AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to HT and have what I hope are a couple of really basic questions. My receiver is the Kenwood VRS-7100.
  1. My understanding is if I set all of my speakers to "normal" instead of "large" (there is no "small" setting), it will send all LF below some crossover point to the subwoofer channel. There is no setting to adjust the crossover point. Does this mean it's 80Hz? (I've read that's the standard.)
  2. The receiver has an adjustment for LFE level. The manual describes it like this:

Quote:
    Adjust the level of the low-frequency fields effect (LFE) signal, which is the signal used exclusively for giving the field effect of bass tone, in the Dolby Digital or DTS signal. The LFE level is adjusted form 0dB to -10dB in 1dB step decrements.

The default value is 0dB. Should I set it to -10dB? I've read that the LFE signal in at least DD (not sure about DTS) is encoded at -10dB. I have my DVD player hooked up with a digital cable, so presumably the receiver is getting a -10dB signal. But wouldn't the DD decoder automatically apply the +10dB boost? I don't know if the receiver is relying on me to manually make the adjustment or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Simple answer is get or borrow an SPL meter from Radio Shack. If your receiver has a tone generator for speaker setup great, use this and adjust the level of your sub so all channels have equal output at a given volume. If your receiver does not have this feature, you'll need a test disc with test tones (make sure they play long enough so you have time for adjustments).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If there's no crossover setting, it's probably 80Hz. Could be 100Hz though.

The LFE setting should be set at 0dB. You should never need to touch this. "0dB" will give the necessary +10dB boost; "-10dB" would remove it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
ephemere, I don't have a Kenwood, but I do have a Yamaha. According to my Yamaha manual, the LFE crossover is set (fixed, no adjustment available) at 90 hz. So, I guess different brand receivers have slightly different settings possibly? Maybe it says somewhere in your manual? My receiver also has the same 10-0 and -10 decibel settings that yours has and also is defaulted at 0. My subwoofer amplifier has freq. and gain controls on it. I set the freq control at above the 90 hz setting (probably somewhere around 100+-can't remember exactly).

As bryan.c has suggested, I adjusted the gain on it using the spl. I think it's probably set around the one o'clock position. Does your subwoofer have a "gain" control on it?

Good Luck, Frank

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy /forum/post/0

ephemere, I don't have a Kenwood, but I do have a Yamaha. According to my Yamaha manual, the LFE crossover is set (fixed, no adjustment available) at 90 hz. So, I guess different brand receivers have slightly different settings possibly? Maybe it says somewhere in your manual? My receiver also has the same 10-0 and -10 decibel settings that yours has and also is defaulted at 0. My subwoofer amplifier has freq. and gain controls on it. I set the freq control at above the 90 hz setting (probably somewhere around 100+-can't remember exactly).

As bryan.c has suggested, I adjusted the gain on it using the spl. I think it's probably set around the one o'clock position. Does your subwoofer have a "gain" control on it?

Good Luck, Frank

I have a Yammy that is fixed at 90Hz as well. Do you set your sub at 100hz to avoid a crossover bump at 90Hz? Just curious as I am wondering how to optimize my crossover settings. Suggestions welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.