AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought an LG 50PG20 and couldn't find much info on how to access the Service Menu on this particular model. I tried various suggestions for other LG models and after much fiddling around, I finally came up with a procedure which gets me in every time.

Here it is.

With the TV turned on (dah!):\t

- press and hold down the Menu button on the TV itself. The normal menu will appear.\t

- without releasing the TV Menu button, press and hold the Menu button on the remote.\t

- after a few seconds, you will be prompted for a password. You may now release both Menu buttons.\t

The password is 0000 (four zeros). Enter it and service menu should appear.\t

There seem to be two different service menus, which alternate every time you get in. I'll call them A and B. If you get menu A and what you want is menu B or vice versa, just exit the service menu and enter it again.\t

To exit the service menu at any time, just press the Menu key.

I went through pretty much all options and wrote them down in an Excel spreadsheet, which I'm attaching (inside a zip file). I hope it helps.

Cheers.

LG 50 PG20 service menu.zip 5.75390625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroman /forum/post/14330196

Hi all,

I just bought an LG 50PG20 and couldn't find much info on how to access the Service Menu on this particular model. I tried various suggestions for other LG models and after much fiddling around, I finally came up with a procedure which gets me in every time.

Here it is.

With the TV turned on (dah!):

- press and hold down the Menu button on the TV itself. The normal menu will appear.

- without releasing the TV Menu button, press and hold the Menu button on the remote.

- after a few seconds, you will be prompted for a password. You may now release both Menu buttons.

The password is 0000 (four zeros). Enter it and service menu should appear.

There seem to be two different service menus, which alternate every time you get in. I'll call them A and B. If you get menu A and what you want is menu B or vice versa, just exit the service menu and enter it again.

To exit the service menu at any time, just press the Menu key.

I went through pretty much all options and wrote them down in an Excel spreadsheet, which I'm attaching (inside a zip file). I hope it helps.

Cheers.

Thanks for sharing...have you, perchance, found a means of determining how many hours the panel has been in use?

I looked through your spreadsheet and didn't see any such info.

thanks,

rwr

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for that. Might come in handy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can a good Samaritan please post the default value for Gamma from the service menu? It's under menu item 8: Module Control.

I think I accidentally modified mine, and now changing Gamma from the regular menu has no effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, of course. You cannot reduce the black level of a plasma beyond the residual "precharge glow", even if you cut the brightness and contrast to 0. Maybe if you open the unit and find a way to tweak the precharge voltage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got into the service menu last night and I dialed the Panel brightness back to around 40%.

The Image is now much more pleasing to my eyes.

And yes Blacks do look much better to me now.

I Was able to watch "Star Wars ep 4" last night with all the lights out.

The entire image appears more balanced now .

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm clearly missing something, which is not unusual...

But, why use the service menu to adjust brightness when you have a user brightness setting?

Also, if you are just trying to dim the panel a bit, why not use the power saving modes and save some juice while you are at it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here are some service menu tweaks that I found to be useful.

In what I call "Menu A", you can set the CHANNEL MUTE to OFF to speed up changing channels (it disables the 1-second black screen between channels). This comes at the expense of some picture instability while the tuner settles to the new channel. Your choice.

In "Menu B", you can use the W/B ADJUST option to change the color temperature of the three White Balance choices: Cool, Medium and Warm. On my set, I tend to use Medium for most TV watching, as I find Cool too cool and Warm too warm... The factory setting was not very "medium" at all, though. It was much closer to Cool than to Warm, and also added a bit of a greenish tinge to the picture that was missing from the Cool and Warm presets. You can see that clearly in my Excel spreadsheet if you look at the RGB Gain values for Medium W/B.

I tweaked it the Medium W/B by setting the Green and Blue values to the average of their Cool and Warm settings. Much better now!

That's about it. The other service menu options are not terribly useful for the end user, I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.. I Entered the Service Menu.. but i have a problem... Mi Input options reduced from TV AV1 AV 2 COMPONENT 1 COMPONENT 2 RGBPC HDMI1 and HDMI 2 to TV COMPONENT 1 COMPONENT 2 RGBPC... Mi HMDI imputs are gone... how can i solve it? some help please...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts