AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've just purchased my first HDTV and I'm not sure if I've made the right choice. Do forgive the noobite-type questions/comments.

The TV will mainly be used for Xbox 360 gaming (plus some PS2 and GameCube) and watching content from the USB slot. I'll also use it to watch football (soccer). I don't own a Blu-Ray player but might in the future, I don't know.

As watching content from the USB slot is such a big factor, I tried out many TVs on offer using sample MKV, AVI and MP4 files. I was actually shocked at the poor quality displayed on some of the TVs, especially some of the newer ones. The samples I was using were high quality (1080p, 720p) albeit samples I found on some website.

I've just bought an LG 47LD750: 47 LCD, Full HD, 80,000:1, 200hz, 2.2ms. When I tried the various sample files on my USB stick I was very impressed with the quality shown on the TV. The fact the TV wasn't 50hz was also a plus for the Xbox 360 gaming I'll be doing.

When purchasing the TV, I came across another one, the LG 47LE5300: 47 LED LCD, 3,000,000:1, 100hz, 2.4ms. The price was basically the same as the LCD. I was immediately attracted to the look of the TV as well as the fact it is an LED LCD. However, when I was trying the sample files from the USB, the quality on the 47LD750 was quite a bit better I thought. The image appeared less sharp' and blurry' I guess on the LED.

My dilemma is that I wonder if the LED could be better tuned so to speak to show the content from USB on screen like the LCD did. I tried various settings but couldn't get it to match. Are some LEDs not that great when playing content from a USB device?

Should I have purchased the LED instead? Is it worth it? What about the difference in colour ratio? Is having the 200hz on the LCD worth it for what I will use the TV for or will the 100hz on the LED be ample for my requirements?

The TV was delivered today and if I want to exchange it I can't take it out of the box so would appreciate any feedback offered.

Many thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I thinnk you made an excellent choice many user's have had blooming or flashlighting problems with LED backlit LCD.

Also SD content will never look as good on a HD resolution TV as on a SD resolution moel, some HD makes/models do have better algorithims for inventing the content of the additional pixels required for the upscaling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.