AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use this TV as my primary monitor for the PC and PS4. The question is, I can't tell for sure if I should be using high or low black level setting for the PC or PS4. If I put it on HIGH the black levels sorta become brighter than normal. I've been told to use HIGH for both but I cant be sure.

Hoping someone can guide me.

My monitor: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LD520-lcd-tv

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I would recommend setting your LG to High (0-255) and your PC and PS4 to RGB Full Range. With AMD cards, you can set the RGB Range in the AMD Vision control panel (pixel format). With Nvidia cards, you might have to do some driver tweaking.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1507902/lg-42ld520-should-i-be-u...vel-settings-for-pc-and-console#post_24122413

I would recommend setting your LG to High (0-255) and your PC and PS4 to RGB Full Range. With AMD cards, you can set the RGB Range in the AMD Vision control panel (pixel format). With Nvidia cards, you might have to do some driver tweaking.
Thanks.

I did that but for some reason the blacks seems brighter and not as deep as when its set to LOW. Do I need to compensate the brightness/blacklight when setting the black level to HIGH so the blacks dont appear as bright?

Also, why do you recommend high for this monitor? I'm just curious.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
If your display supports RGB full range then I recommend using that whenever possible with consoles/PCs because that's what they output natively. If you have a video device sharing the HDMI port, then you might want to use RGB limited.

Whether you use RGB limited or RGB full, it shouldn't look much different (if at all), IF the display was expecting the range the device was outputting. Both of these configurations are correct and should look the same for the most part:

PC/PS4: RGB Full

LG: Black Level - High

PC/PS4: RGB Limited

LG: Black Level - Low

What is your Brightness set to? With either configuration, Brightness shouldn't need to be adjusted if set properly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are my current LG settings

backlight: 45

contrastL: 63

brightness: 80

hsharpness: 40

vsharpness: 53

color: 50

tint: g5

color temp: cool

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Your Brightness is set way too high... you probably compensated for a levels mis-match. Set your PS4/PC to Full and LG to High and use a proper test pattern to set Brightness. Here's a free one that will get the job done.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

I would use the black clipping test pattern. Set Brightness so level 17 is barely distinguishable from 16 / the background.

I would also recommend using the Warm color temperature presets, but that's your call. Warm is generally closest to D65.

edit: leave all of the driver picture controls alone. in fact, un-check / disable any 'enhancements' like dynamic contrast etc., in the video tab, or set them to application preference.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Do you have a DVD burner? The AVCHD version burned to a DVDR should play in your PS4. Or you could just download the MP4 version and play the test patterns right on your PC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts