AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HARMAN’s Lexicon has introduced its QLI-32 Quantum Logic Immersion cinema processor, designed to deliver up to 32 channels of surround sound in professional cinema applications.

The new QLI-32 interfaces with a theater’s media source and existing cinema processor to provide a multidimensional listening experience with left, center, right, surround, rear and height channels, all via HARMAN’s proprietary Quantum Logic Immersion surround-processing technology. In doing so, the QLI-32 provides theaters with a cost-efficient and easily deployed upgrade path to significantly improved immersive cinematic sound, announced Dan Saenz, business segment manager, installed and cinema sound, HARMAN Professional, at CinemaCon 2015 in Las Vegas.

“Our new QLI-32 offers an effective way for theater owners to upgrade to immersive surround sound with a product that is fully compatible with existing cinema processors and is competitively priced,” noted Saenz. “It can be easily integrated into an existing theater or specified as part of a new installation.”

HARMAN’s new cinema processor employs HARMAN’s exclusive Quantum Logic technology to provide up to 32 channels of immersive surround-sound audio over BLU-link from any mono stereo, 5.1- or 7.1-channel program material. The Lexicon QLI-32 uses exclusive signal processing techniques to actively analyze the acoustical information in the audio mix and recreate a full three-dimensional sonic environment with width, depth and height by identifying and positioning objects in the sound field—all without adding elements to the original mix. Because the QLI-32 works with existing audio systems, installation costs are reduced and any stereo or multi-channel content can be made immersive, said Saenz.

The QLI-32 features an 8-channel analog 25-pin connector, two 8-channel AES RJ-45 inputs, a BLU-link (2 x RJ-45) input and a BLU-link (2 x RJ-45) output. It also provides an Ethernet port and RJ-45 control connections. The QLI-32 provides Auto EQ per SMPTE 202 and offers 1/3-octave graphic EQ for each of its 32 output channels as well as parametric low-frequency EQ. The QLI-32 can be easily configured via its web-based interface and its simple front-panel control layout provides ready indication of operational status. Measuring 1U rack space high, the QLI-32 installs easily into an equipment rack.

Quantum Logic Immersion uses specialized algorithms to extract signal and reverberant streams from the original recording. Individual voices and instruments, as well as reverberant spatial information, are identified and then re-authored into a precise multichannel sound field. QLI combines the individual signal streams using patented filter bank technology and psychoacoustic modeling to create an immersive multichannel listening experience with exceptional clarity, detail and image specificity.

Sounds like it could be a nifty add on to the f-1 class systems.....

Attachments

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Compatible with existing systems
Flexible location for height channels
GPI control
8 channel Analog input (25-Pin Connector)
8 channel AES input (RJ-45 Connector)
BLU link input/output (2 RJ-45 Connectors)
Ethernet control
Create an immersive audio environment mfrom stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 inputs
Output up to 32 discrete channels of audio over BLU link
1/3 octave graphic EQ for each output channel
Parametric EQ on low frequency extension
Web–based interface

Nice add on to any 7.1 processor, this could be the auromatic killler.

CUT SHEET
QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice to see that Quantum Logic is still alive somewhere at Harman :) Can maybe gives hope for a next Lexicon processor...

Any idea about MSRP of this piece ? Would be indeed a nice combination with existing 7.1 processor and combined with some BSS BLU-BOB2 break-out boxes (to convert BLU-link back to analogue) and/or directly with amps equipped with BLU-link like the recently announced new Synthesis ones (based on Crown DriveCore Install series)... Guess we will soon see a Synthesis version of that Lexicon QLI box ;-)

But as usual, how would volume control be done ?

If analogue input is used then I guess all processed 32 channels will just follow based on input signal and therefore based on volume control of the processor. But this limit to 8 input channels... If this piece need to be combined with an Atmos (or DTS-X) ready processor, then digital input have to used (the BLU-link input or the AES one... by the way, not so common to see multi-channel AES input on RJ45 connector... how does that work ?) but then how to adjust general volume ?

Anyway looks like a cool product to play with :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
AES one... by the way, not so common to see multi-channel AES input on RJ45 connector... how does that work ?)
My guess, balanced AES needs a twisted pair per channel pair. An RJ45 is a 100ohm 4 pair interface. Close enough to the 110ohm AES spec. No ground but then you really don't need a ground in a balanced circuit. So an RJ45 will yield 4 AES pairs which equates to 8 physical channels.

Now what I don't like is the lack of AES output. You would have to buy a BLU to AES converter which are available.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i will guess 4 for now

inqury made

aes is as glimmie suggests.same format as the outputs from any imb/s

cinemacon is one day too short for people redeying from east coast,
by the time i recalled what QL was> too late for demo, also missed auromax, dtsx demos,,,

dolby bought sls labs audio ribbon co, missed that demo with atmos,

this box adds new life to datasat ap-20 too,

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Interesting.

If previous reports of QL excellence still hold, this would make a nice legacy material upmixer for those with Atmos/DTS-X systems.

Also curious as to the price.
It must hold considerable advantage for Harman to take on AUROMATIC upmixing. Trusting my acoustic memory (which has not failed much) Quantum Logic may be better than auromatic, if it has the widths capability.... BINGO. DTS you seem to be in no rush to get to the table, Caveat DTS: I suffer from mild ADD, I'm letting you know in no uncertain terms that you are about to drop off from my RADAR and any future endorsement that may entail [WHICH IS PROBABLY A GOOD THING :D] but coming out of cinemacon you appear very weak. B-12 is your friend DTS. Either poop or get off the pot.;)

My problem is (and now that it makes perfect sense to Dolby that the width channels perhaps should be treated with a little more respect than the surrounds, but never more than the left center right deserve) will it add to the width channel effect or will it drop it? I wish dolby surround had a II mode that would prioratize the screen-nexus channels the first and second widths and heights.

Their position is you could go full range all the way around. My response was a slow head shake NNNNNN...No:D. I then explained prioritization of zones, LCR being A, Screen Transitional Nexus ...B, and the rest of the room C. Concept embraced although to have to buy a Quantum Logic just to enjoy my width channels.... small price to pay considering we have bigger fish to fry.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Hi Bob,

Not last cedia but I have challenged JBL to drop the tricks and come up with a great sounding atmos demo using their own 12 object processor maybe supercharged with QL processing. I love QL.
They had a demo of QL at Infocomm in Orlando last week and I saw two posts where attendees said it was "jaw dropping".
QL is currently part of Lexicon Pro. I can't say if it will be released for consumers under the JBL Synthesis, Lexicon or Harman brands. I did hear that there are 2 new processors coming from Harman that will include all of the new formats but it is still too early for details.They say QL converts any format into object based 3D surround.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QL demo at Infocomm in Orlando last week and I saw two posts where attendees said it was "jaw dropping".
Would you believe I asked 7 harman employees in the showfloor booth and none had a clue about Lexicon being at the show! Including the help desk. Idiots. This is the second time I am at a show and miss the darn thing. For showeast I'll make it my first stop. It was awesome in 2011 so the extra 4 years of R&D has to help!

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Hi Bob,

Not last cedia but I have challenged JBL to drop the tricks and come up with a great sounding atmos demo using their own 12 object processor maybe supercharged with QL processing. I love QL.
No need to challenge them Peter; they already know that they just need a top team of Canadian DSP programmers/designers. :)
...Who excel in mathematics, sciences, and in their applications.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I heard QL at CEDIA a few years ago, and it was indeed jaw-dropping in how convincingly and naturally it expanded space. Was bummed when it seemed to be dropped -- the Lexicon processor cancelled and so forth. Had an idea for an implementation for it earlier today, and a web search to check where it's at yielded this thread among other things. I have a full Atmos and Auro setup, can tell you based on memory anyway, there's no comparison. And the explanation by the designers at the show indicated tech very different from those two and the forthcoming DTS X in terms of extracting and separating information.

Any word on $$ for the Lex. and perhaps forthcoming processors?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I heard QL at CEDIA a few years ago, and it was indeed jaw-dropping in how convincingly and naturally it expanded space. Was bummed when it seemed to be dropped -- the Lexicon processor cancelled and so forth. Had an idea for an implementation for it earlier today, and a web search to check where it's at yielded this thread among other things. I have a full Atmos and Auro setup, can tell you based on memory anyway, there's no comparison. And the explanation by the designers at the show indicated tech very different from those two and the forthcoming DTS X in terms of extracting and separating information.

Any word on $$ for the Lex. and perhaps forthcoming processors?

List price was 6 but output blu link so you need bss, it would be great to add the codec to the trinnov, when it was hsown at cinemacon it sounded great too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts