AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to acquire a Lexicon MC-1 at a very very reasonable price to replace my stand-in pre/pro, aka Onkyo 898.

For those of you with experience or an opinion one way or the other on the MC-1's Logic7 processing as opposed to hard coded formats like DTS ES or DD EX, please let me know.

·
Registered
782 Posts
JawJa,

For what it's worth, I use my Lexicon DC2 in L7 mode always over DDEX and DTSES. I've tried DDEX and DTSES on numerous ocassions and always felt that the sound field flattened out/was less airy (collapsed) when compared to L7.

I gave up on DDEX/DTSDES shortly after I paid for the Lexicon EX/ES upgrade.

Was the money spent on the upgrade wasted, IMO no, at least now I have a basis for comparison.

John

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
JawjaBill,

The value of L7 is in turning 2-channel material into 5- or 7-channel material, and for that purpose, it is essentially unmatched. DPLII is a contender, but will work only for 5 channels. Meridian's proprietary algorithms are also pretty good, but you only get those on a Meridian. So comparing it to discrete formats such as DTS or DD is difficult, because they do different things.

Compared to what EX and ES do, it's more of a toss up. When L7 is applied to a 5.1 signal, it will only work on the two surround channels and leave the front array alone. It matrixes the two surround channels into 4 channels. If you're decoding an EX or ES soundtrack, a DD EX or DTS ES mode will always get it right, and L7 may some times mess up, and may some times make it sound better than what the EX and ES decoders extract. How can it be better? The ES and EX extraction algorithms are basically matrix decoders (with DD EX using essentially DPLII, and THX EX using DPL I, and DTS using some proprietary thing of their own, which I wouldn't trust based on the horrible results they get with dts Neo) that extract a mono signal placed into two speakers. L7 will extract a stereo signal placed into two speakers. Many people have found that they prefer L7 decoding of EX/ES soundtracks over the default mode.

Besides that, the MC-1 will be superior prepro in basically almost any other way than the Onkyo, so you'll get other sorts of improvements besides L7. If your MC-1 has never been traded in, it will be eligible for a trade-in for the upcoming baby MC-12 that will be released some time next year.

--Andre

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
For those of you with experience or an opinion one way or the other on the MC-1's Logic7 processing as opposed to hard coded formats like DTS ES or DD EX, please let me know.
As a Lexicon owner with a 7.1 speaker setup, I have played around a fair bit with Logic 7 ("L7") versus EX. In order to find out exactly what L7 does as opposed to EX, I have turned off the L/C/R/sub speakers in my 8-speaker system, and then played certain scenes from EX-encoded discs with just the rear surround speakers and the rear center speakers. I would play the same scene with EX processing, then with L7 processing. The results were interesting.

A good example of EX encoding is the opening sequence of the Star Wars Episode II disc. With EX, the silver "B-2 bomber lookalike" spaceship flys past you from behind towards planet Coruscant, and the sound starts from the center rear speakers and moves forward. However, the sound skips the rear surround speakers, going from the rear center to the front.

However, using L7 processing instead of EX processing, the sound of the silver spaceship goes from all four rear speakers to the front.

From these tests, it's apparent that using L7 on EX-encoded discs doesn't always portray the sound from the disc as intended by the film's sound editor. However, L7 on EX still sounds very good, just not exactly correct.

Where L7 shines is in brining extra ambience to "vanilla" 5.1 soundtracks. The extra speakers and extra processing of L7 does a great job of enveloping you in the soundfield.

To sum up, I'd say that it's great having both L7 and EX. I generally use L7 for "vanilla" 5.1 DVDs, and use EX for EX-encoded DVDs. Since most films these days are "vanilla" 5.1, I find that I use L7 almost all the time! Am I satisfied with Lexicon's L7 mode? Yes, it's great!

That said, I really wish I had access to DTS 6.1 Discrete and some of the other newly-emerging sound formats. Since Lexicon is no longer producing upgrades to the MC1/DC2 pre/pros, I may take advantage of Lexicon's famous trade-up program when the new "DC2 successor" Lexicon pre/pro ships (rumored to be announced shortly, at CES).

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.