AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey  guys,

So I bought this Plasma TV a few years ago, has worked great up till this summer and even more recently the issue has become a major problem.  At first it was a rare thing to see and when I did see it, t was for seconds only.  Now, I keep getting this message that appears on the TV and seems to stay on the screen for nearly a minute before it flashes off, but soon returns again.  Continuing to do this so long as the TV is now on.  I am no longer able to watch movies or play any games on my TV because this message continues to flash over and over again.  I've never plugged anything into the AV2 ports, nor ever needed to but it continues to say that a new device HAS been connected.  Extremely frustrating.

I contacted LG today, I'm out of the warranty so the have this plan that you can sign up to cover the repair costs and they want me to drop $300 right away so I can have a tech come out, look at it and attempt to repair the issue.  Thats 1/3 of what I paid for the tv!

If anyone has any idea's what needs to be done, PLEASE let me know.  

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Anyone have any idea's?  I see there is a HUGE thread on this brand of TV so I'm hoping someone from there might have an idea what needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't know if this will be of ANY help at all, but I recently saw a thread in the LCD forum for a particular series of LGs that I believe is about the same age as these LG plasmas.

In that case, those TVs have some sort of wired remote control jack. Users were reporting that after a while their wireless remotes quit working from one day to the next. An enterprising user found out that the wired remote control jack would get corrosion or oxidation inside and the TV would then be tricked into thinking something was plugged into it. Since that one was a headphone-like jack some people solved by just running a headphone connector in and out a few times and others used other solutions to clean it out. Then their remotes worked again.

If it can happen on that type of jack, I don't see why it can't happen on others, particularly if it has something to do with the type of metal LG used at some point in time.

Longshot, but perhaps it will get you somewhere. Obviously, the TV thinks something has been connected to AV2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had this problem on an LG Plasma and researched for hours to no avail. No real solution seemed to exist. Even started looking at their source code to disable it.. I stumbled on a reference to cleaning the inputs for some other problem, which I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of considering the symptoms. All I did was unplug the TV, cleaned the inputs, plugged it back in the next day to let the alcohol evaporate (I read a book in the mean time). I haven't had a popup in 3+ months, when it was constant before. At the least it's worth a try.

Materials: 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol (most groceries have it, but electronics cleaner can be 99+%), RCA or Component Cables.
1. Unplug TV.
2. Fill shot glass with isopropyl alcohol (just need some small container, no need to waste)
3. Dip one cable end (the metal parts) into the alcohol, plug in and out while rotating a handful of times
4. Repeat Step 3 a few times per individual input jack (every single RCA or Component jacks, even ones that you don't have issues with)
5. Let sit for 6 hours at least, I did 24 for no particular reason
6. Blow in the jacks just because
7. Plug TV back in and hope for the best.

Someone may have a better cleaning method, but this is what I had, and just to see if it made a difference. After all my frustration a simple cleaning did the trick. I'd be willing to bet more than a few input boards were replaced when a simple cleaning may have worked.

I just registered here to post this in the hopes it helps some other poor frustrated soul who just wants that annoying popup gone for good. This thread came up in the Google search, which is why I revived it. I hope it works for everyone, but it may not. Cheers, good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had this problem on an LG Plasma and researched for hours to no avail. No real solution seemed to exist. Even started looking at their source code to disable it.. I stumbled on a reference to cleaning the inputs for some other problem, which I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of considering the symptoms. All I did was unplug the TV, cleaned the inputs, plugged it back in the next day to let the alcohol evaporate (I read a book in the mean time). I haven't had a popup in 3+ months, when it was constant before. At the least it's worth a try.

Materials: 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol (most groceries have it, but electronics cleaner can be 99+%), RCA or Component Cables.
1. Unplug TV.
2. Fill shot glass with isopropyl alcohol (just need some small container, no need to waste)
3. Dip one cable end (the metal parts) into the alcohol, plug in and out while rotating a handful of times
4. Repeat Step 3 a few times per individual input jack (every single RCA or Component jacks, even ones that you don't have issues with)
5. Let sit for 6 hours at least, I did 24 for no particular reason
6. Blow in the jacks just because
7. Plug TV back in and hope for the best.

Someone may have a better cleaning method, but this is what I had, and just to see if it made a difference. After all my frustration a simple cleaning did the trick. I'd be willing to bet more than a few input boards were replaced when a simple cleaning may have worked.

I just registered here to post this in the hopes it helps some other poor frustrated soul who just wants that annoying popup gone for good. This thread came up in the Google search, which is why I revived it. I hope it works for everyone, but it may not. Cheers, good luck.
I have a LG Plasma TV model 50pk550 apparently (according to the LG support service) manufactured in 2010, that had the same problem with the message flashing up.
I used the method of cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and it seems to have worked great. Thank you Od4d for the tip.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts