AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 503CMX. I need to know what equipment I would need to fill the screen when watching letterboxed DVD's. I am concerned about burn-in. BTW, when I watch a DVD on this plasma, I do not get "bars" like you see in 4:3. The letterbox picture is full screen horizontally and surrounded by total darkness above and below. Sort of like those pictures of Earth taken from space.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
cougar75:

What you're describing is perfectly normal for a 2.35:1 DVD. If you watch a 1.85:1 DVD, you should see tiny black bars both top and bottom. I've had a 503CMX for a few months and watch a lot of 2.35 DVD's. Haven't had a problem at all. I do watch other 4:3 material zoomed to fit the screen, though. This gives the plasma some variety.

To avoid burn in, go into Integrator Mode. With the unit powered off, push menu followed quickly by power on to get to Integrator Mode. One of the menus lets you set Orbitor, which should be set to ON (I forget which one but it’s easy to find). This will reposition the picture every 8 minutes or so by a few pixels. As I understand it, burn in actually occurs along the rows of pixels where the black bars meet the picture and Orbitor solves the problem. To get out of Integrator Mode, press Menu.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

Thanks. I do have three other questions if you could respond briefly.

1. My Sony ES 7000 DVD player is non-progressive but does have component output. Would I see significant difference by getting a new progressive unit?

2. I am waiting for the fall HDTV STB's to come out. What should I look for concerning the 503CMX as far as DSS and OTA?

3. What are the advantages of using an external scaler with the 503CMX. I only watch DSS and DVD's. My local channels are on DSS.

:)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Cougar75:

Quote:
1. My Sony ES 7000 DVD player is non-progressive but does have component output. Would I see significant difference by getting a new progressive unit?
I have an interlaced player myself, so don’t have experience with progressive. The 503 will accept either 480i or 480p through input 2, as long as you have the PDA-5002 video card. There are varying opinions about progressive versus interlaced players in the DVD and LD Hardware forum. Most seem to think progressive is better.

Quote:
2. I am waiting for the fall HDTV STB's to come out. What should I look for concerning the 503CMX as far as DSS and OTA?
I have a Sony SAT HD-100 high definition satellite receiver connected to input 2 for both 480i and 1080i and it works great. The 503 looks very good on HD, especially on HD-Net, and reasonably good on SD satellite. There is no OTA where I live, so can’t comment, but most, if not all, satellite receivers handle OTA as far as I know. If you can find one, an STB with variable out (480i and 1080i) works well with the 503. My Sony has this feature. It automatically switches between 480i and 1080i, depending on the broadcast material. This means you don’t have to do any switching of inputs or use the remote. The HDTV Hardware forum has lots of info on satellite receivers, both current and upcoming.

Quote:
3. What are the advantages of using an external scaler with the 503CMX. I only watch DSS and DVD's. My local channels are on DSS.
The 503 is pretty good without a scaler, but I do have a Faroudja NRS. For a discussion on my experiences with it, look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=136516. IMO, the NRS is a must to avoid until Faroudja/Pioneer come up with a solution. Setting aside that specific problem, the NRS definitely makes a positive difference. It provides more detail, depth-of-field, and colour saturation than the 503 does natively. DVD’s on it are very close to high definition quality but I also found that it was true without the NRS. I have a very high-end McIntosh DVD player, so that may be the main reason.

There are other scalers, such as the Key Digital Leeza, which has a DVI output. Take a look around the Video Processor forum for more information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.