AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how if the new multi channel formats can hook up to the MC-1? (or any older processor for that matter) I was talking with my dealer and he can get me a pretty good deal on an MC-1. But I'm not sure how a DVD-A or SACD player would be able to interface with the Lex.

I wasn't sure how to search this topic so if it's already been discussed please share the thread with me

Also when (not if) these formats become available on a digital out put would the MC-1 be capable of handling it?

Thanks for the Help

Jake

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Jake,

" But I'm not sure how a DVD-A or SACD player would be able to interface with the Lex. "

They can't. The MC-1 doesn't have a 5.1 analog pass-thru. You would need something like the Sony 6 channel pre-amp to use with the MC-1.

"Also when (not if) these formats become available on a digital out put would the MC-1 be capable of handling it? "

Nope.

Shawn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So not only does this format need a new player but a new processor/receiver as well. :(

Is there anything available that would allow me to use the MC-1 with these new formats? It can even be expensive since I wouldn't really need it right away.

I guess I should feel good since I'm finally starting my system that I can try to be as current as possible.

Thanks

Jake

·
Registered
448 Posts
The MC-12 will support all of these formats. I recently traded up to it, solve my problem. Definitely puts a dent in the Credit card. Around $6500 for Demo or slightly used models.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I well aware of the MC-12:), But I'm afraid that it is still well outside of my price range. Since I'm in the very beginning of my system I'm just trying to get it up and running. I have Studio 100's and a Sherbourn 5/1500 coming.

After I figure out a processor I will get the Center and surrounds.

Then I will sit down and enjoy one movie and decide that it could sound better if I spend just a little more money, and then I can truly enjoy this hobby:)

I was looking at the Outlaw 950 and probably still am, but I had to check to see if there we any solutions out there that would allow me to get an older product and still enjoy the new formats.

jake

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Is there anything available that would allow me to use the MC-1 with these new formats? It can even be expensive since I wouldn't really need it right away.
Well, for SACD and/or DVD-A, the Sony TA-P9000ES that Shawn alluded to is not only a great solution, but will give you many more options w/ your Lexi MC-1. And it can be had for $475 delivered from Oade Bros, IIRC.

It's a multichannel switchable preamp that some MC-1 owners use to add multichannel analog bypass to the MC-1. Do a search for "TA-P9000ES OR TAP9000ES OR P9000ES" here or on the Lexicon forum (w/ Lexicon reps participating) at smr-forums.com.

The short of it is: you can put the Sony in between your Lexi and your amp, using the 5.1 bypass inputs on the Sony. You can then connect 2 more multichannel sources -- that means BOTH an SACD and a DVD-A player -- as well as a 2-channel source. In other words, the Sony sports three (1 bypassed) 5.1 inputs and one 2-channel input.

I plan on getting one in the near future for my MC-1 :) Pick up the Lexi if you can get a great deal on it. You won't regret it. :D :D

Todd

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Jake,

"Is there anything available that would allow me to use the MC-1 with these new formats? It can even be expensive since I wouldn't really need it right away. "

Well to get started in DVD-A you can always just listen to the DD/DTS tracks. This will let you build a collection of music before investing in the rest of the hardware needed for playback of the DVD-A tracks.

Shawn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RuffRyder-

Thank you it sounds like the Sony is the answer for me, because I really want the MC-1.

I don't plan on getting right in to the multi channel formats right away but I want to have the option. This project has been a long time in the making but it's finally starting to come together.:D

thanks for the help,

Jake

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congrats on your impending purchase! I was faced w/the *exact* same situation you are in now. A dealer-friend of mine made me "an offer I couldn't refuse" on a traded-in MC-1. I, too, wondered about SACD/DVD-A capability and also the ability to bypass the MC-1 DACs if I wanted to get a solid Redbook CD rig. In the end, the Sony seemed like such a perfect partner and I'm glad I have these options with it.

Anyway, glad to help. Let us know what you think of L7 in both movie and music mode. :D

RR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.