Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an opportunity to purchase a DC-1 for $600 that is the DD THX version and am demo'ing now. The current owner told me that he had a couple of occurences that involved the right side output emitting a blast of noise for no apparent reason. I thought nothing of it and after I had it hooked up, not even 5 minutes after powering everything up, I got that noise. It is like a Pink noise that plays at full gain and nothing more than powering the unit down will cause it to stop. I am curious to see if anyone has had any similar problems. Also, I wanted to get the opniion of the group as to the $600 price for the unit and the cost of upgrading to the V4.0 DTS version. Is this a good deal, or should I be wary?

Thanks all!

Luis

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Luis,

" Also, I wanted to get the opniion of the group as to the $600 price for the unit and the cost of upgrading to the V4.0 DTS version."

V4 alone costs $300. Or you could upgrade it to DTS which will automatically include v4 for $500.

Seeing that the unit may have a problem I'd be a little wary of it. I believe Lexicon charges a flat rate to fix non-warranty units and it is around $350 if I recall it correctly.

If you add that into the price of the DTS upgrade you are nearly the price I've seen DC-2s go for and you may be able to find one of them with a little warranty remaining.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Does anyone know the cost to upgrade a base DC-1(v1.02) to THX?(I dont need dd/dts on this one)

Is this just an eprom swap in?

TV

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TV
Does anyone know the cost to upgrade a base DC-1(v1.02) to THX?(I dont need dd/dts on this one)

Is this just an eprom swap in?

TV
No, it's more involved than jsut the EEPROM--another chip on the motherboard also needs to be replaced. Also, the last Lexicon price list I saw did not have a base-to-THX upgrade option--you'd have to go to at least AC-3 level ($1000) or DTS ($1500). Either would include the latest V4 software and new remote, but they aren't really cost-effective options, IMO.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there,

Does anyone have here have any idea where I can get this upgrade at a discount ?

Thanks,

Luis

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've been very lucky by me in New Jersey with woodbridgestereo on the page go to the loft for some good deals on demo equipment and customer trade-in. www.woodbridgestereo.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.