AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went back and level tested my 7.1 setup with my Halo C2's test tones. Then I put in AVIA to fine tune and all was set, but for sh*ts and giggles I turned on the DD EX during my surround testing. I was expecting the same levels or possibly a bit higher, but I got a decrease in the level.

Is this normal? Am I actually getting less surround by turning on the EX processing during regular 5.1 or even EX movies? Or is this just because there is not a specifically encoded EX signal with the AVIA? I was expecting that the pair of surround speakers (side/rear) would work together and produce a sound equal to the level of the side surround alone.

I plan to go back and try this again with THX EX, THX Ultra2movie, and THX Ultra2music. The last two are specifically for 5.1 formats, so they should have the same levels when comparing them to the side surround alone right? :confused: I always hear of reviewers saying that although a given movie is in 5.1, that turning on the EX helped to strengthen the surround field and gave a more enveloping experience....not if the overall sound is lowered by this processing!?!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Max

There are a few setup disc with dd-ex and dts-es setup test tones on them sound&vision setup and the new DVE, and yes your C2 should give you the same levels in 5.1 or 5.1-ex. The reason I think you should try a dvd to check your levels is that maybe your C2 internal test tones are off a little I know my AVPII was off in level using two back speakers, and both of these disc confirmed this for me I hope this helps.

Brad

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The C2's 7.1 test tones are all level, and the AVIA test tones are level with the C2 for 5.1 (but 10dB louder), but when I switch to EX the combined surround tone is now lower than the single surround tone. This leads me to believe that the C2 rear tones are correct.

The THX setup also allow me to put in my type of speaker and I put in dipoles. My sides are actually adaptive dipoles. I wonder if this may affect the level? Because if it's tone is cut in half so that the rear gets the other half...each driver of the dipole is halved and that could results in a lower than sound than if I had a single driver surround? I'm pulling at straws now.

I would love to have others with a 7.1 setup test the different EX modes with an AVIA disc.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The new Digital Video Essentials test disc has separate sets of audio tests for 6.1 audio formats, as does the more basic S&V Home Theater Setup disc that Ovation Software (makers of Avia) helped to create.

The Avia disc dates back to 1999 before EX and ES were available for home use and the only new product that Ovation has on the horizon is their upcoming Avia Pro. But, that set is a six-disc monster that costs $400 and is obviously more tailored to professional installers. Still, it has over 100 audio tests and 1,000 video tests on it, so if you're obsessive and like to tinker, that disc set might be what you're looking for.

Otherwise, the new Digital Video Essentials disc has a more up-to-date set of tests than the Avia disc, and is well situated between the more basic beginner level S&V disc and the professional level Avia Pro disc. Plus, DVE lists for only $25.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.