AVS Forum banner

24761 - 24780 of 24800 Posts

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
I live in East Bay, SF area. A 9500 with 9,700 hours on it has come up on Craigslist in Sacramento. It's been well treated, he says he keeps his light level down at 30% because he likes watching in the dark.

Just asked him about screenburn, earlier he said that if you treat your set right it is not an issue. So not sure if it has any or not.

He initially wanted $1200. I told him I could not justify that price for a set with that many hours on it, and he came back with, How about $1000?

A couple days ago I was pointed to a brand new C9 for $1450, free shipping. Wasn't ready to plunk down then, am now. But today I can't find anything new for under $1700. At least not with a standard Google search.

Still torn, but if the new ones are up at 1700 and above now, my choice looks pretty clear, I need to save the money.

Is a well treated 9500 worth the gamble and 3 hours on the road, for $1000?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I live in East Bay, SF area. A 9500 with 9,700 hours on it has come up on Craigslist in Sacramento. It's been well treated, he says he keeps his light level down at 30% because he likes watching in the dark.

Just asked him about screenburn, earlier he said that if you treat your set right it is not an issue. So not sure if it has any or not.

He initially wanted $1200. I told him I could not justify that price for a set with that many hours on it, and he came back with, How about $1000?

A couple days ago I was pointed to a brand new C9 for $1450, free shipping. Wasn't ready to plunk down then, am now. But today I can't find anything new for under $1700. At least not with a standard Google search.

Still torn, but if the new ones are up at 1700 and above now, my choice looks pretty clear, I need to save the money.

That's a lot of hours. Mine had about 3500 when it was damaged in an accident. Mine did not have any screen burn. I don't think the TV is worth anything near $1,000 unless you are a 3D diehard and don't care about HDR performance. I would spend the money on the C9.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts

I would not buy it. I have the 9500. One big issue is bad vignetting with near blacks. If the tv was built January 2016 or later, then that problem was fixed. Prior to that, it was a big issue as it is on my tv. Next issue is a yellow stain on right screen with full white images. It was affectionally called the yellow piss stain. I went trough 4 exchanges before I got a good screen with no pee stain, yet they all had the horrible near black vignetting. Another problem was the poorly applied 3D filter on some of the 9500's. Basically made 3D unwatchable. If you watch 3D, and the current owner never did, then if he never checked for the 3D problem, it may be there. The final issue is the poor screen uniformity with near blacks in the form of banding. IMO, it's not worth buying a used EF9500. If it has any of the issues I mentioned, it's not worth $300.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You might as well keep it. I have the 9500 and E6. And the E6 is also significantly brighter than the EF9500. The Ef9500 barely hits 540 nits, the minimum for HDR. I would say you would be lucky to get $400 or $500 for the tv. Even though it has 3D, it is poor with HDR, and gamers would probably not want to spend much on a 5 year old tv as it came out in 2015. The EF9500 was good when it came out, but compared to current OLEDs, it's pretty poor.
Totally agree. And agree on the "poor" with HDR. I gave up on it and disabled the TV's HDR mode. And gamers? The lag is poor by today's standards (>50 ms), definitely noticeable to this very non-pro gamer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Totally agree. And agree on the "poor" with HDR. I gave up on it and disabled the TV's HDR mode. And gamers? The lag is poor by today's standards (>50 ms), definitely noticeable to this very non-pro gamer.
I do just fine, even with fast twitch FPS's but I make sure to use the Game Mode for sure.

@Mr Bob Incidentally, I do think a few in this forum tend to over exaggerate the floor on pricing of this and other TVs like it. You can get over $300 from a working panel and working mainboard for just this TV in parts alone. Saying a working TV with all the parts is worth less than the parts themselves are worth is a bit nonsensical. There's a few users that I've noticed over the years that tend to exaggerate more than others as well ;)

You can ask the seller for the serial number and we can get a good idea if it was plagued with any of the early model issues. However, I currently have an October 2015 model that does not have the yellow staining. I do know what it looks like too because it's my second panel as the first panel did have to get exchanged because of it. So it's not like I'm blissfully unaware or anything. HDR for me, has been perfectly fine too, I just have to turn on Dynamic Contrast to Low. For some, turning on any post processing is a cardinal sin and the TV is dirt because of it :rolleyes:

That being said, I would agree still that isn't worth the $1,000 price point at those hours. But it's certainly not only worth $300 either. If they came down more to $750-$800, I would consider it.

TLDR, The EF9500 is still a very good OLED TV. People here just have extraordinarily high standards. I'm waiting for a Plasma to die so I can move my 65EF9500 to the family room and get a new 77" for the main entertainment area. Until the Plasma dies though, I don't see a need to prematurely replace things to get into the stressful panel lottery again. If you check the owner threads for newer models, people are all still complaining and jumping through the same hoops for those as well. Perfection is a tough nut to crack.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts

TLDR, The EF9500 is still a very good OLED TV. People here just have extraordinarily high standards. ...
You're right about people on these forums having the high standards but the average TV viewer couldn't care less. For instance, the rest of my family are perfectly happy watching SD content, much less HD or even UHD content. I personally don't ever hardly watch SD anymore.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Another thing to think about is the half life of the early OLEDs such as the 9500. Half life is around 15,000 hours. The tv has 9700 hours on it. It has gone through 2/3rds of its half life. Spending $1000 on a tv approaching its half life is not a good move IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do just fine, even with fast twitch FPS's but I make sure to use the Game Mode for sure.
Game mode is a must. Well, actually I tested and I get the same (reduction in) lag if I just turn off the TrueMotion. Everyone has their own tolerance. I am not a competitive gamer by any stretch, but I found the lag in my aiming was very noticeable (Mass Effect 3 multiplayer). To the point where I ended out using a 24" LCD hooked up to XBOX instead. And yes, it made an appreciable difference.

As to your other points, I totally get where you are coming from. There is some of all of that going on, But one can make similar generalizations the other way too (confirmation bias).

As to sum of parts worth being higher than total working panel? Sure, can happen. Happens in the parts world all the time. Imagine you just need a main board. Would you rather buy it for $200, or get a full set for $400 when you aren't sure its panel is as good as yours? And it depends on the market. The small group here might pay top-$ to get a board since they won't live without 3D.

But Joe-Public? You mention how some in your family are happy with SD. Sure, I have that in my family too. But are any of those people going to pay $800-$1000 for a 4-5 year old used TV when "I can get a 65" TV that's fine for $500"? So, you are already limiting yourself to people who want OLED because they know what it can do. Are they going to pay that much for a TV that old and questionable? Hey, maybe he'll find that buyer.

Last: picky type. I plead guilty. I got this TV and LOVED IT. Then I started noticing:

• Green tint off-axis (so much for great off-axis vs. LCD)
  • Crushed dark grays (I hate this!)
  • Banding (false contouring?). Hate it ... but not as much as the shadow detail issue.
  • Got a 4K HDR player and tried for weeks to get it to look as good as std BR copy in same disk set. No luck. Tried everything mentioned here. Didn't come close.
  • DSE. Gray vertical bands. Maybe this happened with time, or maybe always there. Annoying, but don't see in "real content", i.e. can live with it.
  • It doesn't handle mediocre content very well (720p, low bit rate HD). I'm sure it isn't alone there. Maybe the nature of OLED makes it worse though?
So ... yeah.

Then I rewatch Gravity 3D. Inky blacks ... beautiful 3D. And I fall in love again. But how many times can I watch Gravity 3D? Or animated flicks (looks great with those)? Lots of content still looks great.

TBH, if I got some other technology set, would I find faults? Sure. I just don't know though. And why the "pro reviews" seem to nary mention these. Did I get a crappy panel, or maybe there's some of the opposite kool-aid (confirmation bias) here. As much or more than us nit-pickers, perhaps?

[/random tirade mode]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Game mode is a must. Well, actually I tested and I get the same (reduction in) lag if I just turn off the TrueMotion. Everyone has their own tolerance. I am not a competitive gamer by any stretch, but I found the lag in my aiming was very noticeable (Mass Effect 3 multiplayer). To the point where I ended out using a 24" LCD hooked up to XBOX instead. And yes, it made an appreciable difference.

As to your other points, I totally get where you are coming from. There is some of all of that going on, But one can make similar generalizations the other way too (confirmation bias).

As to sum of parts worth being higher than total working panel? Sure, can happen. Happens in the parts world all the time. Imagine you just need a main board. Would you rather buy it for $200, or get a full set for $400 when you aren't sure its panel is as good as yours? And it depends on the market. The small group here might pay top-$ to get a board since they won't live without 3D.

But Joe-Public? You mention how some in your family are happy with SD. Sure, I have that in my family too. But are any of those people going to pay $800-$1000 for a 4-5 year old used TV when "I can get a 65" TV that's fine for $500"? So, you are already limiting yourself to people who want OLED because they know what it can do. Are they going to pay that much for a TV that old and questionable? Hey, maybe he'll find that buyer.

Last: picky type. I plead guilty. I got this TV and LOVED IT. Then I started noticing:

• Green tint off-axis (so much for great off-axis vs. LCD)
  • Crushed dark grays (I hate this!)
  • Banding (false contouring?). Hate it ... but not as much as the shadow detail issue.
  • Got a 4K HDR player and tried for weeks to get it to look as good as std BR copy in same disk set. No luck. Tried everything mentioned here. Didn't come close.
  • DSE. Gray vertical bands. Maybe this happened with time, or maybe always there. Annoying, but don't see in "real content", i.e. can live with it.
  • It doesn't handle mediocre content very well (720p, low bit rate HD). I'm sure it isn't alone there. Maybe the nature of OLED makes it worse though?
So ... yeah.

Then I rewatch Gravity 3D. Inky blacks ... beautiful 3D. And I fall in love again. But how many times can I watch Gravity 3D? Or animated flicks (looks great with those)? Lots of content still looks great.

TBH, if I got some other technology set, would I find faults? Sure. I just don't know though. And why the "pro reviews" seem to nary mention these. Did I get a crappy panel, or maybe there's some of the opposite kool-aid (confirmation bias) here. As much or more than us nit-pickers, perhaps?

[/random tirade mode]
I didn't mention some in my family being okay with SD, that was another poster.

However, I have to disagree with a lot (not all) of what you're saying though. I'm not sure you understood my point about the sum of parts being worth more than the whole package though. If this was common place, people would be buying up working TVs, dismantling them and selling working items for parts left and right. This doesn't really happen en masse because the market isn't there to support it. It'd be an arbitrage opportunity though and quite easy since there aren't many parts to begin with. People on this forum being willing to purchase individual pieces or the whole thing is tangential to the original point. The whole TV will still cost them more than the sum of the parts they are buying if everything works. You can of course get unlucky and purchase from different sellers, "build" your own, and it end up costing more than a working TV you just found. It just sounds like you're actually asking OP to buy the TV, take it apart, and then sell all the pieces to turn a profit, lol.

Your complaints about the TV are fine though, no TV is perfect and obviously newer technology and TVs will perform better, but a brand new TV doesn't seem to be in the OP budget.

The point was what's the general worth of a 65EF9500 and that's going to vary widely across the board. For some, it might be $300 because the deficits the TV actively remove value in their minds. My point is that this mindset is exceedingly rare but appears common here on this forum and maybe a handful of other places on the internet. If I'm trying to sell my 65EF9500, I don't come here to do it. I use any number of other avenues to get an actual fair value for it. That fair value is what we're discussing, not the value to the enthusiast. So if we're answering OP in the correct context, I think it's fair to be honest with him what the fair value is. If it's trying to buy this TV used from anywhere else, he's not going to find it for $300 and the seller will likely swear at him and hang up. Someone here being unwilling to pay more than that, isn't how value works, it just means they don't see it as worth that. That concept does exist everywhere and people all day long don't buy things because they don't think the value is right, TVs, Cars, Houses, etc. It doesn't mean they are correct, it just means they don't agree with it. The value is what someone will pay for it after all :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
LG OLED55B7A-U Green streak in picture

Hi All,

This is probably NOT the correct thread for this but it's as close as I could find using the search.

My friend has an LG OLED55B7A-U about a year old and it has a green streak, so to speak, down the middle of the screen.

Can anyone tell me if this is the display, aka the screen, or the main or other PCB, cable or??

I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure! :D

Thanks for any assistance! :)

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Hi All,

This is probably NOT the correct thread for this but it's as close as I could find using the search.

My friend has an LG OLED55B7A-U about a year old and it has a green streak, so to speak, down the middle of the screen.

Can anyone tell me if this is the display, aka the screen, or the main or other PCB, cable or??

I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure! :D

Thanks for any assistance! :)

Tom
My guess is it's the panel and will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is it's the panel and will need to be replaced.

When you say "Panel" you mean the screen, right? :frown:

I understand the term, but my friend is not technical, so I want him to understand.

From what I can determine a new screen will cost more than a new TV, right? :frown:

Thanks VERY much!

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
When you say "Panel" you mean the screen, right? :frown:

I understand the term, but my friend is not technical, so I want him to understand.

From what I can determine a new screen will cost more than a new TV, right? :frown:

Thanks VERY much!
Correct, it would be the screen. A new screen with labor is going to cost over $1000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since it appears LG has consistent issues like this, my friend is going to just get a new TV. Is there a thread here with recommendations or reviews on wht he should get instead of another LG?

Tom

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Since it appears LG has consistent issues like this, my friend is going to just get a new TV. Is there a thread here with recommendations or reviews on wht he should get instead of another LG?

Tom
What is his budget? if he still wants OLED, then the Sony A8H would be my choice.

24761 - 24780 of 24800 Posts