AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have had this LG 50PS8000 for a couple of months now. I have been very careful not to display ANY logos, I dont even have cable or anything.

After a couple of days I started noticing a faint shape that looks like a lightbulb or hot air balloon or something.

Can you see it?

I have been playing alot of games on it lately, but I have noticed not a single IR or burn in from any hud. Ive been so careful.

Every time I have played games on it, it has been call of duty modern warfare 2 wich has a handy feature to over or underscan the huds (move it around the screen).

During the 10min matches I ran the orbit function, but between each 10min there is 1minute breaks in wich I have been running color wash.

You can see some IR in this photo from cod modern warfare 2 after hours of play, but even that went away completely after a while.

What worries me is the huge shape in the middle of the screen that almost goes from top to bottom. Shapet like a ballon or light bulb. Is this burn in? and what on earth could cause this?

I have been so careful, and no static image has ever been displayed on this while in my house. Except for the HUD IR in Modern Warfare 2, but that goes away fast.

This problem is bad, because Ive even started noticing this during movies in semi-dark scenes. It has been there for weeks now, and I notice it more and more. I cant understand what is causing this. It is on rgb-pc cables, hdmi and also movies running from usb-thumbdrive

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 42pq10, over 100 hours now and no IR or burn-in, that image is odd indeed. I play a lot of movies that feature the black bars, and hours of MW2, and nothing on my end.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks more like a coating used on the screen is not uniform, does not really look like burn in to me. The pioneer plasmas have had blotching, which is similar to this. Can you see it while an image is on the screen? If not, probably not too much to worry about, if so, then I would look into checking with the manufacturer, I would consider it a defect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see it during movies, yes. Its visible from any angle, and stays the same. Its not going away at all! Its not visible when the tv is OFF, thats why I suspected it is not a issue of the glass surface is on.

Its most visible when the tv displays a full black image, but also clearly visible in darker scenes. 30 days of night is horrible too watch because of this problem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangprice /forum/post/18170282

I have a 42pq10, over 100 hours now and no IR or burn-in, that image is odd indeed. I play a lot of movies that feature the black bars, and hours of MW2, and nothing on my end.

Sounds about right. I like the feature of MW2 on ps3 that lets you move the HUD both horizontaly and vertically.

I forgot to say guys, I really really cranked up the contrast (on the jpg in photoshop) in this image to make the problem as visible as possible.

That might be why it looks so dramatic, but its definately there and not acceptable by my standards. Its right in the middle of all the action

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My worst nightmares seems to be coming true.

Offcourse LG is saying this is burn in, nothing I can do about it except try color wash.

My pleed to LG, was that they must realize how unusual type of burn in this is, and that I obviously know more than the avarage consumers about the dangers of plasma burn in.

Still I got the same generic reply!

Please guys, give me some good advice here!

There is no way in hell I can prove that I didnt cause this myself! I just know this so damn well, I was so freakin careful!

If anything, what should have caused burn-in was my call of duty modern warfare 2 sessions.

I have no kids, no little brothers, no drunk mates that fiddle with my settings.. BAH! Im so frustrated

I bet most of you know how it is like to slowly start realising something is wrong after you have bought something new. I think this has been there from day one, I just slowly started noticing after awhile and hoped it would go away.

Do you guys believe me? I wont be offended if you dont, because I realize this is a pretty impossible battle for me.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namielus /forum/post/18203744

My worst nightmares seems to be coming true.

Offcourse LG is saying this is burn in, nothing I can do about it except try color wash.

My pleed to LG, was that they must realize how unusual type of burn in this is, and that I obviously know more than the avarage consumers about the dangers of plasma burn in.

Still I got the same generic reply!

Please guys, give me some good advice here!

There is no way in hell I can prove that I didnt cause this myself! I just know this so damn well, I was so freakin careful!

If anything, what should have caused burn-in was my call of duty modern warfare 2 sessions.

I have no kids, no little brothers, no drunk mates that fiddle with my settings.. BAH! Im so frustrated

I bet most of you know how it is like to slowly start realising something is wrong after you have bought something new. I think this has been there from day one, I just slowly started noticing after awhile and hoped it would go away.

Do you guys believe me? I wont be offended if you dont, because I realize this is a pretty impossible battle for me.

Definitely not BI; I agree it looks like uneven AR coating or perhaps something else; have you cleaned or wiped the screen? edit: OK I see that it is behind the screen, so it seems odd to me...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me, its the pixels themselves that show this issue.

It dissappears when the tv is off.

Is there anyway to test your theory?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I 'll give it a shot. I hope it helps, but it just doesn't look like burn-in to me. I have a PS80 also and had a Pioneer 4214. What I did and still do when I leave something on the screen too long, is go to snow. It works way better and way faster than any orbiter or whitewash. Find a channel with snow and leave it on for a half hour with NO energy saver's on. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I have been researching every single source ever displayed on my plasma. Nothing comes close to this shape.

But! I discovered something.. When you have a slideshow from images, theres a transition effect.

It seems like the shape of this transition effect might result in this "burn in".

Its sliding in from left and right alternating, and have about the shape as in the image I attached to the original post. I havent been able to photograph it for a detailed study.

I originally selected thousands of HD images to run on the tv, to break it in.

Well I also used the included color wash, and regular HD videos too, but I wanted some variation.

the images:

Lots of them just pure white, gray etc. But others was full photos with varying colors. All very different. I didnt, at all,worry about it since they were changing so fast and they were so different no risk of burning from the actual images.

But if the transition effects themself really create this pattern over time, I consider this a bad design that is not my fault/not mentioned in the manual and I will expect a full refund.

Also, it seems like the settings for contrast, brightness, blacklevel etc. does NOT apply to the thumbdrive usb. This is not mentioned in the manual either.

I will research the shapes and transition effects later on, and also try to confirm what picture settings apply to the usb thumbrive mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts