AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm torn here. Do I go for style or PQ? The thing is I plan on mounting on a wall and the super slim 1.2" Edge-Lit SL90 combined with the Sanus ML11 .55" mount will look like a picture frame, less than 2 inches from the wall. On the other hand, the SL90 isn't reviewed on CNET, and I can't refer to the step-down SL80 becaus its LCD and not LED like the SL90. Although, from a few rare reviews found on google, black-levels were sub-par I guess.

The 42LH90 is the best PQ for 33-42" on CNET, due to Local-Dimming LED's. HOWEVER, it's a whopping 3.7" in depth, and with the mount, adds to near 4.2" on the wall. Not exactly stylish, which I'm going for. I'm also going to game with my PS3 primarily, and LG I guess has low input lag compared to the Samsungs.

So, any suggestions on which set I should go with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me, PQ always trumps looks. I would go with the LH90 without hesitation. I have the 42 inch model myself and it has a stunning picture. As a gamer myself I consider the input lag very acceptable.

Black levels are subpar on all edge lit sets, including the SL90. Any dark scene will look cloudy, almost as if the image was colored with a tint of grey. A lot of people consider this look "normal" until they see a nice backlit LED set or plasma in action.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been very pleased with the SL90. If you are in front of the TV the black levels are fine. Once you get off axis things do get grey but I have a couch in front of my TV and any seat on the couch the picture quality is uniform.

There's no doubt that the LH90 has better blacks but the SL90 has good PQ. I primarily game on my SL90 and have not noticed any input lag either.

P.S. the SL90 seems very heavy to me (I have the 47" version). I think it's heavier than competing slim TVs because of the large glass pane on the front. Make sure you bolt it to the wall securely!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for your reply. If possible, could you post or PM me some pictures of your unit, particularly from the slim side of the unit. Also, if you have it wall-mounted, a pic would be great, as I plan on wall-mounting my tv.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have it wall mounted (I wanted to but it's a lot of hassle and I live in an apartment not my own home) but I do have it backed up against the wall as close as it can go with the stand. I don't have any side pics but here are a couple:

If you're wall mounting, one consideration you will need to factor in is the ports. They do not point straight down like the Samsungs, they point straight back. So you will need to leave a little clearance for that, and/or get 90-degree port adapters or those little leader cables. There is a side HDMI port (and a USB) but the clearance is very narrow, and it is not likely a good quality HDMI cable will plug directly into it (the port sits very close to a surface so a thick connector will not be able to get "low" enough to the port). Again maybe one of those leader cables will be necessary.

The other thing is that the HDMI ports on the back are stacked vertically, so if you use 90 degree converters, you can only really use 2 of them, one pointing down and the other pointing up, before you start to run into interference problems. Just something to consider.

It was kind of a bummer for me that way because I think the downward facing port design and wall hanging mechanism of the Samsung is pretty smart, but I really wanted an IPS display because colors are important to me- and I wasn't going to wall hang it anyway. I too game a lot on the TV and so I was also scared away by the reportedly high input lag on the Samsung sets.

Otherwise if you can get the cables worked out, this TV would look killer hanging from the wall
. If I ever get to a more permanent living situation I want to do the same to mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear All,

I'm suffering of high noise problems from the 42SL90 I have. LG in my region does not help me well, as they have replaced my speakes twice and the issue still exist.

So can any one send me an address or contacts of LG worldwide complaint ?? As I can't find it at all..

Your help is so much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts