AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody get the ideas? How Lexicon will support TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding? Firmware upgrading for MC-12 HD or release one new model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myidea /forum/post/14279545


How Lexicon will support TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding? Firmware upgrading for MC-12 HD or release one new model?

Can't be done with a firmware upgrade, since it would require newer DSP chips (with the advanced audio codecs) and newer HDMI connectivity (to accept undecoded bitstreams), so it will likely be a new model.


Their current flagship is based on a platform that's over 7 years old, so it's high time for a replacement. Until then, if you're using a player that can decode the new codecs, they can be transmitted to the MC-12HD as PCM.


Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor /forum/post/14279868


The MC-12 does support lossless audio with the new firmware but you have to send it as PCM not bitstream.

Thanks. Very detial information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/14280933


Can't be done with a firmware upgrade, since it would require newer DSP chips (with the advanced audio codecs) and newer HDMI connectivity (to accept undecoded bitstreams), so it will likely be a new model.


Their current flagship is based on a platform that's over 7 years old, so it's high time for a replacement. Until then, if you're using a player that can decode the new codecs, they can be transmitted to the MC-12HD as PCM.


Sanjay

I don't know how Lexicon processor works. I think the audio codecs is some kinds of embedded software that built in the chips. Maybe we can upgrade the codecs by refreshing the software.


Did you hear something ahout the Lexicon new product?


Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myidea /forum/post/14282292


I think the audio codecs is some kinds of embedded software that built in the chips. Maybe we can upgrade the codecs by refreshing the software.

Those kind of upgrades can only be done for processing that is proprietary to Lexicon (e.g., LOGIC7). Upgrading any decoding or processing that has been licensed from Dolby or DTS requires software from the chipmaker.


However, in this particular case, I doubt that Cirrus Logic has software that can upgrade one of their 6-year-old decoder chips to carry the new advanced audio codecs (the older chip probably doesn't even have the processing horsepower required).


And even if that could be done, how would you get the undecoded bitstreams into the MC-12HD? Bitstreaming requires HDMI 1.3, the MC-12HD came out in 2006 and has HDMI 1.1.
Quote:
Did you hear something ahout the Lexicon new product?

Unfortunately, Lexicon doesn't announce anything until it's ready to ship. I haven't heard any rumors either.


Sanjay
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor /forum/post/14279868


The MC-12 does support lossless audio with the new firmware but you have to send it as PCM not bitstream.

In other words it does not decode any new codec.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top