AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here compared the Lexicon MC12 vs. Theta CBII (preferably with Extreme DACs) head to head for Home Theater, and then 2-channel Audio (utilizing a transport and the DACS inherent to each unit)?

I have heard that Lexicon beats the Theta hands down with its logic 7 for HT, but still does not equal the Theta for 2-channel.

My usage will be 65% HT, 35% 2-channel.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
943 Posts
Quote:
I have heard that Lexicon beats the Theta hands down with its logic 7 for HT...
Whoa! Hands down? Based on what exactly? The fact that the Theta CB II doesn't have that mode (it doesn't!)? What is your criteria? Is getting a simulated 7.1 channels of audio from 5.1 or 6.1 an important criteria? IOW, are you going to be running at least 8 independant channels in your setup? Do you want to get simulated multi-channels when listening to 2-channel audio?

If budget is a consideration, the CB II with just 8 channels of Xtreme DAC's would easily exceed the cost of the MC-12 Balanced, let alone getting all 12 channels. :(

I'd say with the amount of $$$ you are going to spend to get either of these processors, it would be wise to make a trip to a dealer and listen to both. I think after you do this and decide for yourself, you can't go wrong with either. Otherwise, if you simply based your decision on what will be posted here, about "this is better than that," it's nothing more than a straw poll at best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lexicon - "Logic seven and general HT performance...."

Yup, thats what I heard from a dealer, I am a tad skeptical.

I currently own a CBII (7.4 setup) with one extreme DAC,two supperiors, but will not have my home theater room complete for a couple of months (I plan on conducting a head to head test with these two if I can get a dealer who will take the Lexicon back if I am not impressed.)

Just conducting a little research until I can conduct my own investigation. If the Lex is as good as it is touted, I could conceivably, sell my CBII, purchase a MC12 at a good price, have $$$ leftover for other HT goodies!

Thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
Quote:
Yup, thats what I heard from a dealer, I am a tad skeptical.
As well you should be!

The Law of Diminishing Returns dictates that HT processors at the rarified price range where the MC-12 and the CB II reside will show little differences in sound quality. You're more likely to find a larger qualitative difference in sound between a processor that retailed at $2K and one at $4K, than you are for one that is $8K versus $16K.

Also, the rest of the system has to be up to snuff (so to speak), to reveal such differences. Then there's system synergy (cables, amps, speakers, room size, speaker positioning) to consider, which can often dictate which one will sound better. Just a heads up that if you've built your system around the voicing of the CB II, the MC-12 could be at a disadvantage from the get-go when auditioned in your setup.

The modularity of the CB makes for a wonderfully flexible architecture. I'm not aware of any other processor that offers more bass management options than the CB II either. Also, if you currently have four subs, note that the MC-12 will only directly handle three. The huge advantage that the MC-12 has over most any processor is the ability to control a total of three AV zones! Also, Logic 7 is a pretty effective mode (perhap unsurpassed?) for simulating discrete 7.1 channels. Perhaps the upcoming Mark Levinson No.40 will best them all, albeit at a $30K price point!

You should be able to find a loaner unit from a cooperative Lexicon dealer where you're at. Unfortunately, given the history of Lexicon previous product introductions and the brand's popularity, it may be in short supply for the next few months. :(

P.S. How did you work a 7.4 setup with the CB II config you have? My calculations tell me that with one Xtreme and two Superior DACs, you would have a total of only 10 channels? :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
P.S. How did you work a 7.4 setup with the CB II config you have? My calculations tell me that with one Xtreme and two Superior DACs, you would have a total of only 10 channels?
You are correct, I actually have a 6.4 setup, with the center rear split into 2 speakers for a psuedo 7.4 setup (6.4 discrete). Have not had the opportunity to listen to my extreme DACs yet, can't wait!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.