AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

First post here so I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, so redirect me first if needed.

I just got this panel this weekend, and now I have connected it up to my HTPC with a DVI to HDMI cable. Graphics card is a Club 3D x1650pro.

I simply cannot get this LG-panel to use it's full potential. It talks to the graphics card. All the right figures are on the computer (Win XP pro btw). But the panel will consequently display a 1920x1080 60 Hz output slightly shrinked. It has a black border of 13 pixels on each side and 3 pixels at top and bottom. Which means the picture doesn't look that nice when displaying text for example.

Connecting with VGA/RGB doesn't improve anything more that to show that DVI to HDMI is the way to go, if I can get it displaying properly.

I'll happily get another graphics card if it solves the issue. Powerstrip does nothing. I can shift the image slightly to one side or another. I can line it up to the bottom. But the proportions of black bars remain constant (ie, if lined up at bottom, 6 black pixels at the top). But then again, I suck at doing adjustments with powerstrip. I cannot set the vertical and horisontal specified by the Panels manual for 1920x1080 as powerstrip auto-changes the horisontal if I change the vertical, frustrating. But all evidence so far only shows the panel will do something that prevents a computer from using this panel fully.

Now, The x1650pro does have component out but supports only 1080i on it. The x1950pro support 1080p on the component out, but even if that works, I'm probably going to get in trouble once I try and play HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray material from the htpc in the future. Will it help to get a graphics card with a HDMI-output even?

As I said. Suggestions welcome. Solutions even more so...

Best Regards

Bo Eriksson

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like the video BIOS on the graphic card is not timed quite right. It is not a big deal to live with it as is, and probably impossible to get the card mfg to retime the card. I have heard that many graphic card do NOT have the correct drivers to handle 1920x1080 through a PC.

DB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I should just go out and try something different, preferably with a HDMI out which should point in the direction that they got the timing-issue dealt with?

I'm thinking about this:

MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus. I had the url there but I wasn't allowed...

What do you think?

Best Regards

Bo Eriksson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPanda /forum/post/0

Can't help with the card issue (sorry), but I was just wondering how you like that set? The 47 is one of the new 1080P sets, and it should be quite nice.

I cannot give a fair review yet. As the main playing capability for this screen will be the troubling HTPC. I also got a HDTV Sat-card in it (DVB-S2), so it is supposed to provide all HD-material to the screen.

All that I have done so far in viewing has been through my old Sat-reciever, and although I connect with Scart-RGB this panel really shows that recievers limits (rather than the other way around
). I have also watched some DVD's on my Cambridge Audio DVD-player (DVD89 I think it's called), and only tried the DVD-players built-in 1080i upconversion. And that looked nice, real nice.

I also haven't felt the need to do any major adjustments from defaults. Colour-balance is sensibly set and brightness also. Contrast was maxed though, but I can't really blame them for that.

Blackness... The eternal weak point. Yes, it is the weak point here too. But you only really react anything on it when there's black bars and really dark scenes. All the colour-details seems to be there though, it's just that black really isn't black, as always with LCD. This however is totally redeemed by the highlights. Really bright display, and with details. Never really seen anything like it before, well on par maybe, but not better.

The so called intelligent eye actually works. I don't know if I like it though. It doesn't quite adjust as I would have.

About the black thing. I would have liked the option to dim down the lightsources in this display. Brightness-controls does not seem to work that way, but it would have been a brilliant way to deepen blackness for those who whish and just sacrificing a little highlight-power.

But I do like it. I just hope this sync-issue really is due to the graphics card, and not the Display. It's a key thing for me. The HTPC will do everything for this display.

When I have sorted things out I will return to a new thread with a more detailed report, and judging from a full resolution viewing without slight scaling artefacts as it is showing now (I'm writing this in my armchair at viewing distance from the screen. With rather big font-settings it works well despite the scaling artefacts).

Anyways, still. Any suggestions, from anybody who has tested, about what graphics card is a safe bet (withing reasonable cost, x1650pro cost was perfect for me, but I could stretch to the card mentioned earlier). But that will defenitly be the last investment I can afford for quite a while...

Edit: Forgot about the speakers. They won't do much work for me, but they are decent enough as TV-speakers go. But for me they only is good for the occasional news-watching morning-tv type of thing. To a 47" display you better have a decent surround-system setup, otherwise it would be a shame.

I also forgot about the foot. I decided to mount it on the wall at a distance, hanging over my sub and inline with the front of my midchannel (which sits on my sub, which is rather huge), and removing the foot was troublesome because the manual describes attaching and removing of three different types of foot, but not the swivel-version for the top-end model in the programme...
If anyone ever have problems with that, I now know how to get rid of it after a phone call to LG support and getting a picture of the thing in the mail from them. That picture should just have been shipped with the product in the first place.

Best Regards

Bo Eriksson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the MSI-card with HDMI out. Problem gone... Now I have to figure out why the system freezes every single time after watching any video-file of any type in any player. It did that with both graphics-cards too... OTOH, I'm gonna reinstall with Vista MCE soon... probably. This is a very old install that has gone through at least three total system-overhauls. It is very cluttered...

Best Regards

Bo Eriksson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.