AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a friend with a new system and am trying to figure out a couple of things I have not done before.

We have an MC12 but have not used the zone 2 before.

He'd like to have a small LCD TV and two speakers in a music type room for zone 2. I am assuming that if the gear (sources, MC12 amps etc) is in another room that we can switch s-video from DSS, CD (on screen from a Pioneer Elite DVF07) and DVD into zone 2?

Is this right?

Zone 2 could watch TV from DSS at the same time as zone 1 (provided that you have two DSS receivers) ?

I know zone 2 only has two speakers, so would you still get sound if you played a movie or a DD music dvd in zone 2? Would it sound half way decent if you played a music DVD into zone 2 with two speakers?

The 2 channel music I know will sound good, just trying to figure out the rest of it.

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Zone 2 doesn't have any video outputs. You could use the record zone as you suggest tho....

However, caution should be used when running S-Video over any significant distance. Make sure to use the same cables for both Y & C signals and keep them the same length. Low loss (low capacitance) cables are probably a good idea as well because any loss of signal level will darken the picture...

·
Registered
313 Posts
On a similar note does anyone know if the OSD can be displayed on the Record zone (since zone 2 cannot do video also). On my MC-1 it does not and that kinda pisses me off since I don't use it for recording but for a separate TV like Chuck's friend does.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erikk
On a similar note does anyone know if the OSD can be displayed on the Record zone ................
I don't believe so.

·
Registered
313 Posts
D#$N!! Why on earth didn't they make this an option? I know that the MC-12 isn't trying to be a media control center or whatever they call them now, but I mean wouldn't this seem to be a very common thing people want and easily added?

·
Registered
30,148 Posts
Erik,

I agree; I don't know what they were smoking when they decided not to have video outs for Zone 2. Talk about a dumb decision.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani
Erik,

I agree; I don't know what they were smoking when they decided not to have video outs for Zone 2. Talk about a dumb decision.
I think that only including video outs for the RECORD zone and not the other Zone was a bone-headed as well (though at least there are two s-video and two composite REC outs). However, I think Erik's complaint is about the lack of OSD info on those REC zone video outs. Although I understand his wish, I also understand them wanting to avoid users ending up with OSD commands overprinted on their recorded programs...

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ALL

I spoke with Lexicon yesterday and they said the RECORD out would work. We can use it to send both audio and video out to the remote room.

I also wondered what it would sound like if you had say a DVD muic played in DD 5.1 and it only sends out 2 channel. They said it sounded good to them.

So this does look do'able.

I think the Sv-Video cable run looks to be problematic in that the cable run will probably be 75 feet. I guess we could get a small signal amplifier if need be?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckTraywick
I also wondered what it would sound like if you had say a DVD muic played in DD 5.1 and it only sends out 2 channel. They said it sounded good to them.
Specifically, it downmixes all channels into two, so no information is lost. Note that these channels will contain all bass, including LFE...so be careful what kind of speakers you're using in the other room.

Also, be sure and use the VARIABLE audio outs for the RECORD Zone for the other room, so you can control the volume level there. The volume from the FIXED audio outs is--well, fixed, making it better for sending to a recording device.

Quote:
So this does look do'able.
Since the RECORD Zone has two sets of audio and video outs, it was always possible to route a second source to both a recording component and to another room. The only limitation was that only a third audio (not video) source can be fed using the ZONE 2 output. Therefore, the three-zone independence only applies to audio, not video.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I agree with the comments that Lexicon shoulda provided video signals for Zone2. The Record Zone is an alternative and it does have 2 S-Video outputs so one output could be used for a remote zone and another to feed a VCR (a somewhat clumsy approach since both outputs would be connected to the same source). I think Philip is right about why the record zone has no OSD capability but then again it would have been nice if they provided an option to turn the OSD on or off on one of the record zone video outputs. However, I could see where this too would be clumsy unless they implemented 2 independent OSD generators (one for the main zone and one for the remote zone - the record zone OSD info would need to show record zone info since it may be connected to different source and have different volume level than the main zone).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Geof: thats a good point, I never thought of the fact that you would need two OSD generators if you had one on record, because you might want to make changes in the menu while recording something; the only possible scenario where having one for both either on or off wouldn't work. I suppose that you couldn't have a single one that could be turned on or off on the individual outputs?

On saying that, I realized that since the zones are independent and assuming that a single OSD generator signal cannot be split and overlaid onto two different signals, you would definitely need two of them for the record zone to have one.

Having realized that, are OSD generators THAT expensive that they couldn't include another one? I think that not including video for zone 2 was a termendous mistake. On top of that, not including the possibility of OSD on either zone 2 or record was just plain bad engineering.

Oh well at least now we something to complain about, :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phillip:

Thanks for the info.

My friend has listened to some DIVA's, two systems with entry level B&W 's and Aerials at our place. So he is beginning to get some idea of what kind of speakers he likes.

Going to try to get him to listen to some upper end B&W's for music and compare that to the Aerials so he will have a frame of reference.

Don't know what my friend will end up doing, but he is getting interested in the MC12.

Going to set up some dealer demo's in the next week or two and I think that will really help him narrow the field.

Thanks again.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I think one OSD chip could be split and used in the two zones but for this to work the OSD display would have to contain information that is pertinent to both zones. For example, it would have to show the main zone volume and the remote zone volume along with all of the other info for both zones. This would probably be a bit confusing (who cares what the remote zone volume is if you're sitting in the main zone - and vice-versa). Another drawback would be that if one user makes a change it would show on the other zone as well (for example, you'd be watching a movie and someone from the other zone makes a change so the OSD flashes up on your screen). Now I suppose they might have been able to write the software to get around some of the issues but I'm not familiar enough with the unit to know for sure.

Implementing an OSD is more complicated than just adding a character generator to the box. As with most things, simpler is better and implementing low noise high quality video switching is further complicated when summing in a character generator. To do this in a pristine manner probably also requires a video fader-like circuit that effectively removes (at least greatly reduces) the OSD signal. In that fashion any noise created by the OSD character generator wouldn't be coupled thru to the video signal unless the OSD were being used...

Nonetheless they could have elected to do more in this are but chose not to. I sort of understand this because if one truly wants two setups there are other limiting factors (like only being able to decode one DD bitstream at a time). The MC-12 is still one helluva a processor though....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Like I said, at least now we something to complain about. Because before this I had not one complaint. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.