AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread I asked about my Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (LN40D630). It seems that Samsungs aren't too good for gaming (xbox 360) as they are known for input lag and what not.

I've been looking for a possible replacement and have narrowed it down to either the LG 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (42LK520) or Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (KDL40EX500). All three overall appear to have the same specs (1080p, 120hz) and are close to the same price.

I'm not looking for an amazing gaming tv but I don't want any unnessesary lag or lost picture quality. I've also heard that these tv's have faster response times which is useful (?).

Any help would be cooool.

Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
JonnyMaximus

Why not go back to you other thread there is some useful

information there

As i said there is no tv with true 120hz and ANY tv that has 120hz, 24ohz

just insert frames that's all, and you will need it turned off for gaming

competitively. (Don't listen to anyone who says different, it will add lag

so if your a hardcore gamer you turn off everything that can get in your

way)

you want little to no blur go plasma, want lcd with fast pixel response get

one with an IPS panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been educated about the 120Hz thing now lol.

But what I keep hearing is that Samsungs in general have bad input lag. I've also noticed this while playing and I have EVERYTHING turned off. So at this point I'm trying to find an alternative to my Samsung.

I dont know what an IPS panel is but you said LG's have them so does that mean the LG might be a better choice?

It seems silly to me that I would keep the Samsung and require to turn off everything just to have a smooth running game (yet still has input lag). At that point I rather just buy a tv that runs better (ie. the LG or Sony).

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/20520700

JonnyMaximus

Why not go back to you other thread there is some useful

information there

As i said there is no tv with true 120hz and ANY tv that has 120hz, 24ohz

just insert frames that's all, and you will need it turned off for gaming

competitively. (Don't listen to anyone who says different, it will add lag

so if your a hardcore gamer you turn off everything that can get in your

way)

you want little to no blur go plasma, want lcd with fast pixel response get

one with an IPS panel.

Another thing, what does getting that fast pixel response with an lcd do exactly?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Check this link use google to translate

http://www.dday.it/redazione/3298/DD...ione-2011.html

sony tvs recent ones any way have quit high input lag so aren't very good

for gaming on.

Not sure about lgs generally the higher end with 240hz even in game mode

with it off are worse than the lower end 60hz ect models.

by pixel response i mean the time it takes for the pixel to remove the last frame/image from the screen before it

shows a new frame.

Samsung and sony use pva panels and these are slower at removing the old

image than the AS-IPS panels that lg use (Panasonic use their own panels called IPS Alpha in most models).

So with a pva in dark scene you get trailing blacks (dark scenes show blur the worst) which is just the panel struggling to

remove the old image quickly enough with IPS this shouldn't happen as bad or at least as noticeable.

Ill be back tommorow to correct any mistakes its 3:50am here in the uk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So again it seems like the LG might be better. I know so little about tv's and just wish it could be written out very simply like so:

Sony: Bad

LG: Good

Samsung: Bad

But I have no clue what tv to get to enjoy a simple game. It also doesn't help that store associates give different opinions everytime you ask.

·
Registered
254 Posts
LCDs have a backlight. The actual pixel colours you see on the screen are produced by the twisting of the crystals in the panel in front of this backlight. This twisting is not instantaneous and takes some milliseconds. So pixel response time is a measure of how long it takes for a pixel to change colour in milliseconds. The lower, the better. High response time shows up as ghosting. It's most obvious with moving light objects on a dark background (eg. mouse pointer trails). Plasma screens are also susceptible to ghosting, but for a different reason. Plasma pixels have phosphor at the front of the cell. When this bit of phosphor gets hit by a UV photon, it emits a photon in the visible range (the stuff you see). However, it takes time for the phosphor to settle down and stop emitting. Hence "phosphor trails".

Input lag is the time from data being made available for the screen to display, to it actually being displayed. TVs that do a lot of video processing will have the highest lag, as they will typically buffer several frames to do analysis on them, create extra "in-between" frames i.e. the soap opera effect, upscale, sharpen or smooth the image, etc... It doesn't matter for non-interactive use, but can make crappy source appear much better than it is. For games it's a nuisance. IMHO, high-end TVs renowned for their excellent upscaling, smoothing, etc., will probably have the highest input lag. What's worse, some of the image processing may be undefeatable ie. it will still be there despite being officially turned off. AFAIK, Sony and Samsung have the best video processing.

www.digitalversus.com
www.flatpanelshd.com
www.hdtvtest.co.uk
www.avforums.com/reviews

Typically pay attention to lag figures in their reviews.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts