AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 872 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted this on www.Highdefdigest.com .

General concensus is it's a re-badged Oppo with a $3500.00 price tag.


Anyone have any more info?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,424 Posts
Maybe they will tweak the audio side, still can't see it being worth $3k more though.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,370 Posts
Just because it has similar specs, don't think it is a rebadged Oppo. Most manufacturers get their parts from the same companies. Don't think Oppo makes their own boards, chasis, etc. Lexicon has done their own R&D and I'm sure this will be one heck of a product for their market. It's already less expensive than both the Denon and new Marantz and probably 1,500 more than Parasound's potential entry.


S~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac /forum/post/16897856


Just because it has similar specs, don't think it is a rebadged Oppo. Most manufacturers get their parts from the same companies. Don't think Oppo makes their own boards, chasis, etc. Lexicon has done their own R&D and I'm sure this will be one heck of a product for their market. It's already less expensive than both the Denon and new Marantz and probably 1,500 more than Parasound's potential entry.


S~

Probably not a direct rebadge...but similar. They might try to pull a Cary.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16890239


It happens in the industry a lot. Rebadges with small improvements (or in some cases, downgrades). We'll see once someone is able to pull off the cover. I think being lower than the Denon and Marantz is a given...another pair that share the wealth of design layouts. yeah yeah, they do their "own" research...yeah, with the same base parts to start with. One just puts on a better PS and "heatsink" casing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks /forum/post/16898059


Probably not a direct rebadge...but similar. They might try to pull a Cary.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16890239


It happens in the industry a lot. Rebadges with small improvements (or in some cases, downgrades). We'll see once someone is able to pull off the cover. I think being lower than the Denon and Marantz is a given...another pair that share the wealth of design layouts. yeah yeah, they do their "own" research...yeah, with the same base parts to start with. One just puts on a better PS and "heatsink" casing.

My BIL's Integra looks very similar to my 2 bedroom Sylvania BRPs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,102 Posts
Glad to see the high end is getting back into the game. They've been sorely missed.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,370 Posts
Yeap, Paul said @ CEDIA UK that Parasound will have a player by the end of the year.


S~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 /forum/post/16904555


It looks like the same player and I wonder if lexicon changes anything....

The players are identical on the rear panel, and a similar layout on the front panel, so there's little to dispute that it's not a rebadged Oppo. I would hope for a 600% cost difference there would be more than just a few internal mods! We already concede that a BluRay player is a BluRay player, with little difference between them in terms of BD playback, so obviously they will concentrate on the audio side, and probably more so on the analog outputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/16907186


The players are identical on the rear panel, and a similar layout on the front panel, so there's little to dispute that it's not a rebadged Oppo. I would hope for a 600% cost difference there would be more than just a few internal mods! We already concede that a BluRay player is a BluRay player, with little difference between them in terms of BD playback, so obviously they will concentrate on the audio side, and probably more so on the analog outputs.

Let's not forget that wheter there are significant differences in features or even some performance increases, Lexicon has a demographic of folks who could care less about researching a cheaper player that will accomplish the same goals. Some simply like Lexicon's reputation for excellence or simply that they represent one of the 'best'. There will be buyers nad likely they'll be happy.


Places like AVS, where we dissect the nuance, are places the general public is either not aware of or could care less about. So, Lexicon benefits by filling folks's needs. You don't have to research the best for the buck or research OEMs, just buy Lexicon and you are guaranteed a certain level of sophistication and performance.


I've leased a 911 back in '99 and kept it for 4 years. Loved it. Would a souped up Mustang, Corvette, etc get me to 60 MPH as fast or faster or give me most of what a Porsche does for a lot less?? Sure. But I wanted a Porsche and was very happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,430 Posts
I would imagine a lot of Lexicon gear gets sold through HT designer/installer shops where the customers are paying for a lot of custom installation and service. I expect that is a factor in this unit's pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/16907327


...I've leased a 911 back in '99....

So, you're the one that made your home town falter!!!
I didn't post that the Lexicon wouldn't surpass the performance of the Oppo...I would hope that it would for the price difference. We'll see after some specs are published. And yes, people buying Lexicon are likely to continue, even if it were identical to the Oppo, perhaps to allow all their equipment to have matching faceplates!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/16907327


Let's not forget that wheter there are significant differences in features or even some performance increases, Lexicon has a demographic of folks who could care less about researching a cheaper player that will accomplish the same goals. Some simply like Lexicon's reputation for excellence or simply that they represent one of the 'best'. There will be buyers nad likely they'll be happy.


Places like AVS, where we dissect the nuance, are places the general public is either not aware of or could care less about. So, Lexicon benefits by filling folks's needs. You don't have to research the best for the buck or research OEMs, just buy Lexicon and you are guaranteed a certain level of sophistication and performance.


I've leased a 911 back in '99 and kept it for 4 years. Loved it. Would a souped up Mustang, Corvette, etc get me to 60 MPH as fast or faster or give me most of what a Porsche does for a lot less?? Sure. But I wanted a Porsche and was very happy.

What if anything do you think Lexicon could possibly bring to the table that would make it better than the Denon A1, Pioneer 09 or Marantz 9004? I totally get and understand that certain people will buy it because it's a Lexicon. I'm a huge Lexicon fan, I have had the MC-12B since January 2004 but never have their DVD players interested me. I think it's wonderful if the price holds true that it comes in less than the Denon and Marantz which would make it a candidate for more people perhaps. The biggest thing I'm curious of with this piece is it's SACD capabilities. Does it follow Oppo and give full spec DSD via HDMI or cripple SACD via HDMI like Denon did. Actually I would love to know what the Marantz is doing with SACD for that matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
I just found the answer to my Marantz question. This should come as no surprise to anyone but the UD9004 manual is now on-line on the Marantz site and it is practically identical to the Denon manual
SACD is handled identically to the Denon A1, via HDMI it is down rezed to 44.1/16.


So $1500 buys you copper construction, Marantz HDAM-SA2&HDAM, BD-Live out of the box, an aluminum top for your remote and a different enclosure.


The only thing it doesn't have that the A1 has as far as I can tell is the obvious Denon link.


If the Lex can indeed stream native DSD via HDMI then Denon and Marantz best put in place a strategy to compete as there would be 2 cheaper players on the market offering a feature neither of the 2 most expensive players on the market can do. Maybe there is a more expensive player, didn't Goldmund put out a player for like $17,000?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0


Let's not forget that wheter there are significant differences in features or even some performance increases, Lexicon has a demographic of folks who could care less about researching a cheaper player that will accomplish the same goals. Some simply like Lexicon's reputation for excellence or simply that they represent one of the 'best'. There will be buyers nad likely they'll be happy.

I agree that a lot of people assume based on name and at the same time as these players look identical these owners would not be caught dead with a oppo BD player in their racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S /forum/post/0


didn't Goldmund put out a player for like $17,000?

I know goldmund takes $150 CD players and changes the chassis then charges $6000.
 
1 - 20 of 872 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top