AVS Forum banner

24801 - 24820 of 24849 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I seem to recall a couple of people in this thread were looking for the base stand for this model, although I can't currently find the posts using search. They can be hard to obtain and/or expensive (just under £200 in the UK/EU, sometimes with long lead times/absence of stock). I am selling one with some damage if anyone is interested. The damage is underneath - the black plastic part that screws into the main base has cracked, particularly around the screw holes. This is hardly visible when using it and I was still able to use the stand, since the main load-bearing part is fine as well as the attachment to the TV. I think the stand is the same for all models but if anyone knows better please correct me. It is packed into the box the replacement part came in with plenty of padding.

Probably most people here are US-based and shipping will be non-trivial but I'm open to offers nonetheless. I imagine that I will try local listings/avforums too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Speaking of stands & mounts, does anyone have an OTW150 wall mount for the 65EF9500 available?
I actually just upgraded from a 65EF9500 to a 77 CX and now have an OTW150 wall mount I was planning on posting to Ebay since I don’t use it anymore. Private message me if you are interested.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone use OTA tv and have problems with memorized channels getting deleted and no information loading on the TV Guide or Channel List? I'm using it for a week and notice 1 channel and its subchannels deleted. As for the TV Guide and Channel List, it will load information if I select the channel.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Does anyone use OTA tv and have problems with memorized channels getting deleted and no information loading on the TV Guide or Channel List? I'm using it for a week and notice 1 channel and its subchannels deleted. As for the TV Guide and Channel List, it will load information if I select the channel.
You may have to rescan the channels.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rescanning seems to resolve the unresponsive TV guide problem. I'm not sure why channels get deleted though. Not a major problem.
I guess rescanning didn't fix the problem. I turned on the tv several hours later the the problem came back. Rescanned again, it the problem was still there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess rescanning didn't fix the problem. I turned on the tv several hours later the the problem came back. Rescanned again, it the problem was still there.
I just noticed that after unplugging the TV my wi-fi connection was lost. I re-entered it and now the TV Guide works. I may be using the internet connection as a backup to retrieve the TV Guide. Time will tell if this is just a temporary fix or not.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What do you mean, you have the same problem? I found some info on the LG site but there wasn't a solution. I tried unplugging it and it didn't work. No channel information
Yes. I thought I commented on it earlier but I guess I didn't hit the post button.Selecting Automatic time didn't work and it was off by a daylight savings hour. Changing the time zone ahead an hour didn't work either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes. I thought I commented on it earlier but I guess I didn't hit the post button.Selecting Automatic time didn't work and it was off by a daylight savings hour. Changing the time zone ahead an hour didn't work either.
When I disconnected from my network my guide flipped to no information. I got the guide to work again by setting the time automatically, connect to the network and then powered off in that order.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, this is going to be one of those "should I switch to a ..." inquiries, but might seem far-fetched. Here goes ...

Have a 55" EF9500. A little tired of some of its limitations, but don't want to spend another $1K+, so thinking about either:
Hisense H9G
TCL 635

Both in 55" (I honestly do not feel any desire to up-size).

The main issues with my OLED are (in order of importance):
HDR flat-out doesn't work
Detail in very dark (NOT pure-black) scenes is lacking. Think GoT crypt scenes. Lots of blobs of few discrete grays. Hate it.
Banding (like above, but also sunsets/underwater scenes). Hate it.
My room has lots of sunlight, so somewhat an issue when I just can't get it dark enough on bright day.
Game input lag. I can sort-of live with this.
Stutter in panning shots. I can live with this

Also, I just don't think it handles low-bandwidth that well. And that's a lot of the content I get (Comcast HBO sucks). But maybe that is because it shows things that other TV's just don't resolve?

On the positive:
The pure blacks. On the right content, the picture is beautiful!
The 3D (not that I use it that often)
Motion (other than the stutter) - but can't say I notice it much on other sets?
Wide viewing angles (but I can always sit dead-center when it matters)
And the TV is a work of art (design). I will miss that.

So, for any of you who have both (or heck, a strong opinion), interested in your feedback. Would I just be trading in known issues for more unknown (possibly more objectionable) ones?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
You asked, so here it is (in a biased OLED thread):
1) Once you've experienced OLED, I can't image why you would want to go back to anything else (unless it's for a small TV in the kitchen, etc.)
2) Many of the issues you mention have been vastly improved in newer OLEDs, but until you deal with the light issue in your (assuming) main view area, you will never get full benefit

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, this is going to be one of those "should I switch to a ..." inquiries, but might seem far-fetched. Here goes ...

Have a 55" EF9500. A little tired of some of its limitations, but don't want to spend another $1K+, so thinking about either:
Hisense H9G
TCL 635

Both in 55" (I honestly do not feel any desire to up-size).

The main issues with my OLED are (in order of importance):
HDR flat-out doesn't work
Detail in very dark (NOT pure-black) scenes is lacking. Think GoT crypt scenes. Lots of blobs of few discrete grays. Hate it.
Banding (like above, but also sunsets/underwater scenes). Hate it.
My room has lots of sunlight, so somewhat an issue when I just can't get it dark enough on bright day.
Game input lag. I can sort-of live with this.
Stutter in panning shots. I can live with this

Also, I just don't think it handles low-bandwidth that well. And that's a lot of the content I get (Comcast HBO sucks). But maybe that is because it shows things that other TV's just don't resolve?

On the positive:
The pure blacks. On the right content, the picture is beautiful!
The 3D (not that I use it that often)
Motion (other than the stutter) - but can't say I notice it much on other sets?
Wide viewing angles (but I can always sit dead-center when it matters)
And the TV is a work of art (design). I will miss that.

So, for any of you who have both (or heck, a strong opinion), interested in your feedback. Would I just be trading in known issues for more unknown (possibly more objectionable) ones?
HDR on my EF950 is great providing Dynamic Contrast is set to low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Lukather101, but I've tried that (in fact, after last time we discussed this!), and all other settings. I've since moved to the 7th stage of grief ;)

Stanton, thanks for the input. Actually, comments on whether any/ALL of these areas have been corrected are helpful. I could be convinced to shell out the extra $$ IF I know I won't see these issues in the new one. Basically, avoid the "fool me once ..."

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Stanton, thanks for the input. Actually, comments on whether any/ALL of these areas have been corrected are helpful. I could be convinced to shell out the extra $$ IF I know I won't see these issues in the new one. Basically, avoid the "fool me once ..."
If you are looking for specifics, then I recommend browsing/reading threads for any of the newer OLEDs (like the new CX/GX models). There have been 5 years worth of improvements since this model, and LG remains the OLED technology leader.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Lukather101, but I've tried that (in fact, after last time we discussed this!), and all other settings. I've since moved to the 7th stage of grief ;)

No

I'm really surprised your struggling with HDR on this TV, maybe it's because I've disabled ASBL so the screen is not dimming during dark scenes.
I'm also considering an upgrade but tbh I'm not finding to many negatives to warrant spending
£2500

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm really surprised your struggling with HDR on this TV, maybe it's because I've disabled ASBL so the screen is not dimming during dark scenes
Okay, so I decided to take yet another look at this. ... [what's the so-called definition of insanity again - nevermind, it never really made any sense anyway] ...

Westworld ultra-HD bluray
Ultra copy in XBOX-s on input 1 (Deep color enabled), Expert1
HD copy in old BD player thru receiver on input 2, Expert1
Expert1 on pretty standard settings (dynamic contrast off, I've never fiddled with the ASBL - isn't that some hidden menu thing?)
I was surprised when the Warner Bros logo came up on ultra copy and was ... beautiful! Definitely brighter, more saturated than the BD copy.
But the rest ... well at least this time it wasn't a slam dunk in favor of the BD. I'd say they were close with small edge to BD.
As always, a bit dim, too green tinted.

[Edit: damn, forgot the Fire TV gen2 doesn't do HDR! - which explains why they looked more or less same, so...]
Bosch on Roku Ultra (HDR) compared to Bosch on Fire TV, both direct connected to TV. Ultra on deep color enabled input. That way I could compare quickly between them. Was a blowout in favor of the non-HDR Fire TV.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Okay, so I decided to take yet another look at this. ... [what's the so-called definition of insanity again - nevermind, it never really made any sense anyway] ...
You are mixing so many sources/inputs (that I don't consider UHD quality) that I'm not sure you are getting a fair comparison. First off, the XBOX-S is not one of the better UHD players...and I'm not even sure how the Fire TV rates (probably not much better than my Roku--which is UHD capable). Even worse, the only title you mentioned that I consider "prime UHD/HDR quality" is Bosch (all seasons); Westworld is not shot in 4k and only the last season of The Expanse is shot in 4k (although the other seasons are some of the best HD quality I've ever seen). Until you play something like The Martian/Blade Runner/John Wick on a good hardware source (see my sig), you're not really exercising the HD Deep Color and WCG settings of the TV (have you done a proper calibration?).

I guess what I'm saying is I'm still 'wowed' by this TV on high-quality source material (like the John Wick fights in the mirror/breaking glass sequences) after 5 years and over 10,000 hours of 'up time' (although I now set dynamic contrast on low for HDR content).

Reactions: lukather101
24801 - 24820 of 24849 Posts