AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bit of a noob question perhaps. My Yammie has only 1 x-over point and that's 90. I have the Quintets so I have that enabled. I know that when listening to music the receiver will send all hz below 90 to the sub. (btw, single rca cable, sub pre-out) But what about for movies? We all know Dolby Digital has that dedicated .1 LFE channel. Does the 90hz xover control that as well? If it does, does that mean any sub frequencies sent to the LFE above 90hz will be sent to my speakers? Thanks in advance

HTR-5660

*new* Bic 100

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
The .1 LFE channel will be managed by your receiver to use the 90Hz xover. No problem there. If your receiver have 5.1 analog in and use that input, however, most receivers will pass 5.1 channel directly to amp section without processing. So your xover point has to be set on the source, i.e. your player that sends out 5.1 analog.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetun /forum/post/14336948

Does the 90hz xover control that as well? If it does, does that mean any sub frequencies sent to the LFE above 90hz will be sent to my speakers?

The portion of the LFE channel above 90Hz will definitely not be sent to the speakers. What that receiver may very well do (and it varies from receiver to receiver) is truncate that portion of the LFE channel above 90Hz and not send it to the subwoofer at all. It is lost. This is how many receivers worked a few years back. Just an undesirable side-effect of how their bass management worked. Some receivers may not do this and many today have a setting called "LPF of LFE" (or something similar); Low Pass Frequency of LFE. These receivers will not truncate the LFE channel at the crossover setting (unless desired) and a different low-pass can be utilized for the LFE channel alone, allowing the entire LFE channel to be sent to the subwoofer. This setting defaults to 120Hz on these receivers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, should have clarified, the sub is connected with rca cable (not speaker wire), equipment is all optical cable.

sivadselm: Yeah that sounds right. It's one of the many flaws with this receiver.

thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts