AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the LG 32LX1D LCD HDTV in Sept. 2005. It was fine for some time ... then one day it wouldn't power up. I called LG who informed me that since it's outside the warranty they would do nothing. This was 16 months after I purchased it which was 4 months outside the manufacturer's warranty.

I took it to an Elite LG service center. The diagnosis: "LCD panel is shorted which

in turn loads the power supply causing it to blow out. Both LCD panel and power

supply need to be replaced". Total repair cost was $2171.96 which is $186 more than I paid for it and $1175 more than a brand new one (newer model of same type and size) would cost at current prices.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this with LG products?

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is VERY remote that there can be an internal short inside the LCD that can short power to ground. The chances are much greater that the Chinese made power supply died on its own. See if you can find the power supply that is internal to the TV. Does the black AC line cord plug directly to the set or does it have an exernal power supply. Look there.

DB

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upef /forum/post/0

I purchased the LG 32LX1D LCD HDTV in Sept. 2005. It was fine for some time ... then one day it wouldn't power up. I called LG who informed me that since it's outside the warranty they would do nothing. This was 16 months after I purchased it which was 4 months outside the manufacturer's warranty.

I took it to an Elite LG service center. The diagnosis: "LCD panel is shorted which

in turn loads the power supply causing it to blow out. Both LCD panel and power

supply need to be replaced". Total repair cost was $2171.96 which is $186 more than I paid for it and $1175 more than a brand new one (newer model of same type and size) would cost at current prices.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this with LG products?

I sell LG to dealers, and what has happened to you is rare. I have never seen it personally.

We made a 60" rear projo LCD under the Zenith name that encountered some problems (now dis-continued). I know of at least one instance where a customer complained loud enough (it was well out of warranty) and the factory split the cost.

I would call back, as the next customer service rep could be more receptive. Also if you do get a promise of any sort, be sure and write everything down.

The # for the Response Center is 800-877-0521.

Just an idea. Hate that you had a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called LG Customer service - the rep was very nice and said that a manager would call me back with 24 hours. That didn't happen.

I called back and was treated very rudely. The rep put me on hold, came back a few minutes later and stated that she had spoke to her manager, and he or she said the TV is too far out of warranty for them to do anything.

This is a defective television set and LG is refusing to stand behind their products. This is not your run-of-the-mill blown power supply - their own authorized elite service center has diagnosed this problem.

When I demanded to be put through to a manager immediately - the rep refused. I want to personally ask an LG manager whether or not they think this television is defective. Regardless of LG giving me anything - I want them to admit that this TV was bad.

I bought the set on a ViSA card and I am going to pursue a claim there but that doesn't change the fact that LG is not standing behind their products. The product performed well and was priced well but the reliability was awful.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see this is an old post but I recently had the same thing happen to my 26LX1D. I suspect it was the power supply because the little red light was out on the TV and it wouldn't power up. Even though I bought the extended warranty when the TV was new, it was past the 3 year period (I also purchased the set in September 2005), so I gave the set to a friend who wants to repair it and I bought the Sharp Aquos Quattron 40 inch LED. I also had called LG initally and got the run around. They wanted me to mail the set to a repair center. It would have cost a fortune just to UPS it anywhere due to the weight. I don't have as much faith in LG as I once did. I still have a 32 inch LG which is now in the bedroom. When it dies, I'll replace it with something other than an LG.

Frances

Sandy Run, S.C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.