Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my LG 3200A

Overall appears exactly like the Sony - I like the remote though (no flip cover which I believe some said the Sony has).

The custom menu thing is annoying but I actually like the Surf Guide for changing around stations. The guide does drop audio when it puts the screen in the upper left corner. That is a little annoying as well - but for general surfing I am using the custom Surf Guide and it does not drop audio (and I like just the logos).

I posted in the other thread concerning OTA performance on the Sony. 2 of my digital stations are performing worse with the 3200A vs. my older Samsung T150. I still have to check my antenna and connections but this could be a problem.

Also - no audio dropouts all evening (running digital toslink cable to receiver).

Overall - I am very pleased. If I can just get my OTA HD ABC to clear up I do not believe I am going to have any other real issues (the custom guide thing I can overcome with my Pronto).

I'd say the LG is exactly like the Sony as has been previously indicated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
According to the manual, the LSS-2300A ATSC Tuner uses LG's 4th generation VSB technology for improved over-the-air digital reception. It is possible the improvements are in solving multipath problems at the expense of receiver sensitivity for weak stations.

From Northern Virginia, I can receive all of the Baltimore stations with the Zenith 1080 & Zenith 520 with "normal" readings. The LG LSS-3200A detects the Baltimore stations, but only gets a "bad" reading ~ not enough to display. Of course, all of the Washington area stations are perfect.

The simultaneous HDTV & 480i works great, which facilitates DirecTV recording. Tom

P.S. I edited the above post from "good" to "normal" readings for the Zenith 1080 & Zenith 520. When I wrote it, I was thinking that "good" was the middle range. From my experience, "normal" readings are sufficient for viewing.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my Samsung T-150 my CBS was at about 60% and all of the rest were around 35-40% on the strenght meter. All locked in just fine.

On the LG my CBS is at about 80% (perfect reception), NBC is about 50% (perfect reception), ABC is about 40% (get some sporatic blocks), and by Fox/WB are about 35% still and are unwatchable (luckily these are only SD and I don't care if I get or not). Actually, CBS is the only station broadcasting at full power - so once the other go full power I would not expect any problems from my location (when ever that may actually happen).

It does appear the LG is slightly more sensitive in its reception of signals but requires at least 40% strength before given any reliable output. My Samsung was reliable at very low signal strenghts.

The other strange thing is that in original setup these stations were not picked up - like they didn't show available for my area or something. I had to manually add them. During manual add it searched and found them fine? Is it something strange with the channel not being verified with DirecTV or something.

Hopefully, JFerg can look into this a little (now that he has LG owners to discuss this with) and find out more information about the ATSC Tuner and how it behaves. Also - how about a firmware fix to get that default custom guide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does the signal strength meter give you an actual number ot is it bad/normal/good like the Sony. Also is the remote able to controld other components, like volume on an amp etc.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Zenith 1080, Zenith 520, and the LSS-2300A use the same meter to measure/display signal strength. Using the same antenna lead the 2300A shows less signal strength for the distant Baltimore stations. Tom

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't give a number just a bar rising from bad/normal/good. As with my Samsung, I am just estimating a % up from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Stupid question, but are we talking about a 3200 or 2300? I thought the STB was the 3200 but all these 2300 references, if not just typos, are confusing me.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - it does default to All. It also has a brief sound delay as with the Sony when switching from full screen video to the video box in the guide (I don't really have a problem with that).

It does, as with the Sony, have the surf menu. The surf menu brings up the channel logo's for all your favorite channels. The surf menu is an overlay over top of the full screen video - so it does not interupt the sound. What would have been nice is if the surf menu had a way you could press info on each of the icons and get the current program description.

As I am going to setup my Pronto to automatically go to the custom guide, and I also like the surf menu, each of these issues is not a problem for me.

I would also like to put a plug in for www.********************* (since they are a sponsor I would assume that is ok). Robert (and Graham) did an excellent job getting me all of my new DirecTV equipment. They actually sent me 2 overnight shipments at no charge so I would have everything yesterday (including the the 3200A). Robert at **************** even followed up calling me at home last night to make sure everything arrived properly and that my install went smoothly. Robert is also a frequent poster here on the forum (DTV Tivo Dealer).

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Thanks, there are too many model numbers to remember as it is!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I called LG Customer Support this morning. They sent an email to the engineers (probably Korea) and promised me a reply tomorrow. For me, the LSS-3200A is a nice DirecTV/OTA receiver. We need more field reports regarding possible weak/long distance signal reception. Tom

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm using a Channel Master 7 ft. Parascope (4251) with a Titan 7775 UHF antenna pre-amp ~ slpit to two receivers. I also have a Winegard UHF 9095/UHF 4700 antenna pre-amp/with rotor ~ split to four receivers. I have the LG LSS-3200A, Zenith 520, Zenith 1080, Toshiba DST-3000, Samsung SIR-T150, Panny 50 & 51, AccessDTV card, & MyHD card. I've been doing this for well over four years. I'm tellling you that the LSS-3200A can not receive the Baltimore stations. Please don't talk about too much signal, since all the nearby Washington stations are perfect. Hope this helps. To properly evaluate the new LG box, we need some more field reports regarding weak signal strength reception. Tom

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Winegard Sensar II amplified antenna. The amplifier is built into the antenna with the power box downstairs.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worked on getting my Pronto setup with the LG this evening. None of the built in database codes would work so I had to learn the buttons from the original remote. Now have the Guide so it goes to the custom automatically.

I very much like having my OTA HD integrated in with the remaining channels. The Pronto then gives me direct access to each of the different HD channels without using guide or anything.

Still getting a little pixelization on ABC - but haven't tried working with the antenna yet either. I'm going to also try it without the amplifier power hooked up to see if that is putting in some line noise the box doesn't like. Being I'm so close to no problems with ABC I'm hopefull just getting a tiny bit more signal with some antenna adjustment will clear everything up.

Note: LG box no wobbly legs and have not had a single audio dropout.

Summary of open issues (Hopefully JFerg can get some answers):

1. Performance with Weak OTA stations

2. Brief audio drop when switching to guide display

3. Lack of ability to set Custom Guide as default

·
Registered
441 Posts
OK... Allow me to explain how a software update works. A manufacturer get one software update transmitted by DirecTV. Therefore, when a update is needed, "we" have to make sure it takes care of as many problems as possible. The concern about how the guide comes up (defaulting to "All") is noted.

The audio drop-out when switching to Guide is most likely due to the fact that there is twice as much guide info being accessed than on previous models (3.5 day APG vs. 7day APG). This however is being looked into for confirmation.

The weak signal recption... well, let's just say that Mr. Harms' file is actually on my desk.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.