AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look I more than anyone want to get the maximum specs on hardware. But I follow Murphy's Law when it comes to product announcements.

The way they are wording things right now leaves them a lot of wiggle room. Notice how neither console specifies a frame rate for 8K.

I'm sure they will have "HDMI 2.1". The problem is that can be anything from 24 - 48 Gbps.
We'll just have to wait and see. I see 8K more or less as a gimmick, I don't believe many games, if any, will even support it. Might be more for apps like Youtube etc.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
The problem is that can be anything from 24 - 48 Gbps.
Not anything. Only 24Gbps, 32Gbps, 40Gbps and 48Gbps. It's not called FRL (Fixed Rate Link) for nothing.

Yes, I know what you meant. Just being pedantically funny here. :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
Like Rasmus from flatpanels says... true 2.1hdmi can pass a 8k signal.
The 2019 Lg oleds can be the only 4K ones that manage to show a future 8k signal.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Like Rasmus from flatpanels says... true 2.1hdmi can pass a 8k signal.
The 2019 Lg oleds can be the only 4K ones that manage to show a future 8k signal.
They don't support DSC so you'd be limited to 30Hz 4:2:0. There's no point for a 4K TV to accept an 8K resolution.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
UPS just picked up my 55” LG CX. LG will be mailing my return buyback check for the full retail price. What a 2020 kick in the nuts.

I’m gonna settle for a HDMI 2.1 Vizio OLED 2020 just because they are HDMI 2.1 48Gbps advertised in writing. And 55” for less than a grand I’m all over this.

And let’s be honest it’s a C9/CX panel. That Vizio. Buys from LG.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’️m gonna settle for a HDMI 2.1 Vizio OLED 2020 just because they are HDMI 2.1 48Gbps advertised in writing. And 55” for less than a grand I’️m all over this.

And let’️s be honest it’️s a C9/CX panel. That Vizio. Buys from LG.
Where are you finding their claim that it supports 48 Gbps? I was trying to find that the other day because I will definitely get the Vizio in place of LG if it does. Vizio is confirmed to support DV, HDR10+, eARC, ALLM, QMS, VRR, FreeSync at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a CX about 2 weeks ago to use for PC/console gaming and TV/movies. I plan to get a 3080Ti when it arrives. Having followed this fiasco and still being within the return period, I've since returned it and got a C9. I was able to compare them both side by side at my place and couldn't detect a picture quality difference during real world use. My C9's panel uniformity is slightly worse during testing but not enough to make a noticeable difference with normal use. Saved a few hundred bucks and don't have to worry about Nvidia hopefully adding 10bit 4:4:4 120Hz to Ampere.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Got a C9 55 on saturday for Console gaming. The plan was to Get the Lg 48cx when that was out.
But the News of the hdmi down grade this year and nobody knows what the next gen consoles can do yet.
I decided to «safe» if with a C9 insted.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got a C9 55 on saturday for Console gaming. The plan was to Get the Lg 48cx when that was out.
But the News of the hdmi down grade this year and nobody knows what the next gen consoles can do yet.
I decided to «safe» if with a C9 insted.
I am incredibly conflicted as well. Plan to use a Nvidia card and not sure I will be able to output at 10bits. Really frustrating.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am incredibly conflicted as well. Plan to use a Nvidia card and not sure I will be able to output at 10bits. Really frustrating.
Its a better safe than sorry situation atm. Getting a C9 now n upgrading it in 1/2 years if specs changes one wont lose much money on one.

·
Super Moderator
15,962 Posts
Thread cleanup. Bickering/name calling removed. Stay on topic.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Any thoughts on the C9 vs CX freesync update? Will the C9 actually get it?
LG has not promised Freesync for the C9 so I doubt they'll update the EDID to support it natively. But it can be used with a CRU change to the EDID.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LG has not promised Freesync for the C9 so I doubt they'll update the EDID to support it natively. But it can be used with a CRU change to the EDID.
Good to know! For next-gen consoles would it be irrelevant since Xbox already supports standard VRR?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Both next gen consoles are expected to have HDMI VRR.
There is no “expected to have HDMI VRR” with the Xbox Series X; it is confirmed by Microsoft that the Series X has that functionality. I think it’s important to point that out, even though Sony hasn’t confirmed VRR, it’s safe to assume their system will, too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is no “expected to have HDMI VRR” with the Xbox Series X; it is confirmed by Microsoft that the Series X has that functionality. I think it’s important to point that out, even though Sony hasn’t confirmed VRR, it’s safe to assume their system will, too.
Sony also confirmed HDMI VRR.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/?ref-cat=254013

What Sony has not confirmed is support for FreeSync via HDMI. I would not be surprised if Sonys PS5 will only have support for HDMI VRR since FreeSync via HDMI is "PC tech". Microsoft on the other hand confirmed support for HDMI VRR and FreeSync via HDMI.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/?ref-cat=254013

What Sony has not confirmed is support for FreeSync via HDMI. I would not be surprised if Sonys PS5 will only have support for HDMI VRR since FreeSync via HDMI is "PC tech". Microsoft on the other hand confirmed support for HDMI VRR and FreeSync via HDMI.
My apologies, I missed that news from Sony. My intent with my post was to lead away from the word “expected” which tilts towards uncertainty.

So, more importantly, there is no “expected to...” for either systems, but a “confirmed to have.” :D

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I lumped the two together for that statement. I wasn't sure about the PS5 as I completely forgot they mentioned it in their blog.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Take note, there is no FreeSync or G-Sync technology anywhere in the HDMI specification.

Both AMD and Nvidia are just using the HDMI Forum HDMI 2.1 Vesa VRR feature. An in-built feature in the HDMI 2.1 port itself. (That has been backported to HDMI 2.0 i.e. RTX cards and X1X) It is just a marketing play to call it FreeSync or G-Sync certified when all they are doing is just leveraging the built in HDMI 2.1 VRR feature.

So... Similar to AMD's GPU cards that can do LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) on the GPU side, it is just a matter of leveraging this feature available to the PS5. But since it is done on the GPU itself, Sony might be saving this up as a 'feature' of the PS5 as opposed to FORCING consumers to have to use a Samsung TV in order to get LFC ala the Xbox Series X. Which again, is a feature done on the GPU side. But Samsung marketing team decides to use this as a push for sales.

Take note, Nvidia doesn't play kind to the monitor space. When they finally went with the FreeSync standard of VRR via DisplayPort, they made sure those previously FreeSync monitors do not mention anything to do with FreeSync and leave in way below in the pages. Thus why you'll see G-Sync Compatible for old monitors that were originally only supports FreeSync.
The same pattern is being applied to the TV industry unfortunately. AMD can easily provide FreeSync compatibility support for LG. But LG can't approach them because of Nvidia's limitation that Nvidia imposed on LG. Similarly as to why Nvidia refuses to allows their cards that can easily support the Samsung QLED TVs as again, all they are doing is leveraging the HDMI Forum VRR technology. But alas, it's a marketing play by Nvidia. In the end, it is us, the consumers that suffers from this.

And with this, you should be thankful that Sony decides to mention the VRR technology for what it is, a HDMI 2.1 VRR technology and nothing else. No consumers will lose out as a result of being forced to getting 1 TV over the other just because you needed this feature.
So let's hope that LFC is available but via the GPU rendering side as opposed to the TV.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/?cjevent=a6d1ab9b960411ea806100c00a18050c

61 - 80 of 85 Posts