AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is is possible to upgrade my Lexicon MC12b v1 to the v5? Has anyone had this done?

I've done some reading but feel a little confused as I think I first need to hardware upgrade to v2 and then software upgrade to v5. Is this correct and are there any dealers that anyone knows of that could do this?

Would it be worth it and a major jump in performance?

Cheers

·
Registered
30,851 Posts
You would need hardware + software upgrade to get to v3 before you could do the software-only upgrade to v5. There is also an optional v4 upgrade (room correction), which is not necessary when going from v3 to v5.

I don't think it's worth it for a decade-old platform. Better instead to get something newer, with room correction and HDMI connectivity. In the mean time, it would be worthwhile to do the free v2 upgrade, which made noticable improvements to the surround processing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

I would upgrade but all of the setups I have heard don't really feel like much of an improvement over my Lex, that's why I really wish to keep this processor for some time yet. I've borrowed an Audyssey from a friend and did feel that the room EQ helped out in the presentation of the sound but it wasn't the big improvement that I was expecting.

I'd like to ideally keep the Lex and just upgrade it's hardware and software if possible.

Cheers

·
Registered
30,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispybacon /forum/post/18316868

I'd like to ideally keep the Lex and just upgrade it's hardware and software if possible.

For a little more than the cost of upgrading your MC-12v1, you can probably buy a used MC-12v3 or MC-12v5 from eBay or Audiogon. In the mean time, download the free v2 upgrade from the Lexicon site, and start enjoying better surround processing.

http://www.lexicon.com/products/down...ID=1&FileID=67

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"download the free v2 upgrade from the Lexicon site, and start enjoying better surround processing. "

As well as a much faster operating unit. v1 was slooooowwwww.

Shawn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Shawn & Sanjay I'll get downloading that updated firmware now.

Gents, aside from the EQ facility what other benefits did the upgrade from v2 to v5 bring? Am I right in assuming that I can add an aftermarket EQ solution like an Audyssey which would give me the same additional benefits of a version upgrade?

I have a dedicated treated cinema room where are sound engineer friend has moved things around and treated the room with bass traps and foam in places to get the sound right so I'm wondering if I should now just sell my Lex and buy another or just enjoy what v2 has to offer?

I've emailed Lexicon and they weren't very helpful, they just asked me to contact their parent company in a one lined email. To think that I paid mega money for this a few years and get better customer service from lesser brands is not a good thing. Ah well this is isn't a rant, I just wanna get the best from what I have rather than shell out money on new gear, I think there's a storm heading our way.

Thank you for helping a n00b out.

·
Registered
30,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispybacon /forum/post/18319791

Gents, aside from the EQ facility what other benefits did the upgrade from v2 to v5 bring?

Additional decoding/processing modes from Lexicon, Dolby, DTS and THX. LOGIC7 changed completely in v5, allowing centre and surround content to be extracted from discrete multi-channel sources. So, for example, if you're listening to a quad DVD-A, you can extract centre vocals and steer them to the centre speaker. Or if you're listening to one of those RCA 3-channel SACDs, you can extract surround information and send it to sides and rears. Pro Logic IIx was also added with v5, along with new bass management options, and L.I.V.E. (room simulation used in Lexicon's studio/pro gear).
Quote:
Am I right in assuming that I can add an aftermarket EQ solution like an Audyssey which would give me the same additional benefits of a version upgrade?

Yes, using an outboard EQ from Audyssey or Neptune would work well.
Quote:
I've emailed Lexicon and they weren't very helpful, they just asked me to contact their parent company in a one lined email. To think that I paid mega money for this a few years and get better customer service from lesser brands is not a good thing.

Unfortunately, with the recent Harman re-structuring, Lexicon is a very different company than it was even a few years ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Sanj, I'll enjoy v2 whilst hounding Lexicon for a solution, if I don't have any success I'll sell the Lex and move onto a different brand.

This is such a shame as Meridian are excellent with upgrades and I would have expected the same from Lexicon. I guess having a good upgrade experience varies significantly between high end manufacturers.

Much obliged.

·
Registered
30,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispybacon /forum/post/18324524

This is such a shame as Meridian are excellent with upgrades and I would have expected the same from Lexicon.

In fairness to Lexicon, you're asking them to upgrade a pre-pro that was discontinued 4 years ago (replaced in May of 2006 with the MC-12HD). To their credit, they continued to support it even 3 years after being discontinued (last free software upgrade was March 2009).

As for Meridian, their latest "excellent" upgrade costs as much as two entire MC-12v1 units:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1219748

Cheers,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a fair point but I bought this unit in 2006 along with a load of other AV gear. The dollar equivalent price was appx $14,000

The TV I bought at the time came with a 5 year warranty and cost around 20% of that price. If a mainstream manufacturer can offer a 5 years parts and labour warranty on a cheap TV surely it would be reasonable to expect at least 5 years worth of support on such a high end item. Hell my fridge has a 5 year parts and labour guarantee and that cost hundreds rather than thousands of dollars.

Lexicon should support their products for at least 5 years after they are discontinued, after all they claim to be a high end manufacturer so the customer service should be representative of this.

I guess none of this matters really since the days of over exuberance are well and truly over for most people, and this will most likely hit the likes of Lexicon really hard, I definitely won't be handing out the hankies.

Apologies if this seems like it is aimed at you Sanj, it is not. I'm just a tad pissed of that I'm being ignored by Lexicon after giving them my hard earned cash. Never again will I spend so much money on AV equipment, I have truly learned my lesson.

·
Registered
30,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispybacon /forum/post/18329133

That's a fair point but I bought this unit in 2006 along with a load of other AV gear. The dollar equivalent price was appx $14,000

If that was just for the MC-12v1, then I'm afraid you overpaid (full MSRP was $8,995, and no one I know paid that). By 2006, its replacement was shipping and dealers were unloading MC-12v1 units for about a half to a third of what you paid.
Quote:
If a mainstream manufacturer can offer a 5 years parts and labour warranty on a cheap TV surely it would be reasonable to expect at least 5 years worth of support on such a high end item. Hell my fridge has a 5 year parts and labour guarantee and that cost hundreds rather than thousands of dollars.

That's great for TVs and fridges, but let's compare apples to apples. Which manufacturer offers upgrades for a pre-pro they discontinued 4 years earlier?
Quote:
Apologies if this seems like it is aimed at you Sanj, it is not.

Not taking it personally, so no apologies needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts