AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many people I have noticed that with the AVIA subwoofer setup, my sub gets little or no signal when my speakers are set to "large." I am a little uncertain as to the optimal subwoofer setup for my system and preferences. This system is for movies only.

My preference is to keep my main front L&R spkrs set to "large" and to set my center channel and rears to "small." My sub was built with the goal of providing lower octave support ONLY. My mains are very high quality full range speakers and do a great job down in the 40-80 range and I don't want the sub to pick up the burden in this frequency range and up b/c it will NOT do so as well has my mains. I would like to set the sub at 40hz to pick up those frequencies and below. The sub is currently connected through one of the two "woofer" jacks on the Sony.

I assume that the LFE processing in these AV receivers and processors is some kind of bass redirectional method whereby one only gets LF if some/all (?) the other 5 speakers are not set to large. If any speaker is set to large, I assume that it undertakes all the LF directed to that channel by the soundtrack and there is no LF from that channel to redirect to the subwoofer. correct?

Questions:

1. if my mains are set to large and my center and rears to small, will the LFE processing send all the LF information to my sub that would occur if the mains were set to small? Will I be "losing" any LF information for my sub (ie the lowest frequencies to the main channels)? I can't imagine that the lowest frequencies (ie, the ones I want sent to my sub-- 40hz and under) would be directed to some and not all speakers. If so, this would seem to my optimal setup b/c as long as some of the speakers are set to small, I should get all the LF information redirected to my sub-- my only issue would be assuring that my sub is properly crossed over to integrate with my mains.

2. What are the crossover points that these processors generally use when redirecting bass? are they adjustable? will adjustiments work with DD and DTS material?

Equipment:

Sony ES 555 AV reciever

Full range front L&R speakers (fairly flat to 40hz using AVIA)

mid sized center channel spkr

small rear channel spkrs

DIY subwoofer (15" driver, 4 cu ft. single port box tuned to 27 hz w/ variable x-over 40-180)

· Registered
109 Posts
JXO,

My system:

Denon AVR3300, Paradigm 80s FR/FL, CC-350, 40s RR/RL, PSW2200 Sub.

My Sub gets same LFE signal regardless of small/large settings. My fronts are set to large and this just adds a little more LFE punch directed towards the viewers (sub is coming in from side at front of room).

I would not understand the logic in taking any signal away from the sub to re-direct to other speakers.

Is your sub active/powered? Your amp should/could be sending a low signal to the sub expecting the sub to amp it up. My sub has vol control, crossover control, and phase built into it. Because of this I can choose to send a low signal to the sub and set sub vol control to get same level as other speakers.

Sorry I do not have experience with Sony receiver that you have.

ImpalaBob

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Impala Bob:
JXO,

My system:

Denon AVR3300, Paradigm 80s FR/FL, CC-350, 40s RR/RL, PSW2200 Sub.

My Sub gets same LFE signal regardless of small/large settings. My fronts are set to large and this just adds a little more LFE punch directed towards the viewers (sub is coming in from side at front of room).

I would not understand the logic in taking any signal away from the sub to re-direct to other speakers.

Is your sub active/powered? Your amp should/could be sending a low signal to the sub expecting the sub to amp it up. My sub has vol control, crossover control, and phase built into it. Because of this I can choose to send a low signal to the sub and set sub vol control to get same level as other speakers.

Sorry I do not have experience with Sony receiver that you have.

ImpalaBob
Thanks for the reply. the sub is powered.

See http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...pril-2000.html

for thoughts on the logic of redirecting bass signals.

What are your settings for your center and rear speakers?

I am trying to determine whether to:

1. connect the sub to the woofer preout and hope it gets all the bass it should or

2. connect it to the front preout connectors (as to how, I am unclear: use L or R channel, both or a y cable?) and use the variable x-over in the sub to blend it with my main speakers.

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I admit it... I went to another forum to ask the same question. A consensus formed that the best setup for me is to connect the sub to the front preouts NOT the woofer output and turn the subwoofer setting to OFF. The reasoning goes like this: the sub is crappy at 50hz and above, so its xover is set to 40 hz, this setting blends the sub well with the main speakers, which do well down to 40 or so; if the receiver is set for subwoofer ON and the center/surrounds to SMALL, then all bass info under 80 hz (or thereabouts, depending on what the Sony does) that would otherwise be sent to the center/surrounds gets redirected to the sub but b/c the sub is xover'd at 40 hz, I would be "losing" much of that 40-80hz signal. Now, if the sub setting is turned to OFF and the center/surrounds to SMALL, I am told that all bass info under 80hz will be sent to the front channel speakers. By integrating the sub into the front channels, the sub will pick up everything under 40hz and the front/main speakers will do the work in the 40-80hz (as well as everything above) range-- and no bass info will be "lost". If this is actually what is happening, it sounds like the right approach.

Any thoughts?

Is anyone using a 2-male to 1 female y-cable to feed the subwoofer from the main preouts? is this right way to connect the sub to the preouts?

· Registered
Samsung 65" S95B QD-OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center, 2subs
710 Posts
jxo,

The consensus is also what I would recommend. Using a y-connector is the way that I would go assuming your sub has only one line-level input. The crossover frequency on your receiver is rather problematic. There's really no standard for the industry. About the only way to determine the crossover is to use a test disk and see where it gets rolled off. To do this, however, you have to have a very good idea about your room's nodes. The other way is to find a review of your receiver in one of the magazines as they usually give the crossover. I've seen receivers with crossovers set over 100Hz! However, even if the crossover on your receiver is 100 I don't think it'll be a problem since your mains will be reproducing the signals.

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Avdoc: thanks for the reply. Getting x-over and FR info on my av receiver is a pain. The owners manual is not very useful and may imply that it uses a 100hz cutoff, but can't really tell and cannot determine whether it can be changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.