AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying the LG 42LB5D or Toshiba 42HL167 but have a little trouble deciding on which one. I have read through the official 2007 Toshiba Regza thread and the LB5D threads here and am still undecided.

The Toshiba is about $200 cheaper than the LG, but the nod for image quality seems to go to the LG. Also the lack of anything more than 1024 x 768 on the VGA port and only 720p or 1080i on the component inputs for the Toshiba is kind of dissapointing, the LG can support up to its panel resolution on all ports right?

I plan to put whichever panel I buy in my bedroom to be used as a computer monitor and HDTV for dvd's, Satellite HD, and Standard def. My laptop only has 15 pin D-sub VGA out, my desktop has VGA and DVI where I would be using the HDMI port. So I want something that will also look decent from the VGA port since my laptop only has that. I'm thinking the 1024 x 768 cap on the Toshiba on such a large display will make the image out of my laptop look not so great.

I have a home theater receiver, so I am only concerned about image quality and product reliability.

going to go to Circuit City tonight w/ my own dvd and ask if I can play these in each of these two displays instead of their standard Discovery HD feed.

Any input on these two displays or which one you would get and why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. The LG was what I was leaning toward. I stopped by Circuit City and Sears after work tonight and looked at both of these displays. They both looked great, but the instore display made the Toshiba appear better because they had their HD-20A HD DVD player hooked up to the toshiba playing a movie in full 1080p and the LG had the standard Discovery HD feed that it shared w/ all the other 20+ displays.. so signal loss + probably 1080i + component feed made the LG look not so great in the store display. Which is why I want to hook up my own equipment and play some dvd's I'm familiar w/ to see what the LG really looks like since I have seen a lot of praise about it on the net.

I asked if I can bring in my laptop and bring my own video cable and hook it up to the displays to see what it will look like since I'm using it as a computer monitor 1/2 the time. Since my desktop has DVI out and can support the panels native resolution I think it will look good on my desktop computer but not sure about my laptop so I'm bringing it in to see.

I'm also going to ask if I can play a couple dvd's, and will also load up a word document (to see how text looks), load some image files, and if they have wi-fi at the store that I can connect to I'll see what normal sites I use on the internet look like and if the text and images are clear.

I really don't like how Toshiba limited both the VGA port and the Component inputs so I'll probably pick up the LG. I just want to see the image quality in person on my laptop and through their dvd player before I decide. Since my laptop only has VGA out, the VGA ports max supported resolution is important. My desktop will be through the HDMI port in native mode so that should be good.

Thanks for the input. I liked the Samsung and Sony while I was at the store but they are a bit out of the price range I wanted to spend so I think the LG is my best choice in my range. While at the store I loved the Mitsubishi LT 46161 but again it was out of my price range. They had it hooked up to an Xbox 360 premium and it was beautiful. The Panasonic TH-50PZ700U on display was also breathtaking, but out of my price range and I'm not sure about using a plasma for computer use 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aww I already ordered my set online for in-store pick up at Circuit City this morning. I don't have time to pick it up until after work so I will see if mine has the same clouding/uneven issues as yours does. From the online reviews I have seen people love the picture especially for the price point. I hope mine doesn't have any problems.

In your thread you mentioned the LG sales guy that helped you out. Was it an actual LG store? or a home theater store that is an authorized LG dealer? Somehow I think if I had the same problem as you do the Circuit City staff would just say tough luck or tell me to return it instead of actually trying to help a customer out. If it were not for the price I probably would buy from somewhere else.

This will be my 2nd HDTV. I have a Panasonic TH-42PX50U in the living room which has been great. But since I'm using it as a computer monitor 1/2 the time for a few hours a day I wanted an LCD for fear of burn in issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK after placing my order online for in store pick up during work hours. I went in store w/ my laptop after work and hooked it up to the Toshiba and the LG. The Toshiba would not have worked for me because there was several inches of unused space w/ the maximum resolution of 1024 x 768. It is like watching your computer in letter box mode or something. My laptops video card can output more than 1024 x 768, but when I bumped the resolution up to anything higher than that, the Toshiba came back w/ a message of "unsupported resolution".

It didn't look bad at 1024 x 768 in terms of clarity, but who wants to have at least 20-30% of the screen unused and it being like letterbox (but the black bars on the sides) while on your computer?

I next hooked up my laptops VGA port to the LG, I think the max on my laptop is 1280 x 1024 or something and it looked great. I told the sales guy thanks, and told him I was just checking them out before I picked it up. I showed him my online order confirmation and he walked me to customer service/pick ups and I picked up my LG 42LB5D.

When I got home I was surprised at how light such a large panel was. Its like 50 lbs. I unpacked it, hooked up up to my cable box, computer and dvd player through HDMI, my other standard def dvd player to the component inputs, and hooked up my home theater receiver. Powered it on and popped in a dvd. WoW amazing! Next I hooked up my computer at 1920 x 1080 which I am on right now. I love this LG display! Definately satisfied w/ my purchase and glad I picked it over the Toshiba. Thanks guys!!!

Also I do not notice any clouding or washed out colors or anything. I was so afraid that after lugging it home in my car (which was quite a feat since my car is not big) in the back seats, then taking it out by myself and carrying it from my garage to my room I would have issues. Thanks god it has no issues and I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tmeatwad /forum/post/0

I was able to use both in my home for a period of so many days. You can't really tell it in store so much, but the LG is WORLDS better in overall picture quality compared to the Toshiba.

In which aspect? I thought both had very nice PQ and the Toshiba was a little better in SD and both were very good on HD. This is on D*/OTA not via computer. Also, I have NEVER had luck with "Lucky Goldstar" (LG) Products...Never. So as far as QC, I did not even consider them.

The Toshiba is a good TV and I think most people have a computer with DVI out and you would get the full "1920 x 1080" image. Both are good units and I wanted to make it clear that it's not that lop-sided.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/0

LG has some problems with this series of panels. Poor blacks, no backlight control, poor off angle viewing, limited color temp, but they di give it a thumbs up for styling.

CD

If that is the case I would HATE to see the review of the Toshiba in question here, the picture quality is lower than the LG and the viewing angle is HORRID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 /forum/post/0

In which aspect? I thought both had very nice PQ and the Toshiba was a little better in SD and both were very good on HD. This is on D*/OTA not via computer. Also, I have NEVER had luck with "Lucky Goldstar" (LG) Products...Never. So as far as QC, I did not even consider them.

The Toshiba is a good TV and I think most people have a computer with DVI out and you would get the full "1920 x 1080" image. Both are good units and I wanted to make it clear that it's not that lop-sided.

True, I may have made it sound a LITTLE lop-sided, it is a decent TV overall. I was disappointed with the viewing angle, the colors were distorted more with the Toshiba, but that didn't really affect me since I always sit front and center. The Toshiba (at least the unit I used for about a week) had a pretty bad red push which wasn't present in the LG (although the LG had it's set of problems too). After going back to the LG after using the Toshiba a week it did kind of "wow" me, but by no means is it the BEST TV on the market (Samsung still tops both of these TVs).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my desktop has DVI-HDMI, my laptop does not. So when I brought it to the store and hooked it up to the Toshiba, it was pretty dissapointing that it wouldn't accept anything over 1024 x 768. It would come back w/ an error message "unsupported resolution". Also maybe it was the settings the store had, but it did not looks as crisp as the LG did.

Yeah its probably not "the best tv" but for the price I paid I really like the LG vs all the other sub $2K range displays. I was looking for something under 2 grand to use in my bedroom. I liked the Samsung 4061 and Sony XBR3 on display but they were several hundred more than this display and I didn't want to spend that much. The 50" Panasonic 1080p was also amazing but around double what I paid for my LG.

I guess I'm lucky w/ LG. I've had 3 LG cell phones that never had problems, I liked them so much when I am eligible for upgrade I always get LG. I also have a LG washer and dryer set which has been great reliability and feature wise, and a LG refrigerator. Now my new addition an LG HDTV.

Perhaps I'm not as picky, but overall I love it!

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBimM3r /forum/post/0

my desktop has DVI-HDMI, my laptop does not. So when I brought it to the store and hooked it up to the Toshiba, it was pretty dissapointing that it wouldn't accept anything over 1024 x 768. It would come back w/ an error message "unsupported resolution". Also maybe it was the settings the store had, but it did not looks as crisp as the LG did.

Having had both of these sets in my home for over a week, I can say it's not just the store settings. The Toshiba had VERY good CLEAR picture, but the cleaning was not don't very well, it was TOO clear. The noise filters were very privative (IMO) and gave the same type effect of ffdshow playback noise filters. The LG's default settings were still "pleasing" to the eye, where as I had to HEAVILY adjust the Toshiba settings before I found them acceptable (for most sources). HD Sources looked wonderful on the Toshiba, I do give it that, and the 360 picture quality was excellent at 1080i (LG does not handle 1080i as well) as it looked as good as 1080p. I'm not sure if you noticed the viewing angle on the Toshiba, the LG isn't MUCH better, as it gets a "brownish" coat to the sides, but the Toshiba image when you strayed from the center became bright and very washed out, so I wouldn't plan on putting it in a room that requires "angling" it. I think the black was a LITTLE deeper on the Toshiba, but I found the LG to be better with the rest of the color spectrum (this is personal opinion though). Another POSITIVE though is, the Toshiba had better quality control, there were fewer stuck pixels than on ANY of the LGs I had (most on all of them was not viewable from a normal viewing distance anyways, but the fewer the better right
!).

You can get VGA to HDMI boxes (just converts the signal to digital, no quality improvement, but does let you hook up 1920x1080 VGA into an HDMI port) but they cost around $150...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can agree w/ most of what you said, but I didn't have the Toshiba at home, the lack of support for anything above 1024 x 768 on the VGA port, and the capped components was the deal killer for me.

Yeah the viewing angle on the Toshiba was pretty bad, once you got out of about 30 degrees it would look extremely washed out. I also agree w/ what you said about the brownish tint on the sides on the LG at angles. Its not a huge problem for me since the configuration I have it in my bedroom is that the panel sits on an office table w/ my desktop computer, laptop computer and office chair on say North wall. My bed is at no angle from it, it is straight behind it on the other wall/south wall maybe 8' or so. Only if I'm at the dresser, master bathroom, or the closet am I at an angle from the TV so the off angle is not that bothersome but I do notice the brownish hue on the sides at an angle like you state.

Reason why VGA was important to me is that when I am burning a DVD on my desktop I usually try not to use it until the disc is done, so I jump on my laptop which only has output to the supplied 15.4" LCD panel OR VGA output. My Desktop computer has DVI out and I have it connected at 1920 x 1080 via HDMI, I have my laptop connected to the VGA port. Anyway when I am burning a DVD, I just switch the input from HDMI source (desktop) to RGB-VGA PC input (laptop) and get on my laptop. With the Toshiba 1024 x 768 left black bars on the sides of the screen, making at least 20% of the screen unused. With the LG supporting higher resolution I use more of my screen and don't get the "unsupported resolution" error message I got w/ the Toshiba when going over 1024 x 768.

Yes the store display looked great in 1080P. They had the Toshiba 42HL167 hooked up to their Toshiba HD-20A and it looked great but the capped inputs was the deal killer for me, also my PC looks a bit clearer on the LG than the toshiba. On the Toshiba there seemed to be a little fuzzyness in PC mode when I hooked it up to the store display. It could have been the factory settings though, but even if I dialed in the sharpness and everything that still wouldn't have changed the lack of support for anything above 1024 x 768 when using my lappy or any other VGA device.

blacks can't touch my Sony CRT TV nor my Toshiba CRT TV, nor my Panasonic plasma however it is good enough relative to the other colors on the screen. I just finished watching a movie on DVD and didn't think they were too bad or wish the blacks were blacker. Its my bedroom tv which I don't use as a TV too much. I'm usually on the computer, or watching morning or late night news w/ it. I usually watch movies in my living room w/ my Panasonic TH-42PX50U since I have a better home theater system and seating arrangement in my living room.

speaking of settings. I saw 2 settings in the office LG LB5D thread are there any other calibrated settings for it on this forum? Out of the box, the LG had very good colors but were a big bright for me. I played around w/ the settings on what looks good to my eye, just wondering what people w/ calibration discs and stuff have theirs set to so I can dial it in and see how it looks.

Your the second person to mention LG's quality. I hope my lucky streak continues as I've had nothing but good experience w/ the products of theirs that I own. My LG cell phone is about 2 years old, I had 2 other LG's previous to that. My LG washer and dryer are a year and a half old and we do 4-6 loads/week. Our LG refrigerator is over 2 years old and still great. I hope my LG tv continues the lucky streak. What are the LG quality issues you guys speak of, or what makes the Toshiba better. I have a Toshiba CRT TV that is maybe 4 years old that is great which is why I seriously looked at the Toshiba until I didn't like the capped inputs.

As far as TV's go does LG have a bad reliability record? If so please let me know so I can consider returning it. I do have 1 year warranty from LG, and 1 year from my AMEX credit card buyers assurance which doubles the manufacturer warranty up to 1 year. But if its prone to breaking down based on previous models/brand reliability history for their TV line I don't want to deal w/ shipping it for service or having it down. If its really bad I rather return it while I'm still on my first 30 days. Please let me know ASAP! I bought mine on May 17th, 2007. If LG is really bad and prone to problems, what brand and/or model number would you guys suggest getting that has a good picture, not too expensive (I'll go a max of $2,500 taxed), similar features and will likely be reliable?

maybe I need a program or something to find dead pixels, but when my computer desktop background is on (which is all black/no background image; except for the windows icons) I don't see any non black/stuck pixels. Nor in movies in black scenes or when its all black before the credits roll.

I also don't notice the red sparkle people talk about in the other thread. Maybe I don't know what to look for, or maybe I just got a trouble free panel. I would think I would notice different colored dead or stuck pixels.

I also ran the Jscreen fix and made the screen all black and didn't notice any different colored or stuck pixels.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBimM3r /forum/post/10563562

aww I already ordered my set online for in-store pick up at Circuit City this morning. I don't have time to pick it up until after work so I will see if mine has the same clouding/uneven issues as yours does. From the online reviews I have seen people love the picture especially for the price point. I hope mine doesn't have any problems.

In your thread you mentioned the LG sales guy that helped you out. Was it an actual LG store? or a home theater store that is an authorized LG dealer? Somehow I think if I had the same problem as you do the Circuit City staff would just say tough luck or tell me to return it instead of actually trying to help a customer out. If it were not for the price I probably would buy from somewhere else.

This will be my 2nd HDTV. I have a Panasonic TH-42PX50U in the living room which has been great. But since I'm using it as a computer monitor 1/2 the time for a few hours a day I wanted an LCD for fear of burn in issues.

Are you using a HDMI switch from computer, cable and DVD? If so what is the model # and brand? Also what port are you using from your PC to the Plasma? Is it DVI to HDMI?

This what I have so far:

-PC with 256mb DVI out put

-TH-42PX50U Plasma

-HDMI 3port Switcher (HSW0301))

-Supports high resolution up to USXGA(1600*1200)at 60Hz refresh rate,480p,720p,1080i

-Supports digital video&audio by HDMI standard 1.1 specification

-HDCP compliant

Specification:

-Frequency Bandwidth:1.65GHz(single link)

-Supports Resolution:Upto UXGA(1600*1200)#60Hz,HD signal upto 1080i

-Audio Sampling rates:Upto 24bit/192KHz

-Inputs:HDMI"A"TYPE Female 3 ports

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.