AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy tools and equipment for wiring a new HT in my new home under construction. I planned to run lots of Canare V-5CFB wiring in my attic space and terminate at Leviton Qucikport wallplates for component video. In order to connect to the Leviton jacks, I need to buy the Leviton Master Compression Tool ($140). I had planned to use Canare RCAP-C5F connectors for interconnects, but I noticed the seller which I plan to use for the wallplates also sells Leviton's RCA compression connectors: Manufacturer's data .

Does anyone have experience with these fittings, or can anyone look at the specs and see if I would be comprimising to use these instead of the Canare's? If I don't need the Canare fittings, that will save me about $200 in tools - which I could use to buy cable, my projector, ...you get the point.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I've read when running lengths of coax cable through walls, etc and terminating at a wall plate jack, it is best to use F connectors or BNC.

I do not have experience with Leviton's compression connectors, but I have used others for F connectors. I can say the process is much quicker and easier with compression. (for me).

From the specs, the Levitons seem to be fine for the RCA connection (HDTV, etc).

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess I did not make it clear. I intend to use these RCA's only for interconnects. I will strip the wire bare and use the Leviton compression tool to connect the Canare cable to the backside of the Quickport connections in the wallplates.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Canare connectors are true 75 ohm rated for video. I would be suspect of the Leviton connectors since they are used for both audio and video. If they are not 75 ohm you will get ringing in your image. Check to make sure they are 75 ohm.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Actually, Canare RCA's are not 75 ohms, though they are about as close as you can come with RCA's. Also, ringing should not be a problem if it is just the connector that does not have a 75 ohm impedance, the length of impedance mismatch must be a certain percentage of the signal's wave length for it to be a problem (tvtech may be able to chime in with the specifics). That said, I use all Canare connectors on my cabling.

Wally- if you do decide to go with Canare ends, let me know. I have an extra TCD-100E stripper that I would sell to you for a good price and I also have a Canare crimper and die set that I could probably lend you. I also have a Thomas & Betts compression tool that should work fine with your compression connectors.

CJ

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wally, I use the Leviton compression ends almost daily. I have yet to have a problem. I like them enough that I cut off the RG6 crimp on RCA ends from parts express in my personal system, and switched them over to leviton. I also made all new rca for my componants with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.