AVS Forum banner

24501 - 24520 of 24833 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
A couple notes and questions about HDR. For amazon which does not work with the TV app now...has anyone tried an external device over HDMI passing the signal? since ultimately the TV has to do the HDR decoding, I would think the source of the content would not matter unless the external box has some smarts to pass a different HDR signal. Another observation...we recently upgraded Netflix to get 4K. It does detect HDR fine and the interface is SOOOOO much better than Amazon where you need to gather a search party to find the 4K content sometimes. But here is the big negative for me...I believe the HDR processing may take low light scenes and make them even darker as part of the "high contrast effect"...which I assume is all is post processing. For our TV...this brings out the worst as low light scenes can become almost unwatchable...I would be embarrassed to show to my friends. Some content does look good but overall not sure HDR and the way it is processed is a good thing for us.
Try dynamic contrast on low, fixes the dim picture in hdr issue for me.

This "answer" should have gone with this "question".

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Everything looks dismal. Dull colors, overly dark, usually greenish hue. When available, the non-HDR usually looks much better.

All HDMI inputs are set to Ultra HD Deep Color. Tried new fast cables from monoprice. "HDR ON" notification does appear on TV. Tried both std and wide "Color Gamut".
Thank you for the reply. My responses to your Q's:
1) I watch on ISF (Expert) 1 or 2. Pretty much have same settings on both except usually set one with some TrueMotion. Settings are (when HDR is ON):
OLED Light: grayed out (set at 60)
Contrast: grayed out (set at 80)
Brightness: 50
H & V Sharpness: both 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Control:
Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Edge Enhancer, Color Filter: all off
Color Gamut: standard (I have tried Wide)
Expert Pattern: grayed out (Off)
Gamma: grayed out (2.2)

Color Management: all 0's

[edit]

Again, thanks for the help, and any insight

Your settings are not that far off from mine, but my brightness and color levels are definitely higher across the board (I use one ISF setting for "UHD/4K/HDR material" and one for "everything else" e.g. standard HD).

The comments I highlighted above make me think that something is seriously off either in the "color management" menu (I did tweak a couple of the "expert 2 point settings") or maybe even at a "service mode" level, but those require special equipment and/or professional attention. For example the standard and WCG modes should look very different on a movie like Blade Runner 2049 (from a properly operating source/player). Again, this assumes that that the Deep Color settings are operating properly throughout the video chain (did you know it should be ON for the TV and OFF for the player?).

Unfortunately, you don't have the only streaming subscription that I know currently works on the internal app (Netflix); as you said, Amazon is "broken" and Vudu never got around to supporting 4k on our TV. Don't know if/when you last did a complete TV "reset", but it might be worth it since you haven't tweaked your settings much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, thanks for the further feedback. I was hoping against hope for something simple. At this point, I'm probably just hosed (don't want to risk blowing a lot on an ISF cal just for this, and knowing it is a roll of the dice).

Again, this assumes that that the Deep Color settings are operating properly throughout the video chain (did you know it should be ON for the TV and OFF for the player?).

Not sure exactly what that means. But the XBOX and Roku really don't have much in the way of settings. And the receiver has less. They just detect if the TV can receive UHD and HDR, and then it does its thing. The XBOX does have independent settings for Color Depth (I set to 10-bit) and Color Space (I set to "Standard (Recommended)". The other choice was "RGB"). Curiously though, the AVR said the input signal was RGB. But I also tried direct connection to TV and it looked same. Still washed out.

Maybe I'll try that TV reset.

... or maybe I'll get a C8 :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I dont watch HDR hardly at all, because it just doesnt look good with some stuff. What are everyone's settings to get it dialed in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont watch HDR hardly at all, because it just doesnt look good with some stuff. What are everyone's settings to get it dialed in?
I was struggling with HDR too. A lot of films looked way too dark and I was constantly in the picture settings. Got myself the Panasonic UB820 and it's tone mapping has made a very noticeable difference. Works on Netflix/Amazon Prime as well as 4K blu-rays. Watched Infinity War and the scenes at the start were much brighter and I could make out a lot more detail. First time I watched it the scenes on the Asgardian ship were just too dark. Going to try the Harry Potter films at some point too. They were very dark in HDR.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was struggling with HDR too. A lot of films looked way too dark and I was constantly in the picture settings. Got myself the Panasonic UB820 and it's tone mapping has made a very noticeable difference. Works on Netflix/Amazon Prime as well as 4K blu-rays. Watched Infinity War and the scenes at the start were much brighter and I could make out a lot more detail. First time I watched it the scenes on the Asgardian ship were just too dark. Going to try the Harry Potter films at some point too. They were very dark in HDR.
I bought a C8 during BF and rewatched a ton of things that I first watched in HDR on my 9500. The 9500 barely qualifies to do it imo but there's no fix since the panel is incapable of getting bright enough.

for those that complained about the super bright HDR subtitles on the 9500 they're even worse on the C8 lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just wish there was something easier that didnt cost me $500, lol.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just wish there was something easier that didnt cost me $500, lol.

You mean like a new TV for $2000 :p
There's only a couple of movies that I've had to use the HDR slider on (I have the "old" Panny) in my collection. I have separate settings (ISF1/2) for UHD/HDR/WCG and "everything else".

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
To wrap-up the whole "Amazon app doesn't support HDR for our TV" thing, this is what I did: if I use the app on my UHD player, it plays in HDR. I did complain to Amazon (multiple times)...and they said they would forward the problem/request...but I don't hold out a lot of hope that they are going to "fix" it (even though it used to play in HDR on our TVs).

24501 - 24520 of 24833 Posts