AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I'm trying to figure out how to take VRO files from a DVD-RAM created on an HS2 from an old video tape then edit them on my PC via my LF-D311 DVD-RAM drive. I have read the posts here on the forum, but I'm confused.:confused:

I have various programs at my disposal:

Ulead Media Studio 6.5

Adobe Premier 6.5

Pinnacle Studio Pro 7.11

Roxio VideoPack 5

Sonic ReelDVD 3.0.3

None seem to read a VRO renamed to MPG properly. I either get nothing or I get the first of the two programs I put on the DVD-RAM (with no sound). Help!

My LF-D311 drive came in my Gateway computer. I have seen people talk of Movie Album from Panasonic. How does one find this program if they have an OEM version of the drive that didn't come with the software? I have searched the WWW but can't find anywhere to purchase/order/download it.

I really don't understand what a VRO file vs an MPG file vs a VOB file is. Perhaps somone has a link to a simple explanation of all this video stuff. I'm trying to get started with this video editing stuff, but I'm a doctor, not a video engineer. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
OK.. short simple bullets.

Movie Album is a utility program that was bundled with the LF-D321 RETAIL packages. Probably not with the Gateway. If you do a search you will find a message that gives the part number/phone number to order from Panasonic National Parts and get the CD with it.

VRO vs VOB vs MPEG2: Sometimes something is all in a name, sometimes it's in how it's put together. BASICALLY a VRO (video recording object), VOB (Video Object) and MPG (well duh..) fail contain all the same thing, it's just how it's multiplexed together. SOME PROGRAMS will gleefully accept a VRO renamed to MPG, some will grudgingly, some will barf in your face. (more on what to do later).

Editing a VRO: Right now, I know of exactly ONE program that will accept a VRO file 'as is' and let you edit it, KEEP THE AC3 AUDIO TRACK and in the process make a MPG file that 99% of the rest of the world will accept. That is Womble MPEG2VCR ( www.womble.com ).

Manipulating a VRO. YOu COULD edit a VRO DIRECTLY off the RAM disc, but I don't recommend it ('specially if you have two or more programs, sometimes the editor will get 'confused' withough having the benefit of the indexes on the DVD_RAM to guide it). It is also slow and sluggish. THE BEST WAY involved a small utility on the MOVIE ALBUM CD that will let you copy an individual program from the DVD-RAM to the HD and let you edit it as a VRO from there.

As far as authoring, I still like Ulead DVD Workshop (v1.2 and up will support the AC3 audio track).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Londo,

Thank you SO MUCH for the helpful info. I'll see if I can find the message you reference about ordering Movie Album.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.