AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped my parents pick their first HDTV (32" because of space limitations), and chose the LG 32LE5400. After hooking it up last night, I'm surprised at how disappointed I am. The panel itself is flawless. I made sure it was an IPS. The issue I have is with the terrible black levels. Lowering the backlight and contrast doesn't really help much. On top of that, the picture isn't really vibrant. It almost looks like it's in movie mode, which is especially apparent while I'm watching a hockey game right now. Although this TV is sharper and 1080p, my 2007 Samsung LNT3253H has much better blacks and looks better to me overall. It doesn't make sense, because that Samsung has an 8,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and LG claims 4,000,000:1 for this TV.


So, I'm just wondering if a regular CCFL would be a better idea. One of the reasons I chose an LG is because it was $300 off, and their highest end 32" model. Sony's best 32", the KDL-32EX710 is also edge lit LED, so that might not be much better, but the KDL-32EX500, although a lower end model, seems to be decent. I don't care how thick the TV is. Picture quality is the main concern. Would the KDL-32EX500, which isn't heavily discounted, be the best choice?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
126 Posts
Comically, you are the only one who says a bad thing about IPS LE5400. At least, one of the three possible things I can see out of you:


1) You lie for an unknown reason. (i.e. You could be a Sony fanboy).


2) You don't know how to read the number for IPS. You probably got "D" model.


3) Your television could be defected, which is extremely rare. On the other hand, it could be mislabeled (i.e. Your panel is VA, but it's being labeled as an IPS).


Overall, no one will buy your story. Take LG back and buy Sony, you're still disappointed knowing that the true IPS LE5400 still outperforms your new Sony at everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4
Comically, you are the only one who says a bad thing about IPS LE5400. At least, one of the three possible things I can see out of you:


1) You lie for an unknown reason. (i.e. You could be a Sony fanboy).


2) You don't know how to read the number for IPS. You probably got "D" model.


3) Your television could be defected, which is extremely rare. On the other hand, it could be mislabeled (i.e. Your panel is VA, but it's being labeled as an IPS).


Overall, no one will buy your story. Take LG back and buy Sony, you're still disappointed knowing that the true IPS LE5400 still outperforms your new Sony at everything.
Dude, you're accusing him of being a Sony fanboy, but your response could easily label you as a LG fanboy.


Anyways, the black levels on the LG LD450/LD550/LD650 series (which is the CCFL version of the LE5300/LE5400 series) isn't that great either. Through colorimeter measurements, De3k was only able to attain a black level of 0.20 cd/m^2 on the LD450 series. He got it down to 0.10 cd/m^2, but it messed up picture quality pretty bad.


As for the Sony EX500 series, although I don't have quantitative numbers to back it up, the black levels were definitely better than the LD450 based on my side-by-side comparison.


JPowers, assuming your primary TV use is for TV watching and movies, then go with the EX500. Also, never compare contrast numbers from one brand to another. Advertised contrast ratios have become such a marketing gimmick these days that's there's not much truth in the numbers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum
Dude, you're accusing him of being a Sony fanboy, but your response could easily label you as a LG fanboy.


Anyways, the black levels on the LG LD450/LD550/LD650 series (which is the CCFL version of the LE5300/LE5400 series) isn't that great either. Through colorimeter measurements, De3k was only able to attain a black level of 0.20 cd/m^2 on the LD450 series. He got it down to 0.10 cd/m^2, but it messed up picture quality pretty bad.


As for the Sony EX500 series, although I don't have quantitative numbers to back it up, the black levels were definitely better than the LD450 based on my side-by-side comparison.


JPowers, assuming your primary TV use is for TV watching and movies, then go with the EX500. Also, never compare contrast numbers from one brand to another. Advertised contrast ratios have become such a marketing gimmick these days that's there's not much truth in the numbers.
Please use your English skill to read my sentence carefully. I didn't accuse he is a Sony fanboy, but he could be. I don't know what is the reason for his lying, so I put a small tiny example of him being a fanboy. Geez, I feel like I'm helping you to polish your Reading skill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4
Comically, you are the only one who says a bad thing about IPS LE5400. At least, one of the three possible things I can see out of you:


1) You lie for an unknown reason. (i.e. You could be a Sony fanboy).


2) You don't know how to read the number for IPS. You probably got "D" model.


3) Your television could be defected, which is extremely rare. On the other hand, it could be mislabeled (i.e. Your panel is VA, but it's being labeled as an IPS).


Overall, no one will buy your story. Take LG back and buy Sony, you're still disappointed knowing that the true IPS LE5400 still outperforms your new Sony at everything.
Congratulations! That's the most childish response anyone has ever given me on the internet. Here:





The TV's not defective, it's perfect. No reason to get butt-hurt.


thepoohcontinuum, thanks for the response. Like I said, this isn't my TV. I bought it and set it up for my parents. I knew before buying it that the black levels weren't going to be great, but I wasn't sure what to expect. It seems like these edge lit LED TVs are more about style. I want 1080p & 120hz in 32" and there aren't many choices, that's why I mentioned the Sony CCFL as a choice, and not their LED model.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers
Congratulations! That's the most childish response anyone has ever given me on the internet. Here:





The TV's not defective, it's perfect. No reason to get butt-hurt.


thepoohcontinuum, thanks for the response. Like I said, this isn't my TV. I bought it and set it up for my parents. I knew before buying it that the black levels weren't going to be great, but I wasn't sure what to expect. It seems like these edge lit LED TVs are more about style. I want 1080p & 120hz in 32" and there aren't many choices, that's why I mentioned the Sony CCFL as a choice, and not their LED model.
Now, number 2 is crossed out. It's still pathetic how my 32LE5400 is still better than your TV. Your TV must be mislabeled or defected inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4
Now, number 2 is crossed out. It's still pathetic how my 32LE5400 is still better than your TV. Your TV must be mislabeled or defected inside.
No, its just you clearly have a difference in tolerance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4 /forum/post/19634168


I didn't accuse he is a Sony fanboy, but he could be.

Wow. Maybe you should pull out a dictionary and figure out what "accuse" means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers /forum/post/19634178


thepoohcontinuum, thanks for the response. Like I said, this isn't my TV. I bought it and set it up for my parents. I knew before buying it that the black levels weren't going to be great, but I wasn't sure what to expect. It seems like these edge lit LED TVs are more about style. I want 1080p & 120hz in 32" and there aren't many choices, that's why I mentioned the Sony CCFL as a choice, and not their LED model.

If you're really into IPS panel technology (bright vivid colors, excellent image quality, and low input lag), you could try the Panasonic U25 series. It uses an IPS Alpha panel instead of the S-IPS panel in your LE5400. **Theoretically** speaking, IPS Alpha keeps all the great picture qualities of S-IPS, but mitigates its issues as well -- including black levels.


Edit: Nevermind the U25. It only comes in 42" size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4
I said he could be, which doesn't define accusation. If I accused him. then I wouldn't say "could be." You need to hone your reading skill.
How can you accuse someone of having bad "English skill" when you really mean bad "comprehension?" And when you said he may have a "defected" TV I'm guessing you meant "defective" unless the Sony sneaked itself into the USA from a communist country then maybe you could say it "defected." I think these are two prime examples of the pot calling the kettle black.


I do think it's great that you enjoy your 32LE5400 so much, but to say someone is lying when he's merely expressing an opinion brings your own credibility into question. And, as much as I like the LG, I would almost bet the Sony KDL32EX500 has better screen uniformity since it's CCFL back-lit rather than LED edge-lit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Imo the ex500 is infinitely better than the lg set.


It is fact that the black level of the sony will be between .010 and .015 depending on your settings. better black level.


The image quality in every review you will find on the net will favor the sony beecause its better.


The Sony 120hz interpolation is much better than the lg version. Its nearly flawless with no soap opera effect. Also can be found in many reviews.


The only area that the LG wins is input lag and it wins by around 10ms
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
First, I am a new member, but long time lurker, so Hello everyone. It's great to be here, and to contribute for a change. For what it's worth, on Black Friday, I bought a 42LE5300. From what I understand, this is the same set as the 5400 series, but without the internet access. It is an IPS panel, based on the "W" in the service code. The black level in this TV is the worst I have ever seen. In fact, it hardly has any black level at all. If you look at a blank screen, as in between commercials, the screen is a dark purplish blue, not black. I addition, the picture washes away to a milky silvery hue very quickly at any angle. I have two inexpensive Insignia LCD's, as well as a Samsung LCD and each of them bests the LG easily at both black level and viewing angle. In it's favor, the set does have a beautiful picture when viewing a color-filled scene head on, as most of my viewing is. And, I unfortunately made the mistake of purchasing the TV from a retailer that has a "No Return" policy, so that's not an option. But in my opinion, the OP was correct in his assessment of this set, as my experience was exactly the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
LG's S-IPS is notable for great color reproduction and great off angle viewing. Black level has never been a strong suit unless locally dimmed. If you need deep blacks, you should get a VA panel. If your parents are anything like mine, they probably wouldn't notice anyway, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim
How can you accuse someone of having bad "English skill" when you really mean bad "comprehension?" And when you said he may have a "defected" TV I'm guessing you meant "defective" unless the Sony sneaked itself into the USA from a communist country then maybe you could say it "defected." I think these are two prime examples of the pot calling the kettle black.


I do think it's great that you enjoy your 32LE5400 so much, but to say someone is lying when he's merely expressing an opinion brings your own credibility into question. And, as much as I like the LG, I would almost bet the Sony KDL32EX500 has better screen uniformity since it's CCFL back-lit rather than LED edge-lit.
LOL .. The defected part was rather funny esp with the suggestion that others should improve English reading skills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4
Nice try. I know the fact that my LG doesn't have same problem as you. Again, LG has been known as the best brand for LED.
something is seriously wrong with you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
126 Posts
The sad thing is that Sony also made PS3 video game and still not support the best HDTV in the market for PS3. Honestly, Sony almost never impressed me in the HDTV market. (Best LCD = Samsung, Plasma = Pioneer, and LED = LG). Sony is probably on the same level with Vizio or Westinghouse for the quality of HDTV, except that it has a cool name "Sony."


The only Sony products I would respect are the Z laptop (I own $4500 Sony Z laptop) and PS3. The rest other Sony product has been washed out.


Back to your story, the number looks good. However, when you watch the TV you notice it's not what you expect from the good numbers. It's quality vs quantity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike
Imo the ex500 is infinitely better than the lg set.


It is fact that the black level of the sony will be between .010 and .015 depending on your settings. better black level.


The image quality in every review you will find on the net will favor the sony beecause its better.


The Sony 120hz interpolation is much better than the lg version. Its nearly flawless with no soap opera effect. Also can be found in many reviews.


The only area that the LG wins is input lag and it wins by around 10ms
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4
Nice try. I know the fact that my LG doesn't have same problem as you. Again, LG has been known as the best brand for LED.
Known by whom ?


LG has a few good LED LCDs. None of those are without its problems like other high end LED LCDs. And really good LED LCDs are always full array backlighting with local dimming. And this 32 inch set does not have that tech anyway.


LG's best this year are the LE8500 and LE9500. They compete well with other local dimming sets but like others are not totally problem free,
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top