Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

This is my first post and its' a hummer. I'm going to plague this forum with yet another 'help me choose' question. I need a new processor and request your guidance on narrowing the field. I apologize if this seems like 'been here a 1000 times', but I couldn't find head-to-head comparisions with the 'search' engine.

My system isn't much, especially in today's technology, but it includes:

Sumo Opus 3s (center)

B&W Nautilus 805's (fronts)

M&K Satellite 1B's (sides)

M&K Satellite 1B's (rear)

M&K Volkswoofer 1B's (2)

McIntosh MC7270 amp to front channels

McIntosh MC2105 amp to center channel

Fosgate Audionics FAA 1000.5 amp to sides and rears

I've narrowed the field to 3 (maybe 4) processors:

Lexicon MC-1 $1400-1700 (used) or $2500 (demo, full warranty)

Classe SSP-60 ~$2800 (used)

Krell Showcase $2500 used or $3200 (demo, full warranty)

Fosgate Audionics FAP T-1 $1500 (demo, full warranty)

I added the Fosgate out of sheer 'brand-loyalty'; their equipment has been bulletproof and the sound reproduction "adequate" for my listening skills (and tastes); I'm finally abandoning a Fosgate 3A.

I'm drifting away from a complete devotion to large screen movie projection (mostly DVD), to maybe a 30/70 proportional use of audio (CD's only) and video requirements.

Obviously, I'd much prefer to spend less, but am not unreceptive to spending for warranty service (do you think that necessary?). Please submit your thoughts/suggestions; thank you for your patience in reading this long post.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Either the Krell Showcase or the Classe SSP-60 will do it.

I own the Krell Showcase and love it. I have demoed the Classe SSP-60 with movie only and it was amazingly good too. I notice the sound of the Classe SSP-60 is on the warm side, which is not as natural as the Krell.

You can't go wrong with either one. I would not get the MC-1 because it is too old plus no balanced outputs. Well, if your amps don't have balanced inputs then it is irrelevant, but for resale value it is a big plus. And you'll never know if you will end up with amps with balanced inputs later.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Either the Krell Showcase or the Classe SSP-60 will do it.
Bingo. Just bought the Showcase and it's great. Have heard Classe at dealer only; it was also dynamite...

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.