AVS Forum banner

24781 - 24800 of 24846 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
He says his budget is open. What do you suggest ?

Thanks again..
The 2019 Sony A9G is their master series OLED. They inspect each tv before leaving the factory and set the white balance. So it should look really good OOTB. The A8H is the 2020 model, but not considered a master series, so it doesn't get the same treatment as the master series, but still is a very good tv. Have him check both the A9G thread and the A8H thread. The 2020 A9H master series has been delayed for this year, and may not come out until 2021. The A9G comes in 55, 65 and 77 inch, while the A8H is only 55 and 65 inches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Considering upgrade from 65'' EF9500 to Samsung 85'' Q90T. Love to have CX but the maximum size is only 77''. How does Samsung QLED compare to the old EF series?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Considering upgrade from 65'' EF9500 to Samsung 85'' Q90T. Love to have CX but the maximum size is only 77''. How does Samsung QLED compare to the old EF series?
Significantly worse then even the first OLEDs. The trade-off is size and price for picture quality. Always has been, that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going from OLED to QLED is not in any way an upgrade.
I agree my ef9500 works well most of the time.
But the biggest pain for me is its limited brightness. HDR content is not watchable in daylight. Q90T has much higher brightness (>1000cd/m2). I heard CX improves brightness a bit, but still in ~600cd/m2 range.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree my ef9500 works well most of the time.
But the biggest pain for me is its limited brightness. HDR content is not watchable in daylight. Q90T has much higher brightness (>1000cd/m2). I heard CX improves brightness a bit, but still in ~600cd/m2 range.
Are you asking the same Q in the Samsung thread? I suspect you might get a different answer :)

I've made no secret of all the issues I've had with my EF9500, but in your case, if it works ... ;)

Anyway, I'd suspect that the Q90T would be superior in the following:
Brightness (by a mile)
HDR experience (I'm obviously biased by my poor experience with the EF9500, but YMMV)
Gaming (much lower lag). Does the Samsung support VRR as well?
Near black/gray scale/whatever is called. The LG's are great at pure black, not so great at near black to dark gray differentiating.

Areas where I think it might be expected to be superior (due to combo of top of the line, 5 years progress, etc.):
false contouring/banding??
motion processing / handling of poor content (LG isn't known for being top tier, OLED really tends to highlight the issues with lower quality content)

Where you will certainly lose out:
pure black (love those inky star backgrounds)
ultra-wide viewing angle
3D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey, just got a notice there's a new "NSU" to download, TV prompted me today. Anyone know what it changes? The number was in the prompt but I didn't write it before the notice went away.

FWIW my 65EF9500 firmware is 04.26.05 currently. I haven't downloaded what was prompted yet. Where is best source for info online?

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
My buddy Roy got us into 2 65" 2019 C9's he discovered on Craig's List, and each of us dove in and got one of them. The guy actually had 3, somehow. Each was brand new, mine had its plastic still stuck to the screen, and both read out at ZERO hours. We hopped on them.

The price was a net of around 1/3 of full out MSRP, and we feel there was no better deal anywhere we coulda gotten. Watching has been heaven. Had to take the color saturation down a little and goose the Brightness up a little to capture shadow detail, but after that it's been superb viewing.

They were both open box tho, and some parts were missing. To wit, the flat floor part of the stand, that goes in front of the heavy duty base of the stand and is secured to that heavy base part by 3 Philips head screws. Without which the panel will tumble forward and damage itself.

I put mine up on the wall so I don't need either piece, but would still like to have the missing flat stand piece JIC, so that someday when I move it along it will be a complete set. I have the heavy part. I can get the flat part from Encompass, but even at dealer cost it's still a bit of change. Anybody out there who did a wall mount as well, and may have one of those flat parts lying around now that they would be willing to part with? I'll pay the shipping -

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Another thing to think about is the half life of the early OLEDs such as the 9500. Half life is around 15,000 hours. The tv has 9700 hours on it. It has gone through 2/3rds of its half life. Spending $1000 on a tv approaching its half life is not a good move IMO.
Once again, though, 3D.

The only way to get 3D today is a projector.

If you have a library of 3D discs, it’s worth it.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
My buddy Roy got us into 2 65" 2019 C9's he discovered on Craig's List, and each of us dove in and got one of them. The guy actually had 3, somehow. Each was brand new, mine had its plastic still stuck to the screen, and both read out at ZERO hours. We hopped on them.

The price was a net of around 1/3 of full out MSRP, and we feel there was no better deal anywhere we coulda gotten. Watching has been heaven. Had to take the color saturation down a little and goose the Brightness up a little to capture shadow detail, but after that it's been superb viewing.

They were both open box tho, and some parts were missing. To wit, the flat floor part of the stand, that goes in front of the heavy duty base of the stand and is secured to that heavy base part by 3 Philips head screws. Without which the panel will tumble forward and damage itself.

I put mine up on the wall so I don't need either piece, but would still like to have the missing flat stand piece JIC, so that someday when I move it along it will be a complete set. I have the heavy part. I can get the flat part from Encompass, but even at dealer cost it's still a bit of change. Anybody out there who did a wall mount as well, and may have one of those flat parts lying around now that they would be willing to part with? I'll pay the shipping -
You might want to post this in the C9 thread for more responses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you asking the same Q in the Samsung thread? I suspect you might get a different answer :)

I've made no secret of all the issues I've had with my EF9500, but in your case, if it works ... ;)

Anyway, I'd suspect that the Q90T would be superior in the following:
Brightness (by a mile)
HDR experience (I'm obviously biased by my poor experience with the EF9500, but YMMV)
Gaming (much lower lag). Does the Samsung support VRR as well?
Near black/gray scale/whatever is called. The LG's are great at pure black, not so great at near black to dark gray differentiating.

Areas where I think it might be expected to be superior (due to combo of top of the line, 5 years progress, etc.):r
false contouring/banding??
motion processing / handling of poor content (LG isn't known for being top tier, OLED really tends to highlight the issues with lower quality content)

Where you will certainly lose out:
pure black (love those inky star backgrounds)
ultra-wide viewing angle
3D
Decided to give Qled a try and got a 85' q90t. i have to say q90t overvall performs much better than my 65ef9500, in both bright and dark conditons. hdr content finally becomes enjoyable to watch.

the viewing angle is indeed not as good as oled, but not a big issue for me.

I will prbably come back to oled again when 88' or larger oled is reasonably priced. But honestly Qled has much exceeded my expectation towards led lcd.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Replacement Main Board?

Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement main board to install yourself? Believe the part number is EBT64037902 and I can't find it in stock anywhere. Have found one site that says EBU63487601 is a working alternative, but they require you to put down a deposit that in theory is refunded after you send back the old board. Worried that wouldn't happen if the old board is a different part number. Have tried to ask LG if that part will work and also if they can point me to someone who has the original part in stock and they told me all they can do is refer me to an authorized technician.

For context, the main issue I'm trying to address is that 2 of the 3 HDMI inputs have stopped working (no signal received). I also have a vertical line of black pixels, but assume that's a panel issue and have been told by a repair technician that I'd basically be better off buying a new TV vs. replacing the panel.
I just had my main board repaired by www.nickstvs.com/ after an ebay replacement main board didn't work nor did my botched oven re-solder for my original board. The repair from Nicks was successful and comes with a one year warranty. About $200 total.

24781 - 24800 of 24846 Posts