AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. First time poster here but I've been a member for about a month after being bitten by the HD bug. I've decided to get a HDTV for movies, games (xbox360), and HD sports. I think a 30" will suit me just fine considering I have a small apartment and I'm currently sitting 5-6' away from my 19" 13 year old Sony Trinitron. My main goal is to spend no higher than $1000. I've narrowed down my choices to these 2 tvs: LG 30FZ4D and Sony 30XS955. I've seen both in action and I thought the LG had better PQ. I can get both of them for under $1000 with the Sony being about $200 more. What do you guys think I should get? Should I pay more for Sony's reputation or less and a get better PQ (personal opinion)? All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
While I don't question your judgement in reference to the picture quality of these televisions, it is always smart to question where you have viewed these sets. If you saw them in a best buy or another electronics retailer, then the picture on all sets is most definitely watered down with excessive brightness, sharpness, etc. As a result, in-store displays are not a very good judge of picture quality. About a month ago, I was in your same position deciding between these two sets after having to deal with the geometry problems from several Samsung Slimfits. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Sony for several reasons. For one, I have thoroughly read the posts from users on these forums in which many owners of these lg sets complain of problems that have been present in zenith sets for years. I won't go in to detail, but the info is all here in these forums. Secondly, the lg is basically a zenith tv and bottom line, the big name brand usually seems to outperform competitors. Basically, I decided that after searching for the best deal for a 30" hdtv and having to deal with the crappy Slimfit, I told myself that I wasn't going to screw around anymore! I got the Sony & I couldn't be happier. The extra cost was well worth it. I followed the plethora of recommendations found on these forums on optimizing this set in the service menu. Having seen many different consumer televisions, I can say without any uncertainty that this set has the best picture I have ever seen. HD is amazing, and I have the Oppo Digital Upconverting DVD player hooked up via HDMI and picture looks incredible with no macroblocking at all.

Basically, both sets will probably be a good investment for years to come. I just felt the Sony was a better investment & I have no disappointment.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
you definitely viewed the Sony under poor comditions if you think the LG looked better

most probably the Sony was on Vivid mode which is just horrible

but anyways, I own the Sony KD30Xs955 and you will not find a better 30" TV period

HD looks simply incredible on this TV

also consider the Sony has nearly double the resolution of the LG

800 vs 1400 on the Sony

·
Registered
166 Posts
I saw this one at Best Buy the other day too and the LG looked vastly superior. I'm comparing this to the 30" Sony.

The Sony did have a 14:1 bar in the top right hand corner of the screen and I have no idea if that "mode" affected the picture quality.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also saw both of these TVs at Best Buy yesterday. I thought that the Sony did have a nicer picture. I must add, that it was 200 clams more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I own a LG30FZ4D. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I've owned Sony all my life, but I decided to go with this LG for my den. At first I was unimpressed with the PQ, but after I made a few setting changes I am very happy. I would say the Sony will probably be pretty good right out the box, but with some adjustments on this LG, PQ can be just as good as the Sony, for about $200 bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jermaine I just purchased the LG and I'm curious what settings did you change? I'm trying to find the best settings. What did you go with?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've seen both tv's at two diffrent stores..one store the LG looked better and the other store the Sony looked better. It really is a lost cause trying to compare the two in a big store.

I have yet to see either of the tv's in a properly lit demo room but i HAVE seen the xbr955 and xbr 960 in a properly lit demo room next to some 3000+ plasma's and quite honestly..the xbr & xs955 looked better to me.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
there will be no difference in image quality between the XS955 30" and 34"

so the above comments should say something to you prospective buyer

this sets are comparable to multi thousand dollar plasmas

Quote:
I own a LG30FZ4D. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
no one said the LG was a bad TV, just out of its league in comparsion to the Super Fine Pitch Sonys

but when I saw it released

I was very interested in the LG (but have already bought my 30XS955)

it has a nice cabinet, a VGA input (rare for CRT TVs these days), spdif in/out (as I remember)

I heard it also has DCDi processing

but it does not have a cable card slot like the XS955

thats a big one there IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.