AVS Forum banner

24841 - 24849 of 24849 Posts

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Where is it confirmed that these tv's have such a short half life? I thought they were at least 30,000 hours.
I remember watching a video from an LG official who stated back in 2015 when the EF9500 came out, that in vivid mode half life was around 12,000 hours, and about 16 or 17,000 hours in standard mode.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On my ef9500 my inputs 1 and 2 get no signal with UHD Ultra Deep Color on with ps4 or pc, but input 3 works just fine, does anyone have any idea why this might be? And can I get it fixed?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
On my ef9500 my inputs 1 and 2 get no signal with UHD Ultra Deep Color on with ps4 or pc, but input 3 works just fine, does anyone have any idea why this might be? And can I get it fixed?
So those inputs work without DC? Not to be flippant, but at least you have 1 "good" input left. The only way to "fix" it is by replacing the Main Board (search this thread), but I'm not sure that's worth it at this point.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So those inputs work without DC? Not to be flippant, but at least you have 1 "good" input left. The only way to "fix" it is by replacing the Main Board (search this thread), but I'm not sure that's worth it at this point.
Yes, they work without DC. But I'm still under warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, they work without DC. But I'm still under warranty.
Did you try the cable that you know works connected to the other hdmi ports and sources? Just a thought, but I have a bag full of "trick" 18gbps cables that I need to get rid of as they dont work for DC specifically when enabled. From my understanding, all true 18gbps cables should work yet such is not the case.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Got a question for you calibration gurus out there.
After 12,000+ hours on my LG OLED, I thought I would check the settings. Sure enough, I had to bump up the color a few notches and the tint to "G3"; didn't have to touch the brightness/white level (kind of surprised at that).
My question is: does "G3" mean it is boosting green? I thought the red (or blue) phosphors were the ones that aged more quickly on these (old) OLEDs? I get boosting the color setting a few clicks, but don't remember having to adjust tint much on a calibration...so I am curious if that tracks with what we know about ageing for these early OLED panels.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
I've seen Chad B actually have to mess with the color/tint settings out of the box, just think it depends on the tv. My Sony A8F was like that new and stayed consistent on re-cal. What I have found so far, is that unlike plasmas which could stand a touchup on white balance every year, it appear the OLEDs can go two or three, or maybe more.

On tint and color control, I understand it but its terrible for me to try and explain. This is a good one though:

Simply, "color" is saturation of the colors, "tint" adds in or takes away green and magenta depending on which way you guy. I know these can help tweaks after you have your final WB results on a tv without CMS control, but is probably irrelevant now with LUTs and tv's with very good CMS adjustments.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have recently noticed while watching a show the brightness starts stepping down about half intensity.
Then shortly 5-10 minutes it may start stepping up to normal.
Power saver is OFF..

Any Ideas

24841 - 24849 of 24849 Posts