. Set is Panny 42PWD6UY, I use its native remote for this.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
I've had the Panny ED plasma for 1 1/2 years. I'm a movie fanatic and many of the DVDs I watch are 2:35:1 letterboxed. It has caused no problem at all on my plasma. Of course I also play movies whose aspect ratio fills the screen too, but I _never_ zoom the image on a 2:35:1 flick. The reason I love having a widescreen plasma is being able to enjoy 2:35:1 movies in their original form.

We also use our display as our TV. We use the variety of "fill the screen" modes for that because I don't care about preserving the 4:3 look of regular TV and because it's also more enjoyable to watch that way (not to mention it reduces the risk of 4:3 burn-in).

Overall if your plasma receives a varied diet of aspect ratios you should not be concerned about letter-boxed movies. Relax and enjoy. I do.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'll second Rich's advice. We've only had our Panny PWD5 for nine months, but I see absolutely no signs of burn-in. I adjusted the contrast to a reasonable level as soon as we installed it and noone has ever complained about the picture lacking brightness or contrast. We watch all broadcast 4:3 material using the JUST mode and all DVDs at thier original aspect (we have a number of older film titles that are 4:3 and 1.66:1). I've never shifted the vertical position of letterboxed movies, although it's not a bad idea. As Thumper stated, by mixing up the aspects of your viewing, you are greatly reducing the chance that you will ever introduce any noticible burn-in transitions.

-Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
Of course I also play movies whose aspect ratio fills the screen too, but I _never_ zoom the image on a 2:35:1 flick.
Rich,

Glad to hear you've never experienced permanent burn-in from watching 2.35:1 movies without zooming. Do you notice any temporary image retention from the black bars above and below the widescreen image when watching a full-screen image after a 2.35:1 movie? I do notice temporary retention after watching unzoomed 2.35:1 movies, which has made me tempted to zoom to full-screen, although I prefer the OAR. Do you also notice such temporary retention?

·
23,030 Posts
In almost a year since I've had my P50, my viewing have not changed

sinced the 1st minute I turned it on. I watch DVDs in OAR, sometimes

2 2.35:1 movies in a row, and have no signs of burn-in. Just like

everyone else, I do vary my content and usually stretch run-of-the-mill

SD. "Ghosting" of black bars after watching a 2.35:1 is normal

and nothing to worry about. You really have to abuse your plasma

to get permanent/real burn-in.

larry

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a new (4 week old) 4340. While I will notice a little bit of burn in after watching a movie in letter box format, after about five miinutes of showing full screen TV, it is completely gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.