AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1541 - 1560 of 3002 Posts

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
I haven't actually noticed it when watching movies. The only time I've noticed it is when I'm going through menus on my htpc. When one of the menu screens becomes significantly brighter, I can hear the pitch and volume of the noise go up. I can hear it from 6 ft away if the room is quiet. From directly behind the tv, I can hear some level of noise all the time. It actually sounds like a small pc fan.

I have 14 days to return it so I think on Sunday I'll go down to Best Buy and see if I can notice the same noise on the display model. At this point, I think it's something I could live with but if other models don't exhibit this behavior, I'll probably just exchange it.

edit: I'm 32 so I still have some hearing left.
Just remember in the much larger (and noisier) area of BB, or even Magnolia, sounds like this will generally be more dampened than in your home. So you may think the BB sample has less noise, when in reality, it may not.

·
Registered
484 Posts
What is ABL?
Automatic brightness limiter as previously mentioned, but after weeks of ownership I now consider this to be a non issue. It may of happened that one time due to a power save feature being turned on at the time. I haven't noticed it again. I still consider this TV to be a must buy, no buyers remorse whatsoever on my part.

I still don't have my two 8800's mounted so I haven't gotten to compare them as much as I'd like. We are only mounting one of them with the picture frame in the kids room, the second one we are using in our second living room on a Z-Line stand that has a mount built in. The way the speaker frame is mounted on the 8800 there would be no way to easily mount this on a stand that has a built in mount as the picture frame doesn't use VESA. We decided to just not use the picture frame and use it with a 5.1 speaker setup. I still think the 8800 is the better buy of the two, but I've spent far less time with the 8800 since it's currently just laying against a wall plugged in for testing purposes. I hope to have them installed this weekend so I'll be able to do a more thorough comparison.

As I previously mentioned one of my 8800s does have the yellow push issue on the sides, not sure about the second one since it's still sealed in the box. My 9300 doesn't have that issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
After watching a few movies I can say this. Haven't noticed IR afterwards or the ABL kicking in. In truemotion have had both dejudder and blur set to 0 and I haven't noticed any motion issues apart from what is expected with 24fps content. And despite being against 3D, it looks very good despite half the resolution. And There's no way to tell were the black ends and where the edge of the TV starts in a dark room, the picture basically appear to "hang" in thin air if it hadn't been for the reflection of the stand ruining the illusion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
After watching a few movies I can say this. Haven't noticed IR afterwards or the ABL kicking in. In truemotion have had both dejudder and blur set to 0 and I haven't noticed any motion issues apart from what is expected with 24fps content. And despite being against 3D, it looks very good despite half the resolution. And There's no way to tell were the black ends and where the edge of the TV starts in a dark room, the picture basically appear to "hang" in thin air if it hadn't been for the reflection of the stand ruining the illusion.
I have a non reflective flat black cloth covering the stand base for that very reason!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Marty, I would have expected nothing less from you. :)
Thanks fellas! I spent almost an entire afternoon "De-glaring" my room last week. It has paid off as nothing shines in my eye except what's on the screen itself. When the screen on the 9300 goes black, I am in a virtually blackout. I even made a little flap I drop down over my DVR display to cover the lights there and use it whenever the Oppo comes on for Movies/TV Shows from my own collection. ;)

·
Registered
772 Posts
OLED gives vibrant rich colours , better than plasma
I'm a bit confused by this (and I've noticed this said about OLEDs in general). Assuming that we are all calibrating our displays to rec709, how does a well calibrated OLED have any "richer" or more "vibrant" colors than a well calibrated Plasma, where both track rec 709 specs well to 100% primary/secondary color saturations?

Perhaps it is just the better contrast ratio of OLED tricking the eye into better perceived vibrancy or richer colors?

I have an OLED display on my phone, and while it is vibrant and rich in colors, it is also quite inaccurate with colors as a result. I would think that there should not be much difference in colors between two well calibrated sets, irrespective of the underlying technology?

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
Thanks fellas! I spent almost an entire afternoon "De-glaring" my room last week. It has paid off as nothing shines in my eye except what's on the screen itself. When the screen on the 9300 goes black, I am in a virtually blackout. I even made a little flap I drop down over my DVR display to cover the lights there and use it whenever the Oppo comes on for Movies/TV Shows from my own collection. ;)
I hope you never have a power failure, you'll never find your way out of the room. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a bit confused by this (and I've noticed this said about OLEDs in general). Assuming that we are all calibrating our displays to rec709, how does a well calibrated OLED have any "richer" or more "vibrant" colors than a well calibrated Plasma, where both track rec 709 specs well to 100% primary/secondary color saturations?
Color actually isn't a surface (in the cie diagram), it's a volume with height signifying luminance.
The Rec. 709 primary triangle is just a cross section at a particular brightness level.
High black levels means that the volume is significantly narrower in darker colors.

from the Sony OLED manual:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Color actually isn't a surface (in the cie diagram), it's a volume with height signifying luminance.
The Rec. 709 primary triangle is just a cross section at a particular brightness level.
High black levels means that the volume is significantly narrower in darker colors.

from the Sony OLED manual:

Thanks Matthias. I get what you are saying, but doesn't that benefit primarily impact perception of color/grayscale at close to black levels? I'd imagine that perception at high luminance (assuming you are shooting for ~35ftL for black/dark room viewing) should be similar. I certainly get the benefits of OLED, especially in terms of black levels and overall contrast ratio, but I would think that the improved black detail and color accuracy at very low levels is not something I would attribute to improved vibrance or richer colors?

Edit - Sorry, just noticed that you included an image. It seems to be blocked for me at the moment. Will check it later.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks Matthias. I get what you are saying, but doesn't that benefit primarily impact perception of color/grayscale at close to black levels?
Yes, that's about it. It means that dark and/or saturated color tones on LCD look desaturated and tinted (can't be fixed with calibration)
I'd imagine that perception at high luminance (assuming you are shooting for ~35ftL for black/dark room viewing) should be similar.
Low saturated color tones with high brightness levels would be unaffected, yes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
FULLY remastered Sopranos on BD is incredible!

Today I received my Soprano's Blu Ray Box Set from Amazon UK. HBO went all out and remastered it all, even the first problematic season.

The 9300 positively SHINES on this material, providing large depth in all the darker scenes, clarity and pop with eye popping colors. The Sopranos has always looked a bit anemic on home video but now with a maxed out bitrate and the extremely excellent rendering from the 9300, it is mind boggling.

This is a great set of discs that show off just what infinite contrast REALLY means. The composition of the shots, with layers and layers of shadows and light are reproduced with near perfection by the LG. This is why I wanted this TV. This is what makes me feel I got my moneys worth out of every dollar spent!

I pity the poor Sopranos fan who must watch this on an LCD. They have no idea what they are missing for the most part. If you have any 2nd thoughts regarding your purchase of this television, just pop in the newly remastered Soprano BD discs and see what it is you truly have here! Amazing...... I am floored....... :grin:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes, I'm familiar with MURA. I would have hoped that LG would have been able to address this issue by their second generation, but it appears not...

Let's wait to see how the 4K TVs perform (in this area as well as others - if nothing else, SDE should be improved :)
I was one of the ones who brought up the visible aliasing (SDE, wasn't aware of this term but looked it up and indeed that is what I was referring to). I didn't see anyone else bring it up so I thought it was just something everyone accepted.

I think the exceptional contrast is what actually causes it to be so noticeable. Quadrupling the pixels should resolve this small issue however. Just glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
IMO the f8500 is the closest thing to OLED and in a controlled lighting situation would be great. I am not a fan of the ZT 60 and never understood what the fuss was with it.
Hmmm, let'S see. Way lower mll than the Samsung F8500? Much finer dithering gradation in the lower IREs? Sharper motion especially with 60fpsinput? Better screen filter? Lower possible delta E after calibration? The list goes on and on....

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
Of course one could start a different list for the F8500. Much less aggressive ABL than the ZT. Much higher brightness than the ZT. An overall greater apparent sharpness than the ZT.

But wait, isn't this the 9300 thread? We aren't resurrecting the old ZT vs F8500 arguments are we? Both were and are great plasmas and, both don't have as good a PQ as either the 9300 or 9800. :)

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,560 ·
Hmmm, let'S see. Way lower mll than the Samsung F8500? Much finer dithering gradation in the lower IREs? Sharper motion especially with 60fpsinput? Better screen filter? Lower possible delta E after calibration? The list goes on and on....
I do not care what specs say about a ZT60 to me the picture looked washed out and dull. I have never seen a ZT60 look good. Might be the store I was watching them at but to my eyes the F8500 always looked better. Maybe a calibrated set in the proper lighting would have changed my mind, I could only go on my personal experiences.

1541 - 1560 of 3002 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.