Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, First post here so bare with me...

I just purchased a Leviton 48211-WVK Chopin Digital Volume Control Kit . It comes with 2 in-wall volume controls, and a volume control HUB.

The way I understand it to work is as follows.

Speaker wire from back of Reciever into the Leviton HUB,. The HUB has one set of speaker outs which I understand can support up to three sets of speakers if hooked up properly. The HUB also has a single CAT5E output which is meant to run to the volume control in the wall.

Simple enough, but what I want to do is have 2 sets of speakers running from the single HUB. Leviton Instruction manaul says this can be done, and it also says up to 3 volume controls can be hooked to the single Leviton HUB.

What I want to know is how to hook up 2 sets of speakers in different rooms with corresponding volume controls in each room all back to the same HUB.

On the back of the volume controls for the wall are two CAT5 inputs, or 1 input 1 out put. Not to sure. DO I hook the volume controls together from one to the other with a CAT5e (so out from the hub into the first CAT5 volume control, then out from that volume control into the other volume control, or do I need some other hardware...??

DOES anyone at this forum know how to work with this product. LEVITON VOLUME CONTROL UNIT.

ANy help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Assuming the volume control is just that, and does not contain an amplifier, the instructions have no business telling you how many speakers you can hook up to it. While the Leviton may support X number of physical connections, it's your amp that will determine how many speakers you can drive and how they need to be connected based on their impedance.

Since it appears you've determined that your amp (receiver) can support driving the two sets of speakers, I think you can do what you want, so long as you're not hoping to drive the two sets of speakers at different volumes (please note, however, that I know nothing about the Leviton except what you've written). It seems to me what you have is one attenuator (the hub), and multiple controls for the attenuator. If this is correct, you have no choice but to hook all your speakers up to the one available set of speakers outs, and then connect all the control devices to the attenuator via the CAT5 cables (which support bi-directional communication, so there really should be no in or out).

So, unless the hub has two separate sets of speaker outs, all the speakers you connect to it will be set at the same volume (assuming they all have the same efficiency - if they don't then their volume will be fixed relative to one another), although you'll be able to change that volume from multiple locations.

-Tweak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.