AVS Forum banner

24681 - 24700 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Wide Color Gamut does work in HD. At first I thought it didn't help, but it does. I tested it again tonight and it clearly saturates color more.

It may "saturate" them more, but that doesn't mean they are accurate. Only UHD supports WCG...just sayin'

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It may "saturate" them more, but that doesn't mean they are accurate. Only UHD supports WCG...just sayin'
Wasn't talking about accuracy. I understood your comment as saying it didn't work at all in HD, which it does. I didn't want people misunderstanding that it didn't work at all in HD.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Guys, finally decide to move to a B9. It's a big improvement over my EF9500. Specially in motion handing and near black image. Also HDMI 2.1 features are great.
Yup, I'm sure near-black is much better than on the 9500, where it's pretty bad. However, the B9 doesn't handle 3D so well, so for the near future, I'll be sticking with the 9500, in spite of the fact the newer models have other features I'd like.

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
Guys, finally decide to move to a B9. It's a big improvement over my EF9500. Specially in motion handing and near black image. Also HDMI 2.1 features are great.

See you on the other side!

Saludos

Enviado desde mi Pixel XL mediante Tapatalk
Congratulations! That's a big improvement. IMO, my EF9500 is a dog compared to the newer models. In fact my E6 is vastly superior to the 9500. I don't regret buying OLED, my only regret was wasting $5000 on the EF9500. I should have waited another year and only bought the E6. The 9500 is horrible with near blacks, vignetting, etc. If I tried to sell my 9500, I would be happy getting $300 for it.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Congratulations! That's a big improvement. IMO, my EF9500 is a dog compared to the newer models. In fact my E6 is vastly superior to the 9500. I don't regret buying OLED, my only regret was wasting $5000 on the EF9500. I should have waited another year and only bought the E6. The 9500 is horrible with near blacks, vignetting, etc. If I tried to sell my 9500, I would be happy getting $300 for it.

Without the 9500, there would never have been an E6/7/8/etc. Yes, some panels were better than others, but I will never regret owning the first flat OLED panel in history...and I have yet to find anything it can't handle (I have never upgraded any parts of my system to DV).

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Without the 9500, there would never have been an E6/7/8/etc. Yes, some panels were better than others, but I will never regret owning the first flat OLED panel in history...and I have yet to find anything it can't handle (I have never upgraded any parts of my system to DV).
I agree, I love the E9500 but now have it in a guest room since I purchased a C9. I will probably always buy OLED TVs from now on...

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
My 9500 was awful (uniformity hideousness). I also have an 55EA9800 that is not much better admittedly. The 65" G6 is a gem in comparison to all of them (the 77" is a letdown in comparison).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats!
Very interested in the "near black image". This has been one area of disappointment on my EF9500. All the talk about "perfect blacks", but it is really bad with "near black". How much better is the B9? And do you know how it compares to other current high-end TV's?

And what about banding?
In near black, comparing the B9 to the EF9500, in my opinion it´s a huge leap in a very good way. Actually I could say I´m pretty happy about how it performs. Seems like the C9 has even better near black performance than the B9 but I haven´t see one. But as I said I´m very pleased with the B9 performance.

About banding, is other area I think they improve a lot comparing it to the EF9500. It is not perfect, but considering how it look out of the box (I´m sending you a PM with an image of it), I think it will get almost perfect. But it also could be due to the panel lottery, but as far I can remember I dind´t see results like the B9 out of the box on my EF9500 or other´s members.

Saludos

·
Registered
46 Posts
There've been a number of firmware updates over the years on the EF9500. Do the old recommended calibrations still apply? I've always gone with something resembling the one from rtings.com or CNET, but again, they're old recommendations. Is gamma 2.2 still ideal? I feel like my HDR is dimmer than it used to be for some reason.

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
There've been a number of firmware updates over the years on the EF9500. Do the old recommended calibrations still apply? I've always gone with something resembling the one from rtings.com or CNET, but again, they're old recommendations. Is gamma 2.2 still ideal? I feel like my HDR is dimmer than it used to be for some reason.
The tv may be getting dimmer because it is aging. Half life on these tv's are not as good as the newer tv's. So if you have 10,000 hours on your tv you are likely approaching it's half life. Now that doesn't mean it gets dramatically dimmer, but that it may have lost 10 to 15% of it's peak brightness compared to when it was brand new. When brand new it's peak brightness was 540 nits, which was the minimum standard for HDR. So if it has lost 10 to 15%, the tv's peak brightness may only be 470 nits or so, not really enough for HDR anymore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The tv may be getting dimmer because it is aging. Half life on these tv's are not as good as the newer tv's. So if you have 10,000 hours on your tv you are likely approaching it's half life. Now that doesn't mean it gets dramatically dimmer, but that it may have lost 10 to 15% of it's peak brightness compared to when it was brand new. When brand new it's peak brightness was 540 nits, which was the minimum standard for HDR. So if it has lost 10 to 15%, the tv's peak brightness may only be 470 nits or so, not really enough for HDR anymore.
Interesting, good to know. I'm still overall extremely happy with the TV and would need something to probably break before I replace it. There's no way to turn up the OLED light just on HDR mode is there?

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
Interesting, good to know. I'm still overall extremely happy with the TV and would need something to probably break before I replace it. There's no way to turn up the OLED light just on HDR mode is there?
Nothing you can do to make it brighter other than having OLED light and contrast at 100.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's discussed in this thread a bunch but Dynamic Contrast helps a lot when In HDR. Some of the settings get overwritten it seems when HDR kicks on. The brightness you are seeing without Dynamic Contrast is not the panels max brightness.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's discussed in this thread a bunch but Dynamic Contrast helps a lot when In HDR. Some of the settings get overwritten it seems when HDR kicks on. The brightness you are seeing without Dynamic Contrast is not the panels max brightness.
Could never watch HDR on this set without Dynamic Contrast on low. It's just to dim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parts usually can not be sold new to end users, only service centers. There is Ebay though :)

That does not pan out prepare myself for an expensive LG repair service. :( Just for them to come out you are looking at $100, odds are favorable it will not be worth fixing when you factor in the TV is still not in warranty when you are done compared to the cost of a new unit :( I hope that I am wrong.......
My 55ef9500 suddenly went dead. A 'pop' sound. Opened the TV, dont see any obvious burned parts.
Not even the LG logo works anymore. TV is from June 2016.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
No problems here, bought June 2016, has 15,982 hrs on it. Yikes! 12+ hrs/day, think I got my money's worth even if it craps out tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
No problems here, bought June 2016, has 15,982 hrs on it. Yikes! 12+ hrs/day, think I got my money's worth even if it craps out tomorrow.
I remember reading somewhere that the expected life of these OLED TVs is 30,000 hours so you're only half way there. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Was trying to watch some OTA and everything on live tv is just garbage although the sound comes through just fine. Is this a main board issue? Hopefully this isnt a symptom or precursor to a dying TV

·
Registered
540 Posts
Was trying to watch some OTA and everything on live tv is just garbage although the sound comes through just fine. Is this a main board issue? Hopefully this isnt a symptom or precursor to a dying TV
Please define "garbage."

24681 - 24700 of 24800 Posts