AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been doing quite a bit of research on LCD HDTVs over the last couple months or so. This will be my first HDTV purchase, and I'm a little worried about it. Obviously, I don't buy TVs very much if I'm just now getting an LCD, so I'd like to confirm that my choice is a good one for my budget.

My biggest reason for upgrading from my 32" RCA tube is for gaming. Specifically, small amounts of text in Street Fighter IV or BlazBlue are virtually unreadable on my tube because they appear garbled. Now that games are being made in high def, I'd like to enjoy the experience more (not to mention, games like BlazBlue are displayed in "widescreen" on a tube TV...bleh).

My biggest worry is that I"m going from a tube to an LCD...and will encounter input lag. Practically all the games I play are "twitch reaction" type games. Fighting games and first person shooters a la Call Of Duty/Halo.

It sucks that manufacturers don't actually post their set's input lag, as that would make it a lot easier for gamers such as myself to make an educated purchase. To make things more difficult, I've found that some higher end TVs actually have more input lag then lower cost TVs...so it seems like the age old "you get what you pay for" isn't exactly true in this case.

Specifically, I've been looking at the LG 47LH40. Comparing it to the like model Samsung & Sony TVs, I couldn't tell a difference in picture quality...but the LG is almost $400 cheaper around here.

I read that the 32LH30 had around 2 frames of input lag, but how do the LH40 series differ? I can't seem to find a universal answer about how well this specific (47LH40) TV performs with online gaming and input lag.

OR, are there any other suggestions for similar TVs you'd recommend? I'm trying to stay between 42-47 for screen size and with a budget of 1200-1500.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I already did a search on the site and didn't find any conclusive answers for this set in regard to input lag. Did a google search as well and that didn't yield anything either.

I talked to a few TV shops today, and some of them also suggested looking into plasma TVs if the input lag is that much of a concern to me. Any insight on going plasma as opposed to LCD for gaming?

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanssen83 /forum/post/16927148

BTW, I already did a search on the site and didn't find any conclusive answers for this set in regard to input lag. Did a google search as well and that didn't yield anything either.

I talked to a few TV shops today, and some of them also suggested looking into plasma TVs if the input lag is that much of a concern to me. Any insight on going plasma as opposed to LCD for gaming?

i dont have an xbox 360 nor the model you are asking about.. lol

with that said.. i have a ps3 with the 47lg70 and i havent seen any lag issues at all. but i have only played gta4 and uncharted.. i have not played online.. i know the panels for the h series of the lg are supposed to be down to 2.7ms refresh rate.. now i dont know what this has to do with lag...

Screen Size 47" (46.9" Diagonal)

Native Display Resolution 1920 x 1080

Full HD Yes

Brightness 500 cd/m2

Smooth Motion Technology Yes

Dynamic Contrast Ratio 70,000:1

Viewing Angle 178º / 178º

Color Reproduction 10 Bit

Response Time 2.7ms

TruMotion 120Hz

True Viewing Angle Yes

Typical Life Span 60,000 hr

Built-In Tuner Yes (ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM )

HDMI/HDCP Input 4

i believe the color reproduction refers to the 10bit panel they are using now which is a very nice picture compared to the other panels out there... i have seen a couple in showrooms...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 /forum/post/16927222

i dont have an xbox 360 nor the model you are asking about.. lol

with that said.. i have a ps3 with the 47lg70 and i havent seen any lag issues at all. but i have only played gta4 and uncharted.. i have not played online.. i know the panels for the h series of the lg are supposed to be down to 2.7ms refresh rate.. now i dont know what this has to do with lag...

Screen Size 47" (46.9" Diagonal)

Native Display Resolution 1920 x 1080

Full HD Yes

Brightness 500 cd/m2

Smooth Motion Technology Yes

Dynamic Contrast Ratio 70,000:1

Viewing Angle 178º / 178º

Color Reproduction 10 Bit

Response Time 2.7ms

TruMotion 120Hz

True Viewing Angle Yes

Typical Life Span 60,000 hr

Built-In Tuner Yes (ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM )

HDMI/HDCP Input 4

i believe the color reproduction refers to the 10bit panel they are using now which is a very nice picture compared to the other panels out there... i have seen a couple in showrooms...

Well the lag in particular is "input lag". It's basically the amount of time it takes your character on screen to perform the action you inputted using your gaming controller.

It's measured in frames/milliseconds, but is different from the 2.7ms response time you mentioned. The 2.7ms response deals with how the TV catches up to quick moving pictures to smooth them out on screen.

Input lag is an entirely different beast. It's typically most important for fighting games. Street Fighter IV (for example) has some specific combos that require you to execute precise moves within a mere 2-4 frames (some more and some less).

So...if a TV has 3 frames of input lag (for example), you can see how that would easily ruin any experience with Street Fighter IV you can have.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanssen83 /forum/post/16927335

Well the lag in particular is "input lag". It's basically the amount of time it takes your character on screen to perform the action you inputted using your gaming controller.

It's measured in frames/milliseconds, but is different from the 2.7ms response time you mentioned. The 2.7ms response deals with how the TV catches up to quick moving pictures to smooth them out on screen.

Input lag is an entirely different beast. It's typically most important for fighting games. Street Fighter IV (for example) has some specific combos that require you to execute precise moves within a mere 2-4 frames (some more and some less).

So...if a TV has 3 frames of input lag (for example), you can see how that would easily ruin any experience with Street Fighter IV you can have.

good bit of info to know.. what is responsible for the input lag then?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've been doing more research, and found the LG thread that KVW (I think that's his name) made. Sounds like the way to go is actually with the LH30 vs the LH40? An entire frame difference (LH40) WOULD be a pretty big deal to me.

Even though the LH30 is 60hz compared to the LH40's 120hz, I'm getting a TV primarily for gaming...so the smaller amount of input lag in the LH30 sounds like it'll be my choice LCD.

·
Banned
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanssen83 /forum/post/16928501

So I've been doing more research, and found the LG thread that KVW (I think that's his name) made. Sounds like the way to go is actually with the LH30 vs the LH40? An entire frame difference (LH40) WOULD be a pretty big deal to me.

Even though the LH30 is 60hz compared to the LH40's 120hz, I'm getting a TV primarily for gaming...so the smaller amount of input lag in the LH30 sounds like it'll be my choice LCD.
LH30 60Hz better than LH40 120hz? then u save $400 on LH30 instead of getting the LH40

LG 47LH40 $1399
http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LH40-47-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001VKYAKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1249227613&sr=1-1

LG 47LH30 $999.95
http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LH30-47-Inch-1080p-Gloss/dp/tech-data/B001V5J7NO/ref=de_a_smtd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts